• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    what do you use in the ultra sonic cleaner?

In mine, I usually just use water with a little Dawn dish soap as a surfactant and degreaser. It's usually not a good idea to fill an ultrasonic cleaner full of solvents; US cleaners do their job with cavitation and not so much the solvent action of whatever you put in there. For smaller parts, you can put solvents in a glass jar and then put that in the water - works the same and the solvents are contained. I don't clean everything in there; usually just the polymer frame, then clean the barrel with whatever potion I have handy. I flush out the water with Gun Scrubber and then CLP. There's something oddly satifsfying when you turn on the cleaner and see this brown cloud of crud coming out of the parts.

rjc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Austin
    Not single, and the Glocks all go in the dish washer from time to time...even her's lol. Brake clean will cause some types of plastics to go brittle after a time, carb cleaner as well. Really hot water & soap has never let me down. The only time I really use any sort of spray solvent is if its some sort of location crisis cleaning.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    The only plastic gun I own is a Walther P22...I only clean the plastic with a mild solution of dish detergent and hot water...However, I do use brake cleaner occasionally on the metal parts in it and all of my all-metal guns when they are really dirty and or I am out of break free, but only with a complete disassemble and cleaning of all the parts. I put a thin film of Rem Oil with Teflon on the internal parts and lube the slides and frame rails with dry-moly spray, then wipe the firearm down with an oiled cloth before putting them up. I usually clean the barrels with a Bore Snake followed by soaking/scrubbing with Hoppes (FMJ or plated) or Shooter's Choice (lead) with a nylon bore brush and a brass brush if there is a lot of build-up, then patch clean and lube with Hoppes gun oil.

Some of my firearms are over 40 years old and I have never had any problems cleaning with brake cleaner.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I've been using MPro-7 for about a year now, and it's good stuff. I still have some Hoppes #9 around, but don't use it much. I also clean my guns regularly enough that I don't need heavy duty stuff to clean them.

I use car parts cleaners for car parts. I use gun cleaners for guns.

Top Bottom