• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I just think it is ruining good venison;)
    You can make good chicken fried steak from a leather belt if you pound on it long enough.

Have a friend I give a deer to occasionally. He brags about how good CFS from the back straps are. A little piece of me dies every time I hear him say it, lol
    You ever had the chance to cook on hot salt blocks? My Chef buddy has 3 different color/types salt blocks. Heat the salt up itself the cook on it. Thin slices of backstrap for about a minute.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You ever had the chance to cook on hot salt blocks? My Chef buddy has 3 different color/types salt blocks. Heat the salt up itself the cook on it. Thin slices of backstrap for about a minute.
    Mrs. Hoji just informed me that we have a salt block for cooking. I showed her this post and she thought it sounded awesome. Thanks! We will be giving that a try

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    You can make good chicken fried steak from a leather belt if you pound on it long enough.

Have a friend I give a deer to occasionally. He brags about how good CFS from the back straps are. A little piece of me dies every time I hear him say it, lol

Hoji,

The BETTER the meat the BETTER the CFS.

Also, I know so many "trophy hunters" that do NOT eat venison, that I essentially don't hunt WT anymore, as I'm sometimes given MORE venison each season than I have room to store. = One year I was offered FIVE whole WT, 1/4 of an elk, 1/2 of a cinnamon bear & about 100# of bison ground into chili meat..

FWIW, I never turn down FREE game/meat, as any excess goes to Hunters for the Hungry or to a friend with the Salvation Army.

yours, satx

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas

No doubt. I can’t for the life of me figure why people want to chicken fry one of the prime cuts of venison.

That’s what kind quarters are for. After you tenderize them of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Briskets went stupidly expensive! I was checking some out a few weeks ago, and I went into sticker shock looking at the prices.
    They were on sale here for $1.69 a pound. The wifegoes shopping weds day when the add broke & they were out. I actually work @ that store for years when it was high volume. Not having add items on the day the add breaks is just pitiful. The weekly add that comes in the mail is 1 sheet of paper. HEB does not even put one out. Grocery stores are screwing us with lube or a kiss in abig way.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    They were on sale here for $1.69 a pound. The wifegoes shopping weds day when the add broke & they were out. I actually work @ that store for years when it was high volume. Not having add items on the day the add breaks is just pitiful. The weekly add that comes in the mail is 1 sheet of paper. HEB does not even put one out. Grocery stores are screwing us with lube or a kiss in abig way.

I love smoking briskets, but they have gotten too expensive now. And I love brisket, so it's cheaper for us to eat out if we want brisket. We do have a few great places for BBQ brisket.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I love smoking briskets, but they have gotten too expensive now. And I love brisket, so it's cheaper for us to eat out if we want brisket. We do have a few great places for BBQ brisket.
    You ever smoked beef shoulders? If you can buy the shoulder with the blade attached whole untrimmed in a cyrovac for what a brisket use to cost try it.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    You ever smoked beef shoulders? If you can buy the shoulder with the blade attached whole untrimmed in a cyrovac for what a brisket use to cost try it.
    I've tried beef shoulder clod at Kreuz market out in Lockhart and it was really good. Same thing?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    baboon,

Brisket may well come from a PRIME carcass but remains what SHOULD BE a CHEAP & is a TOUGH CUT of meat. = It's the LONG cooking & smoke that changes the character of the tough cut to the tender/flavorful BBQ Brisket that ALL BBQ-fans love.

yours, satx

Top Bottom