• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Take my babymax for example. At max load I can still get 24 plus mpg’s. Max payload I can still get 27 plus. Road trips with a few hundred lbs in the bed, 33 mpg at the pump. That’s with older injectors and big tires.

If I needed to tow more I’d look at a dodge 5.9 and ok so I’m going to go slow...I can live with that.
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I can see a use for electric trucks in a towing capacity for some uses, like as yard trucks at a distribution center, short hauls locally, and local delivery vehicles, because they would have constant access to charging stations. But I just don't see them being viable for over the road trucking applications because of their limited range and abilities.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I can see a use for electric trucks in a towing capacity for some uses, like as yard trucks at a distribution center, short hauls locally, and local delivery vehicles, because they would have constant access to charging stations. But I just don't see them being viable for over the road trucking applications because of their limited range and abilities.

100%

One thing that a heavy truck has:
    The carrying capacity to carry a shitload of batteries.

When we replace the heavy diesel drivetrain - massive engine, transmission, fuel tanks and whatnot. - with batteries and wheel motors, it frees up carrying capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Even diesel powered trucks can struggle going uphill depending upon the grade.

Batteries are the limiting factor IMO. How many times can an electric truck pull a load uphill before it needs to be recharged? A diesel powered truck can do it repeatedly, all day long as long as the fuel tanks have fuel.

I think a diesel/hybrid would make more sense, just like a diesel locomotive. Much more fuel efficient with the amount of diesel fuel consumed, but not limited in range of batteries.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Even diesel powered trucks can struggle going uphill depending upon the grade.

Batteries are the limiting factor IMO. How many times can an electric truck pull a load uphill before it needs to be recharged? A diesel powered truck can do it repeatedly, all day long as long as the fuel tanks have fuel.

I think a diesel/hybrid would make more sense, just like a diesel locomotive. Much more fuel efficient with the amount of diesel fuel consumed, but not limited in range of batteries.

Actually, every time we convert forms of energy, there’s loss.

So it’s more efficient to burn diesel to directly propel the vehicle, versus burning diesel to produce electricity to propel the vehicle.

When we think of locomotives, the biggest benefit is getting the load moving. An electric motor can get to work from zero rpm…there’s no clutch or torque converter that’s gonna bridge the gap between a spinning engine and wheels that need to get turning.

That’s a huge reason why diesel replaced steam even though steam locomotives were faster on the top-end. Plus the whole burning coal thing LOL

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    So I'm just asking how many batteries does it take to run a 80.k load from let's just say from Brownsville to LA in 36 hrs keeping the refrigerator trailer running truck cool,warm,
    Doing your 10 break where there is no charging station in bfe Arkansas.
    And make your delivery time.

Better question how do you get sand to.the oilfields from Conroe to corpus then when you get to the well and have to stage for 24 plus hrs.
    And using your microwave TV and other accessories?
    Asking for a friend

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So I'm just asking how many batteries does it take to run a 80.k load from let's just say from Brownsville to LA in 36 hrs keeping the refrigerator trailer running truck cool,warm,
    Doing your 10 break where there is no charging station in bfe Arkansas.
    And make your delivery time.

Better question how do you get sand to.the oilfields from Conroe to corpus then when you get to the well and have to stage for 24 plus hrs.
    And using your microwave TV and other accessories?
    Asking for a friend

Tesla’s research says >75% of trucks haul 300 miles or less per day.
    So that’s the market they’re gonna target.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

They already have a contingency plan for the longer hauls. They're lining the top of the trailers with solar panels. It should help mitigate SOME of the energy loss.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Even so, that’s still a lot of power needed. Not just motive power, but charging power. If power generation isn’t expanding at the rate needed for future state base and peak demands, this is all a pipe dream. That’s not even going into the precious metals supply for the batteries. Good thing we’ve got all those supplies and demands align.

Like I said, window lickers - the whole damn lot of them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My opinion on all of this: If there is a market for it, great. If not, it will fail and things will move on.

The problem is when the government subsidizes failure. But subsidies exist on both sides so there is some kind of balance that should be considered. Can’t bash all subsidies for EV without bashing subsidies for O&G as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    They already have a contingency plan for the longer hauls. They're lining the top of the trailers with solar panels. It should help mitigate SOME of the energy loss.
    But the problem with this is what happens when you drop and hook. Logistics will be a bitch. Because you gonna have to route trucks compatible with the trailer.
    In the meantime you got product wating

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    But the problem with this is what happens when you drop and hook. Logistics will be a bitch. Because you gonna have to route trucks compatible with the trailer.

They are probably going to be marketing these to groups like Amazon and Walmart who own both trailers and trucks and if you're not running an EV truck you won't be contracting with them. Owner operators with older trucks will be doing hauls for groups that don't already have a massive logistics operation in place.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Solar panels would work fine on box vans and reefers, but what about tank trailers, flatbeds, dump trailers? Or any type of trailer without a flat roof panel?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Solar panels would work fine on box vans and reefers, but what about tank trailers, flatbeds, dump trailers? Or any type of trailer without a flat roof panel?

I do not believe they are doing it for tank trailers. Most tank trailers are gas haulers. There are NO2 and Liquid Nitrogen and other TAnk trailers, I would imagine those aren't capable or wanted to be connected to a 240 or 480 DC out for pretty obvious reasons.

Top Bottom