• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    Only one problem that I can think about this and that is when under severe stress like this, (a loved one catching a stray round during a fire fight), simply going to an emergency aid class isn't going to cut it. You will have tunnel vision from the fight and probably freak-out that it's someone you love that's hurt. There's reasons why the medical profession do not allow you to work on loved ones.

In order for this to be somewhat viable you'd have to put in as much, no, more practice with this as you do with your gun.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Only one problem that I can think about this and that is when under severe stress like this, (a loved one catching a stray round during a fire fight), simply going to an emergency aid class isn't going to cut it. You will have tunnel vision from the fight and probably freak-out that it's someone you love that's hurt. There's reasons why the medical profession do not allow you to work on loved ones.

In order for this to be somewhat viable you'd have to put in as much, no, more practice with this as you do with your gun.
    Are you suggesting first that no one should bother with this type of training because they will not be able to preform?

I disagree with that AND your premise about performance.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Whether or not you have a "Gun" in the house or home is irrelevant.

However, your call for combat life saver training is spot on! Accidents at home (falling off a ladder/running through a glass door/slipping in the shower/electrocution/grease fires/drowning/snake bite) kill more folks than gunshots inflicted by home-invaders.

Most people have no idea how to clear the airway, stop arterial & venous bleeding, splint a broken bone, or treat for shock and burns, much less how to apply a tourniquet, administer an IV, or cleanse and cover a wound.

Thanks for the post, it provokes thought (and hopefully individual action).

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Jam a tam!

Tapatalk sent it.

b84ca844-8dc3-2010.jpg

It is an informative video. I have medical training and i'm fixing to get some more.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    How former?

Dude, you are going to embarass yourself. Tampons are not the preferred item, but damned effective if used properly and if its that or your hand.

I have no military experience, and am certainly not some high speed, low drag type. But I HAVE made it a point to train with the best of the best. That includes firearms, field trauma, etc.

I do not get my training from the internet or by listening to folks without the credentials who have BTDT.

To answer your question, he discharged within the last 4 years. He is now back working for the DOS.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Nothing wrong with having a bag or two of Ringer's Saline Solution on hand for IV.

Administration can be easily learned.

Start with a grapefruit, then move on to a live subject.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Nothing wrong with having a bag or two of Ringer's Saline Solution on hand for IV.

Administration can be easily learned.

Start with a grapefruit, then move on to a live subject.

Where might I find some Ringers? Do I call Rampart to see if I use Ringers or D5W with Ringers Lactate?

In all seriousness
    Is there ANY legal issue with a non medically trained person administering an IV?

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Dude, you are going to embarass yourself.

Why do you always assume somebody is going say something negative?

I actually had a good line about tampons from back in the day that had nothing to do with the military.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Tampons are not the preferred item, but damned effective if used properly and if its that or your hand.

In a pinch yes they will work but tampons are not designed to handle large continuous amounts of blood. Actual bandages are cheap stock up.
    I have no military experience, and am certainly not some high speed, low drag type. But I HAVE made it a point to train with the best of the best. That includes firearms, field trauma, etc.

Neither do I but I HAVE made it a point to be on time for my 2 years of er shifts as a orthopedic surgical assistant in some of the crappiest hospitals in Dallas. The only reason I'm still not doing it is because the medic system is so screwed up and I don't like having to tell people they can't be treated because their insurance won't cover it.
    I do not get my training from the internet or by listening to folks without the credentials who have BTDT.

Neither do I, I got my training through college and private training and have BTDT minus being in a combat situation, I do proudly support anyone who has served combat situation or not and would never criticize them for anything they do no matter how strange it may seem because they have earned the right to be a little strange if they want to.
    To answer your question, he discharged within the last 4 years. He is now back working for the DOS.

I was hoping you were going say he was/is a SEAL from back in the day because I had a good one about how some tampons were the size of throw pillows back then.

Also keep in mind that it is possible to be allergic to the stuff different tampons are made of and depending on how severe they are allergic to something it could throw them into anaphylaxis and since epinephrine is rx only and not available to the public you could end up doing more harm than good. I know this because my wife is severely allergic to Kotex and has had to be hospitalized twice. If you have some in a med kit make sure they are hypoallergenic.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Training for worst case is always a good thing, if someone is in immediate danger of dying anything you can do to stop bleeding is usually a good thing. Even if someone puts on an un needed tourniquet the ambulance will likely arrive before it causes any lasting damage. Even for sucking chest wounds don't take a huge amount of know how to keep a person breathing until EMTs arrive. As far as treatment for shock, a few simple things can make a world of difference.

I don't think anyone should discount training because they think they will freak out if it's someone they love. Educated and scared is infinatly better than uneducated and scared.

As far as tampons go, I'm no expert but I believe allergic reactions are pretty rare and if it comes down to stuffing a tampon in a gunshot wound I would guess the situation would warrant the risk. I think it would be easier to apply pressure with a pad though...

Top Bottom