• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I love aerosol brake cleaner on tactical my guns. I scrub the barrel down with hoppes #9 and when its all scrubbed I blast the ever living shit out of the whole gun with brake cleaner scrubbing a bit with a toothbrush. Then I oil with the same Mobil 1 I put in my truck.

It is $2 a can at walmart and I can usually use one can on 2 or 3 guns and I really use a ton of it. I buy it by the 6 pack.
    Guns International

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I will remember that, but it works fine on my ar and glocks.

I dont really want a gun that wont hold up to this cleaning method.

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    I shoot in CMSA with a pair of Ruger Vaqueros. The easiest way to clean the blackpowder residue is to remve the grips and run the guns through the dishwasher.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    In the Marine Corps for inspections we broke down our M-16A2's and used very hot water to flush the carbon out. Carbon doesn't like water, and the temp was so hot and the desert so dry that the water evaporated before any chance of rust happening.

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    I use Mobil 1 full synthetic on the moving parts in my guns. I've noticed smoother, easier cycling since switching. And the guns seem to function better in negative temperatures. Supposedly most gun oils tend to "gum up" in really cold temperatures and I have noticed this with CLP when the temps were lower than 20F. YMMV

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I use a little break cleaner down the barrel after soaking (pistol barrels) in Hoppes for a while. I usually run a brush through a few times to get the big crud out, then soak for 30 minutes to over night, then brush a bit more, and blast out with break cleaner. Of course then followed by some clp or oil and a dry patch.

I do not use it on the frame or action parts, exception might be a completely disassembled (detail stripped) pistol.

I suggest if you do use a lot of break cleaner, get the non chlorinated version. It is less harmful to plastic and such, although I still keep it off of those parts.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I shoot in CMSA with a pair of Ruger Vaqueros. The easiest way to clean the blackpowder residue is to remve the grips and run the guns through the dishwasher.

I don't think that's very wise, all of those deposits can accumulate in the dishwasher, and you'll be ingesting the lead.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Break cleaner is a little too harsh in my opinion. I did use carb cleaner once to clean a gun, tho. When I got my PSL, it was packed full of grease. I hosed it out really well with carb cleaner. Then after the carb cleaner I repeated the process with CLP. Made a huge frick'n mess, but the gun was nice and clean. Even though it's not as potent as brake cleaner, you still have to be careful with the carb cleaner. You don't want it on any painted surfaces.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Maybe it's because I just go to the range, the old rifles were given to me clean and my AR is brand new; but none of my stuff is dirty enough to require that type of treatment. Brake cleaner is pretty strong stuff. I'd be concerned about it getting on anything but metal and even some metals probably won't apperciate it.

Why not use something like simple green? Or use CLP, wipe off and then lube up with whatever you like. I use fat rendered from innocent puppies. Works great and their bitter tortured souls improve my accuracy.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I like ultrasonic cleaners. Drop the parts in, start the timer and walk away.

Your screwing up cleaning that plastic gun with Brake Cleaner.
    Brake Cleaner will dry the plastic out and make it brittle.
    You dont want ant kind of solvent getting on plastic.

It won't damage all plastic.

Why not use something like simple green? Or use CLP, wipe off and then lube up with whatever you like. I use fat rendered from innocent puppies. Works great and their bitter tortured souls improve my accuracy.

Don't use Simple Green on aluminum. It's corrosive.

Top Bottom