• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    People take themselves too seriously.

Glock and 1911 owners are chief among them sometimes.

Since I no longer have Glocks or 1911s and I never used them to gage my self worth and personal identity I will happily poke fun at all you all who are given to opjectophilia
    Well, there is a balance here. To be good at any endeavor, one has to take it somewhat seriously. It could even mean life or death in a given situation. I see your point,but the key is balance. Is my self worth in my Glocks? No. Do I take my training for TG and 3 gun serious enough to look at upgrading where I can? Sure. I'm not competing to lose. I want to win. The point of this thread was to get educated, and continue to improve my craft. We have never arrived. Even someone of high caliber like Tu Lam tells us this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Well, there is a balance here. To be good at any endeavor, one has to take it somewhat seriously. It could even mean life or death in a given situation. I see your point,but the key is balance. Is my self worth in my Glocks? No. Do I take my training for TG and 3 gun serious enough to look at upgrading where I can? Sure. I'm not competing to lose. I want to win. The point of this thread was to get educated, and continue to improve my craft. We have never arrived. Even someone of high caliber like Tu Lam tells us this.

I'm talking people that will fight or end friendship over Glock versus 1911 or 9mm versus 45. They are idiots easy to make fun of.

Now, since I'm a M&P convert.....

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    What is the intended purpose of the gun you are “upgrading”? Competition ? Range toy?
    If it is for your EDC, my suggestion is to leave your gun stock. Upgrade the sights at most.

There is a reason that police departments do not allow their officers to do trigger upgrades to their service pistols.

My Glocks, other than the "$.25 trigger job" of internal polishing, have no replacement triggers or mods, since their only function is for home defense and concealed carry. They were purchased as utilitarian tools, and with the pricing and the reliability, they are very good in that role.

A striker fired pistol will never have a "great" trigger. You can lighten it some and eliminate some take up and over travel, that's about it.

I've always said that if you'd never handled a 1911 with a good trigger, you'd be OK with a Glock trigger. Once you pull the trigger on a nice 1911, you're ruined. And, this is coming from an admitted Glock fan.

I agree. To have a "great trigger", IMO, buy a gun that has one, or close to it, out of the box. For me, a "great trigger" setup is for my range toys, and something like a Staccato P, or a CZ Shadow 2 Orange would fit that bill better for me than a Taran Tactical Glock 34. For now, my 1911s (Les Baer, Wilson Combat) fit that bill, but I have an EDC X9L coming in soon.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Take a look at/for "The humble marksman" (https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHumbleMarksman/videos) on Youtube. He has quite a few videos on different guns and some of the modifications he's made to them for various competition disciplines. And he gives his opinions on the pros and cons of the changes.

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Meh, I’ve got Glocks and the stock triggers are fine with me. Maybe I’m just not good enough with my technique to where I would notice if the triggers are bad or not.
    Or maybe your shooting skills and techniques are fine and you are flexible with solid fundamentals and can shoot any decent trigger.

Lots of trigger snobs out there. Serious competition and precision shooting certainly benefit from very light, very crisp triggers. But most don’t use them for either.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I have a G23 gen 3 that actually has the best trigger I've ever felt in a Glock. It is 100% stock that I polished all the connecting surfaces, and I have a lot of rounds through it. Like all Glocks it has a long initial pull but unlike others I have tried it then has a wall with a crisp break. It's a little heavy for my preference but only by 1/2lb or so. I've tried various connectors in it and while they will reduce the weight, I lose the crisp break.
    My Timmney is very light and smooth but there is the long initial pull and creep before the trigger breaks after it hits a very soft wall. I also feel it is slow on the reset. In reality I find it kind of mushy feeling. All personal preference.
    You need to just try out everything you can until you find what you like the best. Back when I was playing around with the different connectors and springs I decided the double diamond was the one for me. My dad hated it. We can argue all day about which is best but in the end it all comes down to which is best for you. Really helps to keep the cost down if you have a buddy or 2 that are in the same boat. That way you can all get something and loan it to everyone and then decide which you like best.

Contact Timney on the laggy return. They will send you a new spring for it. I had the same issue and they sent one and it made a noticeable improvement. To be fair I bought one right after they released them. They may have made this a permanent change since then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    My first carry pistol was a G19. All I did was the .25 polish and it was fine for SD, what it was designed to be.

I gave that pistol to my stepdaughter for her protection. Then I bought a Ruger SR9c to replace it. Another 9mm compact pistol design that has a Glock licensed trigger system. I did the .25 polish, changed the connector out to a Ghost connector, and used some flourocarbon grease on the connector. It has the same trigger length as the G19, but a nicely defined wall. I actually shoot it better than my G34, probably because of ergonomics.

For my USPSA, I started out shooting a double/single trigger, which I didn't like for that purpose. A fellow shooter that was a gunsmith recommended the Para P14 2011, and worked up one with a great trigger mod. It was a beautifully crisp 2lb pull, something you would never have in a carry pistol. But that spoiled me. When I had to give it up because arth in the thumbs made shooting a lot not only painful, but I could no longer reach the manual safety, I bought a G34 to compete in IDPA.

The switch from single action trigger to the Glock trigger was traumatic. I love crisp triggers w zero takeup and that's never going to be found in a safe Glock trigger.

So I tried various triggers. I currently have the JohnnyGlocks competition trigger in the G34 with his polished striker. It would be butter smooth if it wasn't for the crappy plastic striker channel Glock uses. I tried polishing it (the channel liner), but I can still feel the slightest bit of grit, which I'm fussy about.

All in all, I strongly believe that the best thing to do is the .25 polish and the (-) connector, with a bit of synthetic gun grease at contact points.... all else is money wasted!!!

But gun guys, esp competitors, like to fuss with our guns. So be it.

Last edited:

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    If Glocks are perfection why do you have to change so much on them?

Same as 1911 guys. Look at the sheer number of aftermarket stuff for 1911. My 2011 was highly modified for USPSA competition. I put enough into it that I could have bought an STI if I had all the money at once.

Timney seems to be the consensus. Nothing wrong with my stock trigger or my shooting. I am consistent out to 50 yards. Looking for competing purposes. That is it. No rabbit hole to go down. Just exploring options.

Not criticizing, but that would have been useful information in the OP.

I like my JohhnyGlocks trigger a lot, it's pretty smooth compared to OEM, but after putting it in I feel it wasn't worth $300 (with the polished striker).

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I've never upgraded any of my craftsman ratchets or the dozen or so Glocks I've owned.

Hell, never put anything but milspec parts in ARs either. But I did have an eotech addiction till they phucked me on their recall and sig chicom options are good enough now.

Putting serial numbers on with a sticker in an environment where its guaranteed to see solvents and oils is malpractice imho.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The OP never stated what purpose.

For a defensive gun, other than OEM, personally I'd only trust either an Overwatch Precision trigger or the Apex Tactical one. Both are quality manufacturers with a good reputation and good degree of testing in the market.

I've had quite a few Overwatch triggers and never had a single problem. My current favorite from them is the FALX, which mirrors the same curved profile as stock, but feels like a much crisper pull due to the aluminum trigger shoe.

Timney
    To be clear, if we're talking about defensive purposes, I would NEVER recommend the Timney trigger under any circumstances. It is not safe for an HD or carry gun IMO. They don't market it for that purpose anyways, so it's nothing against Timney.

That trigger is well-made, but the design introduces some potential issues and reduced margin for error when it comes to more of a hard use gun, like for defense/carry. Here's a bit more detail about the mechanics of this trigger. In testing on the below G17 (gen3 RTF2 w/ Ghost Edge connector), I was getting 2lbs 3oz on average. Maybe fun or cool for competition, but definitely has no business on a defensive gun.

Trigger with pre-travel stop fully released (no reduction)

20210204_200011_tn.jpg

Trigger at rest, pre-travel stop fully released (no reduction)
    The trigger bar still sits in the drop safety ledge. If pressed downward, it does not move the sear. The drop safety appears to be intact.

20210204_195911_tn.jpg

Trigger partially pulled
    This is the extent to which the trigger can be pulled before it is fully off the drop safety ledge and begins to press the sear downwards.

20210204_195942_tn.jpg

Trigger and sear fully depressed
    This is the extent to which the sear depresses. If you reference the back of the slot for the drop safety, between this and the previous picture you can get an idea of the degree of travel.

20210204_200143_tn.jpg

Sear
    Take note of the sear design. To clarify, there is nothing that restricts sear movement. This also converts the gun to a fully-tensioned striker. In the same vein as the SIG P320, theoretically it is possible that significant enough inertia from a drop could cause the sear to bounce enough to release the striker, independent of the trigger bar moving. As others have found this trigger does not appear to disable the firing pin safety. So the FPS would still be engaged and likely prevent the striker from fully falling.

DSC_0091_tn.jpg

Last edited:

rogerdmillerco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Looking for some discussion from any of you who have upgraded your trigger. What did you use and were you happy with it? So far, the consensus I have heard is Timney, APEX, and CMC. What say you? Thanks in advance.
    The idea of paying a premium for a Glock and having to replace the trigger and the sights to make it serviceable is hilarious.

Top Bottom