• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Looking for some discussion from any of you who have upgraded your trigger. What did you use and were you happy with it? So far, the consensus I have heard is Timney, APEX, and CMC. What say you? Thanks in advance.
    Don’t overlook the Vogel trigger from Glocktriggers.com, very nice. Despite being listed as a competition trigger it’s just fine for carry.

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I got an upgrade from Ghost Inc. It's an affordable start and a couple of guys I train with really like theirs. I'll report back once I get it installed and put some rounds down range with it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MTA

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Alright, honest feedback. Installed the Ghost 3.5 lb. Trigger "upgrade". Not impressed. I racked the slide and it kept getting hung up. I really thought I had messed it up. I disassembled and reassembled a few times. Nope. It just didn't work well. The trigger felt no different. On fact, it felt worse. I'll be looking at Timney and Apex tomorrow.

So there ya have it. I know others have had good reports. Mine was not one of those.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I tried the ghost connector as well as some other brand on my gen3 19. The ghost reduced the pull only about a half pound on its own. Verified with a pull gauge. That was good enough for me. It also shortened the reset slightly which is also an improvement imo. Then I did the home polish to internals and that smoothed things up a bit. However, the best factory trigger mod was contouring the "safety" to be perfectly flush with the rest of the trigger when pulled.

Added the hackathon front sight and an oversized mag release and it's good enough to stay the way it is.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For connectors, one well worth checking out is the Ghost Edge. It eliminates the "hitch" in the Glock trigger pull so you have a smooth, rolling break. Here's an example of someone testing various connectors to map out the force curves. You'll see the trace for the Edge at ~10:30. If I had to describe it I'd say most of the standard and reduced weight Glock connectors still feel like a staplegun, just with varying weights. The Edge connector feels more like the rolling break of a decent revolver DA pull, just without the typical 8-12+lb pull of some revolvers. I'm not saying it feels anything like a well worked over Python trigger or other nice DA revolver pull. Just that you can vaguely see a similarity.

Another side benefit of the improved force curve is you typically end up with a 3.5-4.5lb pull, depending on the generation Glock and the variance with your individual example. This gives you a LOT of room to work with, to avoid resorting to some of the more unreliable aftermarket mods out there. On my well-used gen2 and gen3's, with a 6lb trigger return spring (stiffer than stock, but reduces actual pull weight), I pretty consistently get ~3.5lb pulls. And that's with a stock firing pin safety spring and striker spring, so 100% reliability. Add an NY1 TRS, and on those same guns I'm getting 4.5-5.0lb, with a pull that feels very much like a DA revolver, plus a stiff reset.

Also, if anyone is having issues with a connector, whether OEM or aftermarket, I'd recommend checking tension on it. They're supposed to have a degree of bend in them away from the trigger housing. Too little or too much can both cause problems. If the slide is dragging, there's a good chance the connector is bent too far outward from the trigger housing, putting too much tension on the slide.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A striker fired pistol will never have a "great" trigger. You can lighten it some and eliminate some take up and over travel, that's about it.
    You need to try a PPQ or TP9SF. They have great triggers out of the box. An M&P with the Apex kit is great, too.

What you say indeed applies to Glocks, though... About all you can do is make the mushiness lighter, and that actually makes it worse.

The OP never stated what purpose.

For a defensive gun, other than OEM, personally I'd only trust either an Overwatch Precision trigger or the Apex Tactical one. Both are quality manufacturers with a good reputation and good degree of testing in the market.

I've had quite a few Overwatch triggers and never had a single problem. My current favorite from them is the FALX, which mirrors the same curved profile as stock, but feels like a much crisper pull due to the aluminum trigger shoe.

Timney
    To be clear, if we're talking about defensive purposes, I would NEVER recommend the Timney trigger under any circumstances. It is not safe for an HD or carry gun IMO. They don't market it for that purpose anyways, so it's nothing against Timney.

That trigger is well-made, but the design introduces some potential issues and reduced margin for error when it comes to more of a hard use gun, like for defense/carry. Here's a bit more detail about the mechanics of this trigger. In testing on the below G17 (gen3 RTF2 w/ Ghost Edge connector), I was getting 2lbs 3oz on average. Maybe fun or cool for competition, but definitely has no business on a defensive gun.

Trigger with pre-travel stop fully released (no reduction)

View attachment 298260

Trigger at rest, pre-travel stop fully released (no reduction)
    The trigger bar still sits in the drop safety ledge. If pressed downward, it does not move the sear. The drop safety appears to be intact.

View attachment 298261

Trigger partially pulled
    This is the extent to which the trigger can be pulled before it is fully off the drop safety ledge and begins to press the sear downwards.

View attachment 298262

Trigger and sear fully depressed
    This is the extent to which the sear depresses. If you reference the back of the slot for the drop safety, between this and the previous picture you can get an idea of the degree of travel.

View attachment 298263

Sear
    Take note of the sear design. To clarify, there is nothing that restricts sear movement. This also converts the gun to a fully-tensioned striker. In the same vein as the SIG P320, theoretically it is possible that significant enough inertia from a drop could cause the sear to bounce enough to release the striker, independent of the trigger bar moving. As others have found this trigger does not appear to disable the firing pin safety. So the FPS would still be engaged and likely prevent the striker from fully falling.

View attachment 298264
    Do you recall when you took several of us out to Best of the West something like 10 years ago? What did you have in your Glock that day? That's the best feeling Glock I've shot.

Not that it was great, just better than all the other Glock turds ;)

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You need to try a PPQ or TP9SF. They indeed have great triggers out of the box. An M&P with the Apex kit is great, too.

What you say indeed applies to Glocks, though... About all you can do is make the mushiness lighter, and that actually makes it worse.

Do you recall when you took several of us out to Best of the West something like 10 years ago? What did you have in your Glock that day? That's the best feeling Glock I've shot.

Yeah, lol, man that's been a long time! ;-) It was a gen2 G17 with a Ghost Edge connector and a 6lb TRS (stock is 5lb), so it would have been right at a 3.5lb pull. I also always use a factory FPS spring and striker spring, so the only other thing would have been the fact that gun is so well worn the trigger bar and striker are nice and smooth.

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You need to try a PPQ or TP9SF. They have great triggers out of the box. An M&P with the Apex kit is great, too.

Mine doesn't feel mushy, just too heavy. Has great action though. I am going with Timney and see how it feels. After that, if there is no improvement, I'll run what I have.

Reactions: MTA

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Then I don't think you've ever felt a good trigger :laughing:
    Glock triggers have a very distinct reset. That's the only positive thing I have to say about them.
    Well, I have shot lots of P320, P365, CZ, Staccato, M&P 2.0.....I'd say I have a pretty decent reference form which to derive some knowledge.

I get it. You hate Glocks. To each his own. I wouldn't keep something that felt bad or shitty to me.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I get it. You hate Glocks.
    Hate isn't the right word. Disappointed at the hype, perhaps. Apathy might fit best.

I've got a G17, and don't dislike it enough to sell it... I put a Ghost Edge kit in it and tried several different spring combinations, and sure the trigger got lighter but going lighter actually made it feel worse. I actually prefer the way it feels with the Edge connector and the heavier springs.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Looking for some discussion from any of you who have upgraded your trigger. What did you use and were you happy with it? So far, the consensus I have heard is Timney, APEX, and CMC. What say you? Thanks in advance.

I don't know if you've chosen your trigger yet, I've tried all the after market Glock triggers, and the best one for me is the Overwatch Precision.

The creep is short/smooth and a clean break, and very short reset. Zero "sponge" at all. I think it's a no-brainer for Glock guys.
    Glock19.jpg

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I don't know if you've chosen your trigger yet, I've tried all the after market Glock triggers, and the best one for me is the Overwatch Precision.

The creep is short/smooth and a clean break, and very short reset. Zero "sponge" at all. I think it's a no-brainer for Glock guys.
    View attachment 303074
    I'll check it out. Appreciate it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hate isn't the right word. Disappointed at the hype, perhaps. Apathy might fit best.

I've got a G17, and don't dislike it enough to sell it... I put a Ghost Edge kit in it and tried several different spring combinations, and sure the trigger got lighter but going lighter actually made it feel worse. I actually prefer the way it feels with the Edge connector and the heavier springs.

Yeah, Glock triggers are never "great". At the end of the day, all Glock trigger combos except the Timney (which is NOT safe outside of competition) are partially cocking and releasing the striker. So it's always varying degrees of staple gun feel. Some can be quite decent for what they are, but certainly never amazing like a finely tuned 1911 trigger. Certainly nothing worth hyping up.

Another trigger worth considering is the Overwatch Falx. The profile is like the stock trigger, except the shoe is metal. There are some other enhancements to it, like the NP3-coated trigger bar, pre-travel reduction, etc. That's all nice, but the thing I like about it is it's all metal, so it eliminates any flex from the stock trigger shoe.

Current setup I'm working on testing is modified NY1 trigger return springs and lighter striker spring combos. I'm not optimistic, but trying for fun anyways. I'm generally pessimistic about striker springs lighter than stock, since it seems to pretty quickly result in light strikes. Stock weight is 5.5lbs. Based on reports from others, it seems 4.5-5.0lbs is a gray area where it might still function reliably, but below that seems to be consistently unreliable for factory ammo.

I like the feel of the NY1 TRS, though the weight is just a little heavier than I'd prefer. I've experimented with lighter aftermarket coil springs inside of it, but it seems to make a minimal difference in overall pull weight. It appears the striker spring is the major contributor there. That makes sense because the stock coil TRS is an assisting spring that's pulling in the same direction as you when pulling the trigger. So it's countering some of the weight from the striker spring. Moving to an NY TRS, you no longer have that assistance and have to deal with the full striker weight.

Since some might think the NY TRS sounds ridiculous, I'll explain why I'm interested in it. The stock Glock trigger has a light pre-travel, reaches a wall, stacks in weight, the break is sharp or at least immediate, and the trigger effectively "jumps" backwards in over-travel since you're moving from that stacked weight to immediately almost no weight in the pull. I personally can't stand that jump, or what I call the "hitch" in the trigger pull of jumping from heavy weight to almost no weight, while still having over-travel.

With the NY TRS, you have more of a constant weight through 100% of the trigger travel. It feels vaguely like a DA revolver trigger in that it's more of a smooth stroke through 100% of the travel. Combine this with a Ghost Edge connector and you've reduced the feeling and abruptness of the wall to almost nothing. That gives a very linear feeling to the pull, which personally I like quite a bit. You also get a very forceful reset which is quite nice. The main issue is the increased weight. In some Glocks, the NY1 could be more like 7-8lbs. In some of my well-worn gen2's and gen3's, fortunately it's more like the 5-6lb range. That's a totally serviceable range IMO, though I'm experimenting to see if I can drop that another .5-1.0lb safely.

Here's the current test mule, with a Brownells ACRO slide, RTF2 frame, Overwatch DAT trigger, Ghost Edge connector, Apex Tactical polished firing pin safety, NY1 TRS with a 12lb coil inside (stock is 17lb), and a Kagwerks slide release (it's a game changer). The pull currently measures right at 5.0lbs. I am pretty happy with that considering it's still a stock striker spring.

IMG_1317_tn.jpg

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Why's that?
    It moves it entirely out of the way of impeding grip. So you can achieve as high and aggressive a grip as possible. Here's an example. The base of my support thumb is basically right on top of where the stock slide release would normally be. Trust me, the thing looks weird and looks like a gimmick at first, but it works well.

Granted, probably most people don't have as aggressive of a support hand grip and have their wrist backed off a bit more. If that's the case, they probably don't have an issue with premature lockback or failure to lock on the last round anyways, so it wouldn't be a necessary mod.

20210828_114546_tn.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom