• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Easy way to get an idea of what to expect is check how things went for the August, 2017 eclipse.

Probably the most accurate way to predict crowds, and maybe expect some kind of reduction due to the state of the economy.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    ah so its a case of the media playing up the crowds to get ratings. Who would ever think that our news media would do such an unethical thing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    ah so its a case of the media playing up the crowds to get ratings. Who would ever think that our news media would do such an unethical thing.
    Maybe. It seems there were some areas that had very large crowds. I didn’t look to close over the full path, which I think was much longer than what this one will be.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Haven't been and never do follow the hype of these things but what caught my attention was not seeing what is so special about this little town and the eclipse?

IDK which little town you mean. But Waco and Hillsboro are very near the maximum, and both located on I-35. I suspect that is why they are expecting such large numbers.

If someone is going to travel any real distance for it they will probably want to get as much as they can out of it. And in a nation of 330mm it won’t take a high percentage of people to make a big difference in the populations of a few towns/cities along the path.

TRam

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2023
    Crawford, TX
    Here in Waco, some nuts on the radio and other news outlets are making it sound like the apocalypse is coming. They are telling us to stock-up on groceries and fuel in advance because the road will be congested due to people being pulled over everywhere. Business will be totally disrupted all day long. Yep.... they just made it happen with announcement. Sounds like they are trying to cause panic in the streets.

What I do not get is legal price gouging being allowed by hotels, motels, and car rentals. The cheapest cars found in Waco for that week Kia Rio are like $450.00 per per day according to a vendor flying in to train us on a new software platform that week. I have no reason to doubt him, but did not investigate myself. Any other other business caught in price gouging like that would be hung-out on the nearest barn!

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Some businesses will be allowed to price gouge for their products/services during the eclipse but if gas stations increases gas prices biden's goons will penalize them.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got curious and checked Hillsboro. No rooms available. A few local camp areas I recognized are booked up also.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    It is not price gouging. They could charge $1,000,000,000 a room a night and it is not price gouging.

I hate how many people do not understand what price gouging is.
    We have an available 2nd bedroom. Our apartment building has a roof top pool and lounge to view the eclipse. We'll only charge $100,000 per night. Margaritas, solar glasses and unlimited licks from a toy poodle included.

TRam

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2023
    Crawford, TX
    Some businesses will be allowed to price gouge for their products/services during the eclipse but if gas stations increase gas prices biden's goons will penalize them.

Yes, but let the lowly little hotdog vendor go from $4.00 per dog to $10.00 per dog and run out of town on a rail.
    And... this would be a funny.... what if someone sold toilet paper by the sheet?

kpg4923

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2024
    Central Texas
    Will you explain it? Even include Texas code?
    Sure.

Price gouging requires the item in question to be a basic necessity and a disruption of the free market. Think bottled water after a hurricane that has knocked out the treatment plants. Bottled water at that point becomes a necessity with no substitute.

A hotel for the eclipse is no more of a basic necessity than a hotel room in Omaha during the College World Series. And there is certainly no disruption in the flow of goods and services. Therefore by definition there cannot be price gouging.

I am an economist, not a lawmaker. I have no idea what the idiots in Austin may have codified. But price gouging is an economic term with a clear definition.

kpg4923

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2024
    Central Texas
    We have an available 2nd bedroom. Our apartment building has a roof top pool and lounge to view the eclipse. We'll only charge $100,000 per night. Margaritas, solar glasses and unlimited licks from a toy poodle included.
    And that is NOT price gouging. If someone pays your rate than good for you and good for them. If they do not then oh well. Everyone will move on.

Now, if that room was somehow a necessity, say to save you from a natural disaster of some kind, and there was no way to access any other shelter, than it would become price gouging. But that is not what is happening here.

Top Bottom