Military Camp

Update - Advice/Opinions on converting a Ruger Bearcat to 22 WMR, please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Ruger Single Sixes have been convertible since the early 1960's.

I think the .223 bore (if his gun was made to SAAMI spec) might work better with lead ... but almost all 22WMR is jacketed, right?
    Texas SOT

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I was prepared to pull the proverbial trigger on buying a shopkeeper model and having it converted to 22wmr.

I just ran across some information that has caused me to pause on that project.

Ballistics by the Inch (BBTI) reports actual performance of the CCI Velocitor (40 gr) 22lr, out of a Bearcat 4.2" barrel, @ 1,044 fps.

The CCI WMR (40 gr) out of a sightly longer Rough Rider 4.62" barrel, the closest comparable plartform, is reported at 1,046 fps.
    AND the Shopkeepers shorter barrel might actually translate into less velocity for the same weight bullet in WMR bullet than the Velocitor (22lr) from the 4.2" barrel Bearcat I already have!

I'm going to look again to make sure I didn't miss something before going ahead with the project!

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I was prepared to pull the proverbial trigger on buying a shopkeeper model and having it converted to 22wmr.

I just ran across some information that has caused me to pause on that project.

Ballistics by the Inch (BBTI) reports actual performance of the CCI Velocitor (40 gr) 22lr, out of a Bearcat 4.2" barrel, @ 1,044 fps.

The CCI WMR (40 gr) out of a sightly longer Rough Rider 4.62" barrel, the closest comparable plartform, is reported at 1,046 fps.
    AND the Shopkeepers shorter barrel might actually translate into less velocity for the same weight bullet in WMR bullet than the Velocitor (22lr) from the 4.2" barrel Bearcat I already have!

I'm going to look again to make sure I didn't miss something before going ahead with the project!

True....but you're getting a better bullet in the .22WMR. Also, some of the personal defense loads (Gold Dot, Hornady, etc.) are made for shorter barrels and offer better velocity.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I'm thinking for use as a "woods gun", I'm going to be happy picking up 500 rds of Velocitor and sticking with what I've got. At least until I run across a shopkeeper at a price I can't refuse!

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    funny, i went to the same site

only, i didn bother looking up the ruger bearcat vs heritage roughrider (cause those are two different manufacturers)

i just checked out their 3” bbl data
    40grn velocitor 1026fps cci 40grn magnum 1160fps

their 4” bbl data
    40grn velocitor 1120fps cci 40grn magnum 1353fps

and 5” bbl data
    40grn velocitor 1172fps cci 40grn magnum 1474fps

lastly 6” bbl data
    40grn velocitor 1193fps cci 40grn magnum 1575fps

if you’re going with a shopkeeper (shorter bbl) the 140fps difference might not be worth the trouble. but, out of a single six (or standard bearcat) 230- 375 fps increases are more substantial (especially with 40grn bulet weights).

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The BBTI data is skewed unless you look at their "real world" performance.

The "inch" data is in a test barrel and locked breech (no cylinder gap, etc). You lose velocity in real world applications (in most cases).

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    If I wanted to carry a weapon that size (RR) I would carry one of my Single Six Convertibles. The barkeep doesn't even have a front sight, and in that shoty barrel I'm sure the only real difference in the performance of 22 lr and WMR either be the size of the fireball and the ringing in your ears after you pull the trigger.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    A bartender in the 1880s wouldn't have a 22

I was referring to the concept of a 1" barrel weapon (full-size revolver) sans front sight - no good for any distance farther than the other side of the bar.

And the .22BB (rimfire) was introduced several decades earlier, and the rimfire .22 long was introduced in 1871.

So, I'm quite sure bartenders, gamblers, working girls, and others had weapons like the little Remington derringer in 22 rimfire in the 1880's.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I was referring to the concept of a 1" barrel weapon (full-size revolver) sans front sight - no good for any distance farther than the other side of the bar.

And the .22BB (rimfire) was introduced several decades earlier, and the rimfire .22 long was introduced in 1871.

So, I'm quite sure bartenders, gamblers, working girls, and others had weapons like the little Remington derringer in 22 rimfire in the 1880's.
    good points. I stand corrected.

PS- Feel free to print this out and I'll even sign it nest time I see you. Times that I am wrong, let alone me admitting it, are so rare that it will be worth some money when I am dead,

Top Bottom