• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok so here's a few pics of the walnut powder in the case and next one is what it looked like after I scraped most of it out the powder weighed .4gr
    9d42bd407886ce446dafb858be4d82e9.jpg
    01bc43c148a2bdce71a03e15966801b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a lot of powder. Are you using any brass polish or anything? Dry media shouldn't do that. I have had dust stick like that but never that much, not dry anyways.
    Lynx Defense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looks like there is a lot of Flitz in the media, or the brass is wet. The powder wouldn't do that if it were dry.

Is your tumbler stored in a dry place? Is the media completely dry?

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Yep everything stays in the office the media stays in a sealed 5gal bucket. Just run dry media no additives maybe just oil from lubed cases?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yep everything stays in the office the media stays in a sealed 5gal bucket. Just run dry media no additives maybe just oil from lubed cases?

I run my lubed cases through my tumbler also and haven't had that problem at all. I keep my tumbler pretty full too though.

If it is full and dry then I got nothing. I don't know what could be causing that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

You are using way to much oil to lube your cases. Being pistol brass, they shouldn't need any lube at all.

Deprime some cases with no lube and see how it goes. I bet it fixes the issue.

That's assuming you are getting lube on the inside of your cases.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You are using way to much oil to lube your cases. Being pistol brass, they shouldn't need any lube at all.

Deprime some cases with no lube and see how it goes. I bet it fixes the issue.

That's assuming you are getting lube on the inside of your cases.
    That is true. Carbide handgun dies need no lube. That being said I will give a whole bucket a little shot, but not much.

Also, how long do you run them? Most of the time I let my tumbler run overnight. This gives it more time to polish without chemicals.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Are you using one shot or oil Dawico?
    Technically at this point I am using Dillon case lube spray because I have it, but I have used One Shot, RCBS lube for their pad set, other pad type lubes, and even motor oil for reloading .50 BMGs. The Dillon and One Shot are by far the lightest, but I haven't had any of them clump up media.

I will get Hornady One Shot when I need to buy again. If that doesn't work well for the .338 cases I still have some RCBS lube and the pad though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was only asking because the one shot dries and shouldn't cause any issues. Haven't used the others except the RCBS pad a while back which worked ok, but I like one shot well enough.

Agree on the motor oil for BMG. Best advice I ever got from you.

Back on topic: if you using an oil based lube that doesn't dry and it is leaving a film inside the case I can see that causing the issue. Best test would be to not lube a batch of cases before tumbling. Really no necessary for most handgun cases anyways.

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    I don't lube the pistol stuff just the rifle useing that Dillion spray they run overnight til I get home the next evening then ill knock the loose out. If it's a post sizing tumble either over night or while I'm at work this stuff is 2-3k rounds and 8 months old to

Top Bottom