• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    And the water heater can be tapped for water as well....
    But I live in an RV so I just leave some water in the tank just in case. And if I see something big is coming, I flush it out and top it off fresh.
    I'm finding a lot of "prepper" benefits to Rv living..

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    And the water heater can be tapped for water as well....
    But I live in an RV so I just leave some water in the tank just in case. And if I see something big is coming, I flush it out and top it off fresh.
    I'm finding a lot of "prepper" benefits to Rv living..
    Yep. My way of 'prepping' has always been skills over stuff. It's not feasible to stock up a 3-yr supply of bottled water (stuff), but the pitcher setup enables (skills) the same long-term drinkable supply. Knowing where there's raw water nearby is also a good idea. :)

Nice Katadyn you're getting.
    An extra filter or two and you'd be set for a long time.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Yep. My way of 'prepping' has always been skills over stuff. It's not feasible to stock up a 3-yr supply of bottled water (stuff), but the pitcher setup enables (skills) the same long-term drinkable supply. Knowing where there's raw water nearby is also a good idea. :)

Nice Katadyn you're getting.
    An extra filter or two and you'd be set for a long time.
    Well I grew up in a timber, building shelters and fires because we were too poor to have a Nintendo. I camped out a lot, but couldn't afford flashlight batteries, so I bought an old kerosene hurricane lantern instead. I've slept on the ground with a chunk of wood for a pillow more than I'd like to admit. I figure I have a leg up on a lot of folks.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I’ve been using a Berkey for five years and love it.

I’m the last one on the line of SUD water from Four Way Water in Huntington. My meter is 1/2 mile from my house and that last 1/2 mile is my responsibility.

The SUD over-chlorinates the water and it is constantly full of sand due to frequent breaks in the 30-plus miles from the provider to my tap.

The Berkey removes the sand AND the chlorine.

If you can’t afford the Berkey system, get a knockoff SS dispenser and order the Berkey Filters separately.

You won’t regret it.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I also keep a few life straws on hand.

Additionally, I purchased some ceramic filters online and fashioned a system out of 5 gallon buckets. In a pinch, the plan is to use the five gallon bucket system to pre-filter pond or creek water prior to running it through the Berkey for drinking.

I hope it never comes to that, but I’m prepared if it does.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    I also keep a few life straws on hand.

Additionally, I purchased some ceramic filters online and fashioned a system out of 5 gallon buckets. In a pinch, the plan is to use the five gallon bucket system to pre-filter pond or creek water prior to running it through the Berkey for drinking.

I hope it never comes to that, but I’m prepared if it does.
    That's a good setup.

We lucked out. This place came with two wells; I had the pump pulled out of the secondary and a hand-pumped dropped in... for if/when the main well pump stopped running. Otherwise, it'd be buckets to the lower ditch. Not easy for us old folks, heavy, but we'd find a way.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    I know this seems kinda like a snooze thread... but ya know? I started it because I kept thinking about the thousands of people still stranded and trapped from Helene. They can maybe go a long time without power, even food... but not water. Prayers continue for them, and for all of us to never be in that situation.
    Yes. Back in the IL river bottoms, water is abundant. Everything you could ever pump is just 20' down. And perfectly clean and clear. Being here made me think about it a lot more. We have some surface water. A seasonal creek and a decent sized pond. But without a filter, it's all pretty useless..

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yes. And, there is more than one TGT'er who still lives in urban areas. City delivered water, drinkable or otherwise, isn't guaranteed.
    Yup. The city I live in about 4 weeks ago, had an issue with water being contaminated for a large portion of the city for a few days. Since it was a chemical issue, and not bacterial, boiling water wouldn't have worked.
    Didn't effect us, but about 2 miles away, lots of people were screwed. The incident reinforced to us why we have over 100 gallons of water stored, in addition to the filters.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    After our multiple break ins my wife and I each started carrying a bag of goodies that we didn't want stollen. We carried them with us to work every day. I've always had a big "go" bag. But since I got used to carrying this one, a maxpedition versicarry jumbo, I've been transitioning it to a mini "go" bag. I think this filter will live in it. It's got my large and small carry guns, a few holster choices. A couple power banks and some cables. A light or 2. A sharp knife, and a couple ways to make fire. Med kit, bug spray, water bottle, etc. enough to hunker a few uncomfortable days in the woods.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    ^^Maxpeditions rock. Excellent range or go bags. Your filter should fit.
    Yes. I have several. But I always want another. One versicarry is my dedicated DSLR bag, works great for easy camera access. One is my daily bag, and somewhere I have an offset single sling, maybe a Condor? It was a great motorcycle bag. But now it's full of Hiking gear for all the bikes I never take ..

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Yes. I have several. But I always want another. One versicarry is my dedicated DSLR bag, works great for easy camera access. One is my daily bag, and somewhere I have an offset single sling, maybe a Condor? It was a great motorcycle bag. But now it's full of Hiking gear for all the bikes I never take ..
    We have two, both in storage now, cause we have a range here at home & we're already at where we'd wanna 'go'. :peace:

Top Bottom