• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    So I've been useing walnut #5 in my tumbler for a while and I'm noticing that when I run it its filling the primer pockets and leaving a lot of powder inside the case. Do I need to change my media out or just start brushing the inside of the case when I clean the primer pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I run corn cob and always have, so I can't speak to any issues specific to walnut.

That said, I always deprime after cleaning to avoid media in the primer pockets. If a piece were small enough to stick in the flash hole it gets punched out when depriming.

Not sure what you mean by powder left in the case, never had that issue with corn cob except ones when I got to much Flitz in the mix and had to wipe the powdery coating off the cases. Does the powder not dump out?

Lots of people are going to ultra sonic for cleaning after depriming to avoid media issues.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I run pecan media. When I get too much powder, I dump out the media and start with fresh.
    I've been thinking about the corn cob, but I've never used any additives.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't anymore. I used to care if the brass was shiny. I'm over it now.

Edit: I have been know to scrap some white rouge in to the mix from time to time if I'm cleaning some real nasty brass.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    That reminds me. I forgot to unplug mine last night.
    Should be clean by now. Oops!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Also, I've been cheap enough to clean my media.

5 gallon bucket with warm water, some dish soap, laundry detergent, and old/dusty media.

Slosh around for about 5 minutes, drain water and refill with fresh. Repeat a few times until the soap is gone.

Strain over window screen to remove most of the moisture, then on a cookie sheet and in the oven at 300* to dry.

Afterwords I decided I would just buy new media from now on :roflsmile:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Walnut is dusty and always will be. I tried some and dumped it.

Corn cob only now.

I tear up paper towels or used dryer sheets to keep it clean. Just drop them in and let them run with the brass. They hold the dirt and crud for easy disposal.

I don't put many chemicals in either. It seems letting it run for 24 hours does the trick.

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    With the rifle stuff I'll run it for about 8 hours then sift the brass lube and size and throw em back in for a overnighter I think the oil from the line is making the walnut powder stick to the inside of the case. I'll try cleaning the media just cause I'm cheap but next time I hit the loading shop I'll get some corn media

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I use stainless steel media in a Thumblers tumbler. 5 pounds media, 5 pounds brass, no water, no polish, no nothing. Let it run for 90 minutes and then separate it. Two hours if it is filthy. Rinse and dry the media about once a year. Clean and shiny, inside and out.

that is not how the instructions say to do it, but my experiments allowed me to make the call to do it my way. Less mess, faster, more brass at a time. I use a container to measure the brass that is going into the tumbler. I drew a line for 9, .40, and .45
    fill to that line and dump.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    With the rifle stuff I'll run it for about 8 hours then sift the brass lube and size and throw em back in for a overnighter I think the oil from the line is making the walnut powder stick to the inside of the case. I'll try cleaning the media just cause I'm cheap but next time I hit the loading shop I'll get some corn media

I do the same thing. Works well with corn cob media.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I use corn cob and a 1/2 cup of rice.. no kidding. The rice is good for cleaning and holds up to anything and won't make powder.

I also use either Dillon polish or something like the Flitzh polish, just a couple of capfuls per batch. Make sure and let the polish mix with the media for 5 minutes before dumping in the brass or you may end up with clumps

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I use a large vibrating tumbler with Lyman treated corn cob. Very few cases get cob stuck in them and they come out very clean and bright. I alos use a couple used drier sheets to grab the dust and goo.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    A Bounce dryer sheet helps control some of the dust.... But like others say, I load dusty brass, too.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm saving dryer sheets. Used or new?
    I figure the used will grab dust pretty well.

Top Bottom