• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Toyota Corolla only weighs about 500 lbs more than a Ramber American and the Corola is actually a larger car.

For a smaller car, the chevy spark is 2269, but it is a roller skate. But the American was a pretty small car for the time also.
    Rambler was 178" and my old Mazda 3 hatch was 175.6" though it weighed at 2,869 lbs.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Toyota Corolla only weighs about 500 lbs more than a Ramber American and the Corola is actually a larger car.

For a smaller car, the chevy spark is 2269, but it is a roller skate. But the American was a pretty small car for the time also.

So none then?

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    So none then?
    I guess if you are looking for exact matches, then no, none,
    The more apporopriate comparison would probalby be HP to weight ratios anyway.

My original comments were more about the emissions control that are deceptive in thier effectiveness, and the weight of 60 year old Rambler has little to no relevance in that subject.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Having spent a majority of my life in the industry, I can say that you would be amazed at all of the loopholes.
    The EPA is more about money, than the environment.. Are you surprised? I didn't think so.
    I think if they were serious about emissions then the whole wheelbase loophole or whatever calculation is used to incentivize 4 door half ton trucks instead of smaller mini trucks would be out the window. Chicken tax too.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    IMO the profitability gap between say an F-150 and a Maverick probably has more to do with the magic they must perform in order to make the smaller truck meet the same regs as a passenger car they are classified under (per EPA). A larger NA 4 cyl like a 2.5l NA or a small NA V6 either one with VVT like Toyota has had for years (Honda equivalent Vtech) and they would get min mid -20 mpg or maybe even approach 30mpg

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    More info please

Toyota is recalling approximately 102,000 vehicles for potential engine failure. The old v-8 was reliable for many years. The question is: does the slightly better fuel efficiency of the turbo v-6 outweigh the shorter vehicle lifespan, environmentally speaking.

Unlike its first and second-gen forebearers, the 2024 Toyota Tundra is sold with no V8 engine option. Under the hood of every Toyota Tundra is a V35A-FTS V6 engine with 3.4 liters of displacement and forced induction

Read More: https://www.slashgear.com/1573042/about-2024-toyota-tundra-twin-turbo-v6-engine/

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    This is why everyone puts an LS in everything. It's a mechanically simple, proven, efficient, light weight, reliable platform. The outgoing Toyota V8 was likewise a solid motor that will run great for a very long time.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015

Toyota is recalling approximately 102,000 vehicles for potential engine failure. The old v-8 was reliable for many years. The question is: does the slightly better fuel efficiency of the turbo v-6 outweigh the shorter vehicle lifespan, environmentally speaking.

Unlike its first and second-gen forebearers, the 2024 Toyota Tundra is sold with no V8 engine option. Under the hood of every Toyota Tundra is a V35A-FTS V6 engine with 3.4 liters of displacement and forced induction

Read More: https://www.slashgear.com/1573042/about-2024-toyota-tundra-twin-turbo-v6-engine/
    My wife drives a Tundra with the turbocharged V6. It's long term reliability is not an issue to me because I told her when she got it that I do no care how much she likes it. It is getting dumped before warranty goes out. All the rediuculous electrons crap in that truck worry me more than anything in the powertrain.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My wife drives a Tundra with the turbocharged V6. It's long term reliability is not an issue to me because I told her when she got it that I do no care how much she likes it. It is getting dumped before warranty goes out. All the rediuculous electrons crap in that truck worry me more than anything in the powertrain.

So, in order to reduce the amount of "electrons crap", does that mean you'll replace it with a much older vehicle?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Within a day or 2 of announcing this recall , Toyota also announced they are hiring 350 new employees at their Alabama engine plant.
    So you will get a new replacement engine built buy a new hire.
    Someone speculated this could cost Toyota billions to fix when you account for paying each dealership for the labor and other expenses.

Someone done messed up bad.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Within a day or 2 of announcing this recall , Toyota also announced they are hiring 350 new employees at their Alabama engine plant.
    So you will get a new replacement engine built buy a new hire.
    Someone speculated this could cost Toyota billions to fix when you account for paying each dealership for the labor and other expenses.

Someone done messed up bad.
    It happens more often than you realize in the automotive industry.
    One piece of improperly calibrated equipment, or a typo in the training material of an assembly line worker, or other times, a poorly designed component or part and then this is what happens.
    Most times it is caught and corrected before it gets out of hand, but sometimes it does not.

Potential failures are calculated into the cost of manufacturing, but an across the board problem is harder to comensate fore.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I had a customer the other day who wanted work done on his Toyota sienna. He was a programmer at GM. He said every time they update production equipment programming they have to recheck qc on everything. He mentioned the Japanese QC is much higher. Also said the major US manufacturers all went big on EVs then scaled back like crazy. They realized the production costs of batteries and saw their shortcomings in the real world. The charging network isn't there and profitability isn't either.

He said everyone is retooling to hybrids as they saw 100% increase in that market segment last year. As someone who has been working on cars for over 25 years I can tell you they all have their issues. Nissan CVTs are garbage, Subaru and Toyota chassis aren't built like they used to be and everyone has put a computer into systems that never needed them. I still give a nod to Honda as having some of the best made vehicles out there by a large margin.

My 2022 Maverick hybrid has already had 5 or more recalls and several of them say Ford engineers are working on a solution. Those goons think everything can be fixed with software updates which undoubtedly change the parameters for faults rather than fix them. I do like older generation Tundras but they have some of the lowest passenger crash test ratings of any modern vehicle as well as poor gas mileage. Drivers probably ok in an head on collision but your passenger is toast.

No doubt all this nonsense is a big part of why I'm busy as hell. Universal customer sentiment is fix rather than replace. I don't disagree with them.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    There's a lot of benefit to running features through 'computers'. Not only for the usability but safety and durability as well. An example, Kia/Hyundai have recalled a shit ton of vehicles because their seat motors will catch on fire if the button sticks. I don't know how Kias are engineered, but ostensibly it is 'simple' - battery, fuse, button, motor. The motor never exceeds the fuse rating, whether it is moving or not so no protection there. You can't see or feel the motors buried under the seat, so you don't know if something is wrong. Over time the motor either fails or in a few cases has apparently started the car on fire. Not ideal.

But if you drive the motors through a software controlled module with current monitoring, you can not only use a simple timeout (motor should never be active for more than n seconds to move the seat between limits), but you can also use current monitoring to know exactly when the seat stops moving, and in each case shut off power. Motors last longer, module can tell you if something seems wrong (e.g. motor never runs more than n seconds in either direction before stopping, seat may be jammed), and all kinds of other things. I would argue that if you're going to have something beyond a manual seat track, running the motors through a controller just makes good sense.

That logic is applied all over the place in modern cars. Does it make them more complex? Sure. Does it make them better? If applied sensibly, also sure. If German, all bets are off. If British, it won't work in the first place. If Italian, they'll only get it if the Germans donate it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    There's a lot of benefit to running features through 'computers'. Not only for the usability but safety and durability as well. An example, Kia/Hyundai have recalled a shit ton of vehicles because their seat motors will catch on fire if the button sticks. I don't know how Kias are engineered, but ostensibly it is 'simple' - battery, fuse, button, motor. The motor never exceeds the fuse rating, whether it is moving or not so no protection there. You can't see or feel the motors buried under the seat, so you don't know if something is wrong. Over time the motor either fails or in a few cases has apparently started the car on fire. Not ideal.

But if you drive the motors through a software controlled module with current monitoring, you can not only use a simple timeout (motor should never be active for more than n seconds to move the seat between limits), but you can also use current monitoring to know exactly when the seat stops moving, and in each case shut off power. Motors last longer, module can tell you if something seems wrong (e.g. motor never runs more than n seconds in either direction before stopping, seat may be jammed), and all kinds of other things. I would argue that if you're going to have something beyond a manual seat track, running the motors through a controller just makes good sense.

That logic is applied all over the place in modern cars. Does it make them more complex? Sure. Does it make them better? If applied sensibly, also sure. If German, all bets are off. If British, it won't work in the first place. If Italian, they'll only get it if the Germans donate it.
    Sure as heck makes repairs more expensive if the computer goes out.

But overall, I probably spend less on repairs than in the old days. Certainly much fewer repairs. But having to take more of them to the shop (as opposed to doing the repairs myself) means when it does go in the cost is painful.

Top Bottom