• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Two things are arising that I can see. The other parties insurance is paying for the damages because they were at fault.

First of all, they don't want to total the vehicle, probably due to it's value. Industry standard is about 75% to 80% of the current value of the vehicle to amount of damages to repair costs to total the vehicle. When the amount of damages exceed that threshold, they usually determine the vehicle a total loss, pay the current market value of the vehicle, and they send the vehicle to salvage auction to recoup some of the money they have expended.

Second, this is YOUR vehicle. You hold the upper hand here at all times. You get to pick and choose what repair shop does the work, what parts are used, and whether the vehicle when repairs are completed as to whether those repairs meet your expectations as to be a safe and reliable vehicle.

Two things you need to do. One get your own insurance company involved, which you are doing. Get an attorney involved and sue the other parties insurance company.

Personally, even though I have worked in the collision industry many years ago, and in some really great shops where quality of work set was very high standard, when a vehicle approaches that threshold of being totalled and are repaired, there are always problems with that vehicle after the repairs are done, and even if you accept the vehicle after the repairs are done, time later, when you decide to sell or trade that vehicle in, those repairs show up and will automatically reduce it's value. And by law, those repairs have to be disclosed when selling it, or trading it by a dealership. Me personally, I'd push very hard to have the vehicle totaled as well. I would never fully trust that vehicle or feel it was as good as it was before the damages occurred.
    DK Firearms

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The vehicle market sucks at the moment to replace the truck.. but I am pushing for it to be totaled as what they have to do to repair it is likely to have issues down the road.

Thing is I like that truck. Comparable trim level these days don't have the same features I have now so I lose there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The vehicle market sucks at the moment to replace the truck.. but I am pushing for it to be totaled as what they have to do to repair it is likely to have issues down the road.

Thing is I like that truck. Comparable trim level these days don't have the same features I have now so I lose there.

Thing is, you can push the issue to have them replace your vehicle with one of the same year and mileage, and the trim level. That is another option to your advantage.

It's one of those things that most insurance companies almost never talk about because it's more effort on their part to have to then find that vehicle to replace yours.

I'd sure do some checking up on that. The other parties insurance company is already on the hook for the damages. They are going to use every means they can, to get out as cheaply as possible. This is why, it's imperative that you get an attorney and send them a very clear message through the attorney, they are not going to low-ball you, or shortcut the repairs if you so decide to have the vehicle repaired.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Yeah the standard 17c formula used by many insurance puts my diminished value at $1440.....yeah right.

I am at the dealers body shop, good experiences with them in the past.
    If the truck you drove when we met up at Academy is the one you're referencing, it is a nice one. $1400 diminished value, they can smoke some pole!

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Two things are arising that I can see. The other parties insurance is paying for the damages because they were at fault.

First of all, they don't want to total the vehicle, probably due to it's value. Industry standard is about 75% to 80% of the current value of the vehicle to amount of damages to repair costs to total the vehicle. When the amount of damages exceed that threshold, they usually determine the vehicle a total loss, pay the current market value of the vehicle, and they send the vehicle to salvage auction to recoup some of the money they have expended.

Second, this is YOUR vehicle. You hold the upper hand here at all times. You get to pick and choose what repair shop does the work, what parts are used, and whether the vehicle when repairs are completed as to whether those repairs meet your expectations as to be a safe and reliable vehicle.

Two things you need to do. One get your own insurance company involved, which you are doing. Get an attorney involved and sue the other parties insurance company.

Personally, even though I have worked in the collision industry many years ago, and in some really great shops where quality of work set was very high standard, when a vehicle approaches that threshold of being totalled and are repaired, there are always problems with that vehicle after the repairs are done, and even if you accept the vehicle after the repairs are done, time later, when you decide to sell or trade that vehicle in, those repairs show up and will automatically reduce it's value. And by law, those repairs have to be disclosed when selling it, or trading it by a dealership. Me personally, I'd push very hard to have the vehicle totaled as well. I would never fully trust that vehicle or feel it was as good as it was before the damages occurred.

Well stated.

I was going to say that repairs done properly are safe but getting your truck back to 100% isn't going to happen. Fighting for diminished value is very much warranted and should be successful. I agree with trying to have it totaled first. With used vehicle prices going through the roof right now they may fight a little harder to keep you in it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Well stated.

I was going to say that repairs done properly are safe but getting your truck back to 100% isn't going to happen. Fighting for diminished value is very much warranted and should be successful. I agree with trying to have it totaled first. With used vehicle prices going through the roof right now they may fight a little harder to keep you in it.

Exactly. The best auto collision repair shops can't repair a vehicle that approaches the threshold to being totaled back to 100% factory before the damages occurred. I have seen things that surfaced months after the repairs were done, that were clearly part of the damages that occurred. Owner accepted the vehicle as being repaired, so they were then on the hook for getting the vehicle repaired. And if the vehicle was still under the factory warranty period, the vehicle manufacturer or dealership won't fix the problems under the warranty because they were caused by fault of the accident.

I have seem engines, transmissions, transfer cases, differentials, electronics, ect. that failed months after the repairs were completed. And the vehicle's factory warranty does't cover damages that were of no fault of theirs.

If the vehicle is totaled, and goes to an insurance salvage auction, as totaled vehicle it will be bought for part only. Unless Texas has changed the laws concerning totaled vehicles, Texas won't issue a regular title for the vehicle, only a salvage title, which means the vehicle can be used for parts, but can't be repaired and registered legally.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    If the vehicle is totaled, and goes to an insurance salvage auction, as totaled vehicle it will be bought for part only. Unless Texas has changed the laws concerning totaled vehicles, Texas won't issue a regular title for the vehicle, only a salvage title, which means the vehicle can be used for parts, but can't be repaired and registered legally.

This is BS. I have a registered regularly driven 1995 F150 on a salvage title.

Makes insuring it a liability only thing as its been put on salvage
    title but the above about registration is hog wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    This is BS. I have a registered regularly driven 1995 F150 on a salvage title.

Makes insuring it a liability only thing as its been put on salvage
    title but the above about registration is hog wash.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Well f&%@, I hate involving lawyers but I may have too.... I used to have some connections in that area but no longer. I don't even have any good references any more. I won't go to any that advertise on the radio stations or most mass media on principle.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Exactly. The best auto collision repair shops can't repair a vehicle that approaches the threshold to being totaled back to 100% factory before the damages occurred. I have seen things that surfaced months after the repairs were done, that were clearly part of the damages that occurred. Owner accepted the vehicle as being repaired, so they were then on the hook for getting the vehicle repaired. And if the vehicle was still under the factory warranty period, the vehicle manufacturer or dealership won't fix the problems under the warranty because they were caused by fault of the accident.

I have seem engines, transmissions, transfer cases, differentials, electronics, ect. that failed months after the repairs were completed. And the vehicle's factory warranty does't cover damages that were of no fault of theirs.

I had one that was totaled, sold at salvage and wasn't long before I started getting parking tickets. Had to get the insurance company to intervene. I assume the vehicle was registered to the new owner but I don't know.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Really its not a problem to drive a salvage/rebuilt vehicle.
    7b1d147ec4a5bf8095f981a5805136fd.jpg

95 F150 bought transferred and registered on a salvage/ rebuilt title.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Really its not a problem to drive a salvage/rebuilt vehicle.
    7b1d147ec4a5bf8095f981a5805136fd.jpg

95 F150 bought transferred and registered on a salvage/ rebuilt title.

A vehicle can't be registered and legally used on public streets with a salvage title. A vehicle can be repaired, and if it meets the inspection requirements and is deemed safe to operate, they will issue a "rebuilt" title for that vehicle and then, it can be registered and legally operated on public roads.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A lot of used parts yards, buy totaled vehicles, to part them out for their parts. They are issued a salvage title to simply show that they legally own the vehicle and can then dispose of it as they choose to.

These part yards, will spend say, $5000 for totaled vehicle with less than say, 50K on the odometer. They turn around and sell the engine, transmission driveline and any other usable parts for well over $15K, and make a tidy profit on the usable parts. Then have the rest crushed and sold to steel scrap yard for whatever steel is going for currently. There is huge profit in totaled vehicles.

Top Bottom