Texas SOT

Update - Advice/Opinions on converting a Ruger Bearcat to 22 WMR, please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've got a couple of OM Bearcats with the aluminum frames, so I know they are not candidates for the project.

I'm committed to purchasing a new model bearcat, preferably one of the shopkeeper models, and having it converted to 22 magnum.

I carry a Bearcat often and find it the perfect field gun. It would be "perfecter" in .22WMR.

I am familiar with Ruger briefly offering the Bearcat in 22 WMR, the recall and the supposed reason of the "timing" issue which led to the recall.

If NAA revolvers can handle 22 wmr, there's no reason a Bearcat will not. I have even heard that some are converting the Bearcats to 327 Magnum (5 Rd cylinders).

I think a Bearcat in 22WMR would be the perfect field gun.

I'm listening...

Who performs this conversion?

What should I expect to pay?

Concerns? Pitfalls?
    DK Firearms

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A while back I owned one of the recently manufactured Shopkeeper versions of the Bearcat.
    The chambers were very tight. The cylinder didn’t have much room for larger diameter chambers. I don’t know if there would be enough room to jam all that in there.
    What about using a standard sized Single-Six and cutting it down and bobbing the grip?

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The Single Six doesn't ride underneath my belly as comfortably as the Bearcat.

I found an 'original" for sale for $1,800, with both cylinders, box, etc. I was hoping to be spend significantly less for a stainless, shopkeeper version - including the conversion. I'm fine with it being a dedicated 22 WMR only.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Is the Bearcat cylinder too short for .22Mag? I thought it had enough length, but it needed to be reamed out to the proper diameter.
    The Old Models were too short and had aluminum frames. Enter the Super Bearcat (all steel) in the 70's. That's when Ruger offered the convertible model, and then recalled them due to a timing issue with people "fanning" them and causing them to fire out of time.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Can a single six cylinder be fitted to a shopkeeper frame?
    No. It’s larger. Will not fit in the bearcat frame.

Somewhere I read about some specialty gunsmith doing the conversions. I think it was over on one of the Ruger owners forums.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    There is enough length and I think the cylinders are thick enough between chambers just looking at it....but I'm no gunsmith....

20220225_211313.jpg

20220225_211327.jpg

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I have a 4" model 651 .22 MRF that I've carried while hiking in the Hill Country. Always felt like it was enough gun (luckily)!!

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    A Shopkeeper is nothing but a New Model Bearcat with a different grip frame and a short barrel. Anything should swap between a Shopkeeper and a Bearcat. A Single Six is a larger frame and shares nothing with a Bearcat. Buy a used cylinder and rent a reamer and have at it. I know someone who did it himself. LR and WMR headspace slightly differently too. I can post pics of both of my cylinders on my Old Model Single Six if you need an example of the differences in finish/headspace.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not sure if it’s enough to matter, but .22 WMR has a .224 bore diameter Vs .22LR using .223.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom