• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    The day I came back from my first trip she said she wanted to go. So we just kinda went on her first day off (today). It was kinda funny watching her get all nervous and what not last night. Just like I was before I went the first time. I was gonna have her rent a gun of a smaller caliber because she has weak wrists, but decided to just have her use mine.

She did pretty good, very good considering she'd never shot a gun before today. Had a few kinks. She got a stovepipe jam and think she kinda got nervous not know what to do, I stood behind her the entire time and stepped up when I noticed what was going on. She also has a real problem pulling the slide back. I know she CAN do it because I taught her about the gun when I first got it and showed her how it worked and all. But I guess trying to do it with the gun pointed down range rather than at the ground or however feels natural poses a problem for her.

She was afraid of getting hit the face by the gun because of the recoil, I told her just make sure to hold it good and firm until she gets a feel for the recoil. She said it wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be. No forehead smacks lol.

She's not too bad of a shot, either. She's all grins now and keeps saying "best day ever". We both went through a box of ammo each. I then tried to go through what I have left of the cheap Walmart (Perfecta) ammo I bought that I keep getting jams with. Started hitting the same issues the minute we switched from the Aguila ammo to the Perfecta. She'd decided she had enough when it started happening just like it did for me the last time I went.

I managed to get through about 40 or so rounds of it before I'd decided I had enough too. I was having to load them one at a time. When it happens you can kinda just pull the slide back a bit (1/4 inch) half the time and it will finally load right but not always. That method doesn't seem to work if there's another round in the mag though, so that's why I was having to do them just one at a time. I tried cleaning up the barrel a bit and oiling it to see if that would solve the problem and it didn't. I'm thoroughly convinced it's just the ammo. Even now with the Winchester I keep for protection will rack through an entire magazine just fine, gun hasn't even been cleaned yet. I try to go through one round of the Perfecta, same issue over and over.
    DK Firearms

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have used the pefecta with no problems. But sometimes you just get a gun that does not seem to like some ammo. I know people that get nothing but jsms and misfires from Winchester.
    Glad she had a good time. Sounds like you guys have a new family hobby. Congrats.

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    Yeah I asked the guy there if he'd ever heard anyone complain about it, and he said he hadn't. I guess my gun just does not like it. Guess I'll just have to stick with what I know works.

And yep, hopefully we do. Gonna have to get some new guns though if we plan to do it regularly. Ammo cost is something I never considered before buying my gun.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That's awesome - my wife has no interest in it, but whenever I coax her out to the range, she leaves with a smile. If we can ever meet up at a range, I could bring a couple of revolvers she could try. Shooting .38's out of those is nice, very little kick and no slide to work.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Good job taking your wife to the range. Confidence grows when you become the teacher....
    Btw, do you own a supernova? I own a benelli nova and would eventually like to own a supernova....:-)

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    Nope, my name has nothing to do with guns. Just a weird coincidence I guess? My name is more of a reflection on my personality than anything. I tend to bottle everything up and then explode spectacularly.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Good on ya. Always good to introduce another to the wonderful world of firearms.

Now you have a shooting buddy!

Sent from a B-52 flying over Russia.

Caprica

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    11071509_10152901629728666_5500764917013120282_o(1).jpg
    I'm IAmSupernova's wife. Today was awesome!! The circle on the top right is mine ^_^ Can't wait to go again!

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    Works fine as long as I'm not feeding it Perfecta apparently lol. Still having trouble with the aim being off but I'm not convinced it's the sights. The target hanging up is one of those ones that tells you what you're doing wrong. So I was using that to try and see if I could get better results. I think I did. I think I just need more practice. Target says I'm mostly pushing and anticipating recoil and improper trigger placement with a bit of jerking the trigger. I got much better grouping after I put more thought into squeezing the trigger and trying not to anticipate the recoil.

But yeah the video is where I was having to load one round at a time with the Perfecta.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Works fine as long as I'm not feeding it Perfecta apparently lol. Still having trouble with the aim being off but I'm not convinced it's the sights. The target hanging up is one of those ones that tells you what you're doing wrong. So I was using that to try and see if I could get better results. I think I did. I think I just need more practice. Target says I'm mostly pushing and anticipating recoil and improper trigger placement with a bit of jerking the trigger. I got much better grouping after I put more thought into squeezing the trigger and trying not to anticipate the recoil.

But yeah the video is where I was having to load one round at a time with the Perfecta.

I'm sorry, you did say that... I must be tired. :)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom