• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I get pulled over sporadically but rarely get tickets.

Carrying seems to be a non-issue.
    “I’ve got an LTC and I’m carrying” is what I can recall saying.

I roll my widows down and pull over to a safe place, not on the shoulder if I can help it. Hands on wheel and visible.

Be brief.
    Be respectful.
    Be on your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hurley's Gold

cwo4uscgret

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    near the Alamo
    I’m a retired Federal LEO and I always carry. As others have suggested what I do is engine off, window down, hands on steering wheel, if night time then dome light on. As the Officer gets close enough it’s “Good morning, or afternoon or evening. Usually they ask for license, etc but I say yes sir/ma’am and tell them I am a retired LEO and I have a gun either in a shoulder holster or on my hip; then ask them what do you want me to do? Usually they ask to see my retired ID then I get a short lecture on the speed limit. Yes sir.

During the entire stop I am polite and respectful. I wait for the Officer to tell me what to do. So, in my 50+ years of driving the only ticket I got is because I failed the “attitude test”. An Ohio Highway Patrol Sargent said to me: “ why don’t you come to my car and I’ll explain why I pulled you over.” I said I think I know why you pulled me over.” He was not amused; that was a $40 ticket.

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    I get pulled over sporadically but rarely get tickets.

Carrying seems to be a non-issue.
    “I’ve got an LTC and I’m carrying” is what I can recall saying.

I roll my widows down and pull over to a safe place, not on the shoulder if I can help it. Hands on wheel and visible.

Be brief.
    Be respectful.
    Be on your way

^^^^THIS^^^^

Plus I have a Blue line flag sticker on my left rear window.

Be on their side, do nothing rash and move on

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    whenever I get stopped by the policia I just hand them my LTC Card and they usually don't bat an eye, but I still wouldn't trust some dickhead 5-0 to go on a power trip because y'know how cops can be.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    whenever I get stopped by the policia I just hand them my LTC Card and they usually don't bat an eye, but I still wouldn't trust some dickhead 5-0 to go on a power trip because y'know how cops can be.
    If you changed "cops" to your choice of a socially unacceptable people group slur it might illustrate how prejudiced and idiotic your statement is...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Some people will always be rude when talking about LEOs. I've been the recipient of that sort of unwarranted rancor and I'll suggest this forum do what I used to do - Ignore it. Please make life easier for your mods and just ignore it.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    If you changed "cops" to your choice of a socially unacceptable people group slur it might illustrate how prejudiced and idiotic your statement is...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    I don't deny I'm prejudiced against the police, but your sentence is just a blatant false equivalency.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don't deny I'm prejudiced against the police, but your sentence is just a blatant false equivalency.
    Instead of going on nonsensical rants about all cops being bad, why not for the benefit of the other members explain your prejudice towards LE officers?

Lets see if your reasons for the hate towards them is justified or irrational.

Personally, I can dislike one person specifically without hating an entire group because of the behavior or actions of one person.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't think hate toward an entire group can ever be rational but it can be understandable.

When my mother was 16, she was arrested for kidnapping her cousin. She was arrested, booked, and held in jail until she could appear before a judge. The charge was entirely bogus and the judge ordered her immediate release.

Now, my mom was a very beautiful woman. She was a beautiful teenager. As a part of the booking, a matron (as they were called in those days) in the jail was called to search her. The experience had already been very, very bad; several male police officers had made all sorts of threatening sexual comments towards her and acted like calling a matron to assist in her booking was a big favor.

The matron had her strip nude and did an extensive and invasive cavity search.

The entire process was carefully observed by the male police officers referenced above.

It was nothing less than a gang rape by proxy.

For the rest of her days, my mom wasn't prejudiced towards cops. She was, however, so afraid of police officers that she became nearly catatonic during traffic stops or any interaction with the police. She'd get through it but afterwards she'd be non-functional for an extended period. Sometimes she cried uncontrollably; other times she just sat and stared straight ahead. For a day, or two, or three.

Prejudice can be a mistaken characterization of fear. Fear can be understood and is sometimes justified.

One of the reasons I cut A1Oni a break on some of his objectionable comments is that I don't know his history or how he got his attitudes. I'm open to the notion that he may be justified.

I sincerely hope he gives a detailed response to your post.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I don't think hate toward an entire group can ever be rational but it can be understandable.

When my mother was 16, she was arrested for kidnapping her cousin. She was arrested, booked, and held in jail until she could appear before a judge. The charge was entirely bogus and the judge ordered her immediate release.

Now, my mom was a very beautiful woman. She was a beautiful teenager. As a part of the booking, a matron (as they were called in those days) in the jail was called to search her. The experience had already been very, very bad; several male police officers had made all sorts of threatening sexual comments towards her and acted like calling a matron to assist in her booking was a big favor.

The matron had her strip nude and did an extensive and invasive cavity search.

The entire process was carefully observed by the male police officers referenced above.

It was nothing less than a gang rape by proxy.

For the rest of her days, my mom wasn't prejudiced towards cops. She was, however, so afraid of police officers that she became nearly catatonic during traffic stops or any interaction with the police. She'd get through it but afterwards she'd be non-functional for an extended period. Sometimes she cried uncontrollably; other times she just sat and stared straight ahead. For a day, or two, or three.

Prejudice can be a mistaken characterization of fear. Fear can be understood and is sometimes justified.

One of the reasons I cut A1Oni a break on some of his objectionable comments is that I don't know his history or how he got his attitudes. I'm open to the notion that he may be justified.

I sincerely hope he gives a detailed response to your post.
    Wow how terrible for her and your family. Bad people can ruin your life

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Instead of going on nonsensical rants about all cops being bad, why not for the benefit of the other members explain your prejudice towards LE officers?

Personally, I can dislike one person specifically without hating an entire group because of the behavior or actions of one person.
    politics and history of police corruption not withstanding, I dont feel comfortable trusting someone who at a mere whim can infringe on my rights because as someone with autism, I react to social situations much more differently than the average joe, and some police officers will be like "x looks suspicious because they dont look me in the eye" when in reality I dont look anyone in the eye for the stated reason above, and as someone who was born in Albuquerque and had my fair share of shitty interactions with police because the cops there suck, does that mean im going to give the police a hard time if they stop me for having expired tags or going like 1 mile over the speed limit? no, but that doesnt mean I have to trust them, because just because some guy wears a badge doesnt mean they have your best interests in mind. but I know you already have your mind made up due to my opinions on police and typing this post is academic and a moot point but since benenglish seems like a good fellow I figured I would reply anyway.

in short: I just don't like or trust the police.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    politics and history of police corruption not withstanding, I dont feel comfortable trusting someone who at a mere whim can infringe on my rights because as someone with autism, I react to social situations much more differently than the average joe, and some police officers will be like "x looks suspicious because they dont look me in the eye" when in reality I dont look anyone in the eye for the stated reason above, and as someone who was born in Albuquerque and had my fair share of shitty interactions with police because the cops there suck, does that mean im going to give the police a hard time if they stop me for having expired tags or going like 1 mile over the speed limit? no, but that doesnt mean I have to trust them, because just because some guy wears a badge doesnt mean they have your best interests in mind. but I know you already have your mind made up due to my opinions on police and typing this post is academic and a moot point but since benenglish seems like a good fellow I figured I would reply anyway.

in short: I just don't like or trust the police.
    I really didn't expect you to reply. But glad you did. I will say had you made this explanation much earlier, it's possible some would not have made some assumptions of your past posts that were made, myself included. After reading, I now can somewhat understand your reasoning and thoughts and opinions. Not that I agree with them entirely, but can understand where they are coming from.

In some ways, mine are somewhat biased since several family members and friends were in LE for many years. Myself? I don't trust anyone, UNTIL they prove or disprove my ability to trust them. I also accept that the person wearing the badge is just a person, with all the baggage that comes with being human. There are good people behind the badge, and bad people behind the badge. I too have had a couple of bad encounters with some that were assholes wearing a badge. I could have gone the other way and taken the stance that all LE officers are badge wearing assholes, but didn't. Many times your posts paint with too broad a brush when commenting on LE officers, and many like myself find them insulting and chafing and finding that you are making assumptions about a profession that many of know to be quite untrue. It's alright and acceptable to make remarks about an individual officer's behavior and actions, rather that lumping them all into a group as all are complicit with that individual's behavior and actions. You assume that all are complicit in that behavior of the individual officer when I know many would not be.

You also assumed I would already have my mind made up about your post, hence this reply. First all, I trust NO ONE until that trust is earned, regardless of whether they wear a badge or not. Second, I never assume just because someone wears a badge, that they have my best interests in mind.

ETA: A LE officer can only infringe upon your rights if you allow them to. I have rights and I will assert using them, or have my lawyer assert them on my behalf. Knowing your rights is the first step in guarding and protecting your rights.

Last edited:

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Well for me it is easy as I display my badge and let them know right away there are guns in the vehicle. We had a game plan with the family when we did our trip to Ohio to attend my daughter shotgun competition. I was carrying my sidearm in a holster and had another in my fanny pack while I have two competition grade shotguns in the trunk with over 500 rounds of shotgun shells with other gear. We made sure we had a folder with all supporting documents plus not only have our credentials but other credentials from the sporting organizations such as NSCA card. We never had any issues but heard State police in TN likes to pull over Hispanic drivers travelling on I40. I only had one incident a while back and that was when I was taking my daughter to her competition at the San Antonio Rod and Gun club near Olmos Park. We were too early and the gates were not open yet as we had several hours before. Olmos PD came and flashed their high beams on us. Asked me what were doing and told him we are waiting for the gates to open. He was very jumpy at first but we ended up showing all our IDs including the NSCA cards. Apparently a karen homeowner called on us.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Well for me it is easy as I display my badge and let them know right away there are guns in the vehicle. We had a game plan with the family when we did our trip to Ohio to attend my daughter shotgun competition. I was carrying my sidearm in a holster and had another in my fanny pack while I have two competition grade shotguns in the trunk with over 500 rounds of shotgun shells with other gear. We made sure we had a folder with all supporting documents plus not only have our credentials but other credentials from the sporting organizations such as NSCA card. We never had any issues but heard State police in TN likes to pull over Hispanic drivers travelling on I40. I only had one incident a while back and that was when I was taking my daughter to her competition at the San Antonio Rod and Gun club near Olmos Park. We were too early and the gates were not open yet as we had several hours before. Olmos PD came and flashed their high beams on us. Asked me what were doing and told him we are waiting for the gates to open. He was very jumpy at first but we ended up showing all our IDs including the NSCA cards. Apparently a karen homeowner called on us.

Sucks that you had to bring “your papers”, to travel in what’s supposed to be a free country.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Sucks that you had to bring “your papers”, to travel in what’s supposed to be a free country.

I hate to say this but many of these officers like to go fishing just a little too much. I have all my phones with Youtube live capability ready to record and broadcast. From what I have seen with other people driving through locations like TN many of them like to use pretextual stops and then start asking questions not related to the stop. The two main things they are looking for is drugs and money. These officers use discrepancies as a means of securing probable cause. This is why myself and family develop plans and documents if I happen to come across these type of fishing expeditions. We have nothing to hide but at the same time we do not like to be harassed.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    A thread about bad experience with LEO and gun carry thread should be created. This would make an interesting topic. I am not advocating or demonizing LEO traffic officers but want to read and encourage others to tell their good or bad stops and critique what would be better way to handle the situation. I already told my stop.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I really didn't expect you to reply. But glad you did. I will say had you made this explanation much earlier, it's possible some would not have made some assumptions of your past posts that were made, myself included. After reading, I now can somewhat understand your reasoning and thoughts and opinions. Not that I agree with them entirely, but can understand where they are coming from.

In some ways, mine are somewhat biased since several family members and friends were in LE for many years. Myself? I don't trust anyone, UNTIL they prove or disprove my ability to trust them. I also accept that the person wearing the badge is just a person, with all the baggage that comes with being human. There are good people behind the badge, and bad people behind the badge. I too have had a couple of bad encounters with some that were assholes wearing a badge. I could have gone the other way and taken the stance that all LE officers are badge wearing assholes, but didn't. Many times your posts paint with too broad a brush when commenting on LE officers, and many like myself find them insulting and chafing and finding that you are making assumptions about a profession that many of know to be quite untrue. It's alright and acceptable to make remarks about an individual officer's behavior and actions, rather that lumping them all into a group as all are complicit with that individual's behavior and actions. You assume that all are complicit in that behavior of the individual officer when I know many would not be.

You also assumed I would already have my mind made up about your post, hence this reply. First all, I trust NO ONE until that trust is earned, regardless of whether they wear a badge or not. Second, I never assume just because someone wears a badge, that they have my best interests in mind.

ETA: A LE officer can only infringe upon your rights if you allow them to. I have rights and I will assert using them, or have my lawyer assert them on my behalf. Knowing your rights is the first step in guarding and protecting your rights.
    we dont nessicairly have to agree on everything but as long as you understand a little bit on where im coming from thats all that really matters, I know I can be a bit brash and generalizing when speaking about police but the wonderful thing about the internet is we can state our opinions and debate all the nuances and other things until the sun burns out but in my opinion its good to put your opinions or observations on a subject out there to start some discussion on things, even if it is a "hot topic" so to speak.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I hate to say this but many of these officers like to go fishing just a little too much. I have all my phones with Youtube live capability ready to record and broadcast. From what I have seen with other people driving through locations like TN many of them like to use pretextual stops and then start asking questions not related to the stop. The two main things they are looking for is drugs and money. These officers use discrepancies as a means of securing probable cause. This is why myself and family develop plans and documents if I happen to come across these type of fishing expeditions. We have nothing to hide but at the same time we do not like to be harassed.
    Yep they confiscate your cash and claim it is drug money.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Easy solution.

You can comply with everything needed for a complete traffic stop and not say a word if you have your drivers license and proof of financial responsibility.

It's pretty hard for an officer to go on a fishing expedition when you're not bumping your gums and giving officers PC for a search.

STFU, but still be polite and act like you have some sense and you have a 99.9% chance of the stop going okay. That 90k you just won at the casino and stored in the spare tire will likely not get seized by following this advice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom