• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The difference is incredible. I upgraded mine about 9 months ago when I found a Samsung 840 SSD 500G on sale for $179.
    Just picked up a 250G for my wife last month. Made her VERY happy.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    Did you mount the SSD internally, or use an external interface like USB?
    internal. In fact my current pc case (Antec Nineteen Hundred) has 12 hotswap HD bays and 2 SSD bays (6 in the main compartment & 6 in the lower one *2 stacks of 3 HD slots next to each other*). Also those same HD slots have mounts for SSDs built into them. So I can mount 14 SSDs if I wanted hehe

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    6 seconds to desktop here. There has been (read Black Friday @ Newegg) and will continue to be great deals on SSDs through Christmas and January.
    Win10, BF4, and Eve Online on the SSD. Everything else on standard SATA HDDs.

Last edited:

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I just put 3 500GB SSDs in my gaming computer (was the same price as 1 1TB drive) already had a 240GB in it (filled up fast). All are Sata3 and man does it help with downloads. When I downloaded Fallout 4 on a Mechanical HDD it took me an about an hour due to slow write speed when I downloaded again on my computer with SSD it took about 6 mins. Mechanical HDDs do not do my internet connection any justice.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Drop an M.2 SSD in a computer if the motherboard supports it and be even more amazed. SATA has seen it's days for sure. Still a completely viable and awesome inexpensive option to use for flash storage though. Back when I built computers for people, I always asked if they wanted an SSD, it is an night and day difference. With the new 3D tech and M.2 stuff out and costing a kidney, it will be a matter of time before they are the norm and people won't even want to consider an old HDD. Even servers are coming with them now.

FlawleZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2015
    Well people just didn't realize that anytime they were waiting on their computer for anything, it was the storage media. Modern processors and memory are so bottlenecked by the storage mediums it's sad. It's been that way for many years.

Here's a video I made over 5 years ago when I made the jump to an SSD. Entire boot from bios to desktop, running a batch file including photo shop and various programs, then closing them and shutting the pc down. All in under 60 seconds.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    This has me interested. If I should decide to upgrade to a SSD in my main laptop, how do you do the transfer of files, OS, etc in the easiest way? I should add I have changed computers many times over the years and generally just do a complete reload of data and programs. Have never tried a bit by bit copy.

FlawleZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2015
    This has me interested. If I should decide to upgrade to a SSD in my main laptop, how do you do the transfer of files, OS, etc in the easiest way? I should add I have changed computers many times over the years and generally just do a complete reload of data and programs. Have never tried a bit by bit copy.

You have some options. First you need to assess what size drive and how much data you currently have and are looking to backup. Secondly you'll need to make sure you purchase an SSD with an appropriate size to accommodate your data. You can use tools like Norton Ghost which will make a bit by bit clone of your current drive to your SSD.

Personally I don't recommend doing this if it's avoidable. The cleanest way is just perform a clean install and just copy over your pictures and files from a USB thumb drive.

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    I agree. Burn whatever files you want to move over to a DVD/CD/etc. Perform clean install of OS on new SSD. Reload the programs that you need.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    You can either clone the drive with the software that comes with the SSD if you go OCZ or Samsung or do a fresh install which is probably best anyways and just copy over what you want manually.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    For the laptop file transfer if you don't want to reinstal the OS get one of these: http://amzn.com/B00HJZJI84

Plug your SSD in and xfer the files to the new drive using the software included in the Samsung drive.

Best upgrade I've made to any computer less than 3 years old.

Top Bottom