• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Are night sights safe for ultrasonic cleaning or any other precautions of what not to do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    The markings will get eaten off which can affect warranty status, but that's about it, and that's depending on solution you use of course. I wouldn't use a corrosive based one and IIRC Trijicon even advises cautious use of solvents on their night sights. I was very disappointed with Trijicon night sights and have since switch to Mepro and haven't had any issues, again other than markings coming off.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    The gun parts cleaning solution that Hornady offers is pretty good, yet seems to be gentle. My old boss tried making a home made solution that wound up doing more damage than good, so I just stick with the Hornady stuff. Out of the big jug, you only need a capful or two per cleaning, so it lasts a while. We use ours primarily for carberateurs, so its very important that the machine and solution work just right.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks for the info, Jeremy. I'd ordered a jug of the Hornady solution along with the cleaner. I'm perfectly good with starting out "gentle." Lol

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Something like that. LOL

But seriously, since I'm an ultrasonic cleaning newb, I just want to make sure I don't damage any of my firearms.

Me too. The last time I used mine it took the bluing off of the part. Back to the old style cleaning... Let Aaron do it...lol

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Make sure not to use the brass cleaning solution - that will strip coatings off metal and discolor plastic.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Me too. The last time I used mine it took the bluing off of the part. Back to the old style cleaning... Let Aaron do it...lol

i seem to recall that you had that blued part sitting in a wire basket, with metal-to-metal contact? Or no?

Let Aaron do it? hahahaha

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    i seem to recall that you had that blued part sitting in a wire basket, with metal-to-metal contact? Or no?

Let Aaron do it? hahahaha

No it has a plastic basket but it has been sitting in the box for so long I will have to check. I was really surprised that Ruger fixed it. Talking about great CS.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    So the question is, is it safe to put high-polished blued parts in a plastic basket in an ultrasonic cleaner, or do you risk ruining the blued finish?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Curious too. Is that just with certain solvents or the gun not fully disassembled?

I just use hot soapy water in my sonic cleaner. It works ok and I haven't had any issues with plastic.

My basket is plastic.

It'll jack up clear plastics. Say a clear lense cover. Eye glasses are also a no no. I destroyed a pair once. It'll make a ripple effect on the surfaces.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    So the question is, is it safe to put high-polished blued parts in a plastic basket in an ultrasonic cleaner, or do you risk ruining the blued finish?

My short answer (as I posted earlier) is yes. It probably depends on the cleaning solution, but I ain't doin it again.

On another front, I did an un-official test. I was down to the last bit of my Lyman brass cleaner concentrate, and I got a container of Lemishine. I took 50 misc. 9mm cases, sized & de-primed them and put them in a 20:1 concentration of the Lyman. Ran them for 240 seconds, let them sit for 10 minutes, then ran them 300 seconds.

Then I did the same thing to another 50 cases with tap water, two tablespoons of Lemishine and a couple of squirts of Dawn.

I couldn't tell spit worth of difference between them. $21 32 oz jug of Lyman vs. $3 of Lemishine. I think I'll go with the latter.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    My short answer (as I posted earlier) is yes. It probably depends on the cleaning solution, but I ain't doin it again.

Sorry, but I'm confused...yes, it is safe, or yes it will ruin the finish?

This is what you posted earlier...

Me too - but there are different varieties of it. Don't use the brass cleaning concentrate while cleaning gun parts - it will remove the bluing.

...but I said I'll be using parts cleaner, not brass cleaner. So let me ask again a bit differently...is it safe to clean blued gun parts as long as I'm using the plastic basket and cleaners designed specifically for those types of parts?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Sorry - I wasn't trying to be intentionally obtuse. I have never used any parts cleaner, so I honestly don't know.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    The gun parts cleaning solution that Hornady offers is pretty good, yet seems to be gentle. My old boss tried making a home made solution that wound up doing more damage than good, so I just stick with the Hornady stuff. Out of the big jug, you only need a capful or two per cleaning, so it lasts a while. We use ours primarily for carberateurs, so its very important that the machine and solution work just right.

Would you recommend me buying and reusing the hornady solution?

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Pete,

I do not know about the cleaner you are using but from experience that when I used vinegar and plastic basket it did remove bluing.

Top Bottom