• mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Simpler times and great memories ...

I wish my kids could have experienced that and now, more importantly, my grandkids.
    Target Sports

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Simpler times and great memories ...

I wish my kids could have experienced that and now, more importantly, my grandkids.
    Sadly your grandkids will probably NEVER know nor know the taste, the women will wear burkas, men will wear beards and pajamas and both will be wards of the state...eating what ever slop they are allowed.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Sadly your grandkids will probably NEVER know nor know the taste, the women will wear burkas, men will wear beards and pajamas and both will be wards of the state...eating what ever slop they are allowed.

Come on now, even hippies like me will start putting rounds down range before we allow someone to outlaw bacon! The pork revolution! Ha ha

Yeah, to find what you're looking for you gotta search for small local farmers/butchers that will work with you. In Castroville go to Dziuk's meat market and get the parisa. Dziuk's is awesome. Can't find parisa hardly anywhere else. I've got to make it myself up here in Fort Worth.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Come on now, even hippies like me will start putting rounds down range before we allow someone to outlaw bacon! The pork revolution! Ha ha

Yeah, to find what you're looking for you gotta search for small local farmers/butchers that will work with you. In Castroville go to Dziuk's meat market and get the parisa. Dziuk's is awesome. Can't find parisa hardly anywhere else. I've got to make it myself up here in Fort Worth.
    I hope you guys do...

With the govt on some kind of a food/drink bender to outlaw everything THEY think is bad (all the while PUSHING drugs on us), who knows how much longer smoked meats can be around...

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Finishing up the cornbread in a glass of milk after supper was weekday desert, Part 1.

Part 2, after your plate was licked clean, was blackstrap molasses with peanut butter mixed in with your fork, then you had to lick your plate again.

You're right about cracklins. At a hog killing party in South Louisiana, called a boucherie, us kids would make ourselves sick on cracklins, AKA grattons. I would imagine you can still find the good ones in that part of the country.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Catfish "scraps" at THE POINT over in Northeast TX is HEAVEN. = I truly MISS that fish-camp.

yours, satx

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My next door neighbor has a 40 foot offshore boat and they fish constantly. They love to have parties and they're into smokers and other cool ways of cooking. Tracy is a fanatic about his cooking and he hates leftovers so it's the "PERFECT STORM" of free grub for me, a "helpless" bachelor!

DAMN, they cook some great stuff and it's never just ONE thing. They'll combine ribs, chicken, fish, Boudan, sausage. Of course, they get hammered and I don't drink but I eat like a pig, swap stories then when they get hammered, I walk next door and go home.

A few nights ago, they called me on the phone and told me to come over with a plate. They gave me some Alaskan Halibut that they caught on a trip with wonderful potatoes and broccoli. I already had dinner so I stashed it until the next day. It was great!

They are on a trip right now so I'm taking care of their dogs and have mowed their yard when they go on long trips like the trip to Alaska. That's how Texans are as neighbors!

That's how Texas is. I found heaven here and I thank God for bringing me to Texas! I LOVE this place!

Flash

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    My next door neighbor has a 40 foot offshore boat and they fish constantly. They love to have parties and they're into smokers and other cool ways of cooking. Tracy is a fanatic about his cooking and he hates leftovers so it's the "PERFECT STORM" of free grub for me, a "helpless" bachelor!

DAMN, they cook some great stuff and it's never just ONE thing. They'll combine ribs, chicken, fish, Boudan, sausage. Of course, they get hammered and I don't drink but I eat like a pig, swap stories then when they get hammered, I walk next door and go home.

A few nights ago, they called me on the phone and told me to come over with a plate. They gave me some Alaskan Halibut that they caught on a trip with wonderful potatoes and broccoli. I already had dinner so I stashed it until the next day. It was great!

They are on a trip right now so I'm taking care of their dogs and have mowed their yard when they go on long trips like the trip to Alaska. That's how Texans are as neighbors!

That's how Texas is. I found heaven here and I thank God for bringing me to Texas! I LOVE this place!

Flash

And the crowd said "Amen." And it's Boudin. Awesome stuff. Nothing better than having a bbq and inviting friends over.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I've never been one for catfish. It's always been meh to me. Never cooked right. HOWEVER, dad took me out to lunch Thanksgiving week at the Good Luck Grill out in Manor. THAT was some mighty fine catfish. It was right up there on the level of Lockhart BBQ. Gonna have to find my way back out there over the Christmas holiday.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Some years ago, I overheard two Yankees from Massachusetts talking about how much they missed a "boiled fish dinner". That sounded so bad to me that I nearly gagged. Fish can be fried, baked, or broiled, but never "boiled".

I like catfish, but I must confess that I probably favor nearly any fish that's done Cajun style and all nice and spicy!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    we had a lease, nearly 20 years ago, on the Clear Fork of the Brazos in Shackelford County
    Gosh I miss that place. Jon boat on the bank, getting shiners on the way to camp, running trot lines for big Yellows
    can't say how many coolers full of fillets we brought home over the years.

I had a big nail in a Hackberry tree I hung their heads on to skin them out.

good times...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Cooking catfish: Yes its all in the cook or fry.

Breading or coating: Mostly corn meal mix in some flour (my mama used Bisquick), about 80% corn meal, 20% or less flour, this is also the same used for the fried Okra. Neither need to have a heavy coating so don't dip your catfish or okra in milk or anything else, just sprinkle over both sides gives the cats a shake to knock off the loose and fry Put a little salt in you coating for taste.

Oil: Lard is best, but any oil that has no flavor

Frying: best if you have a large iron pot hung over a fire, use this oil to fry the potatoes and okra in. Okra if picked and cut properly will taste a lot like fried oysters. In fact I grew up and we called fried okra East Texas Oysters. Store bought cut okra will never taste like fresh cut whole. Then cut it it about 1 1/2 times larger than the cut okra you get in the freezer section. Those pieces are too small and lose their taste, do not overcook instead use a higher temp to give the edge a little burn and keep the center slightly wet.

Eating the catfish: Catsup or Ketchup and or tartar sauce is a no, adds nothing to the flavor and in fact takes covers up the very LIGHT sweet flavor of catfish, one of the mildest fish you will ever eat. I eat them with lemon juice in this case fresh quartered lemon.

Catfish are served gutted and head off, WHOLE, NO FILLETS, set those on the table in front of me and I will just push them away. (CAUTION NOTE: Catfish are not cheap, but the phony and GMO fish of over 100 species called Tallipia is cheap. Many eateries will serve 'catfish' that is in fact Tallipia! If the cat fish or the fish dish in sauce is not what you remember it tasting like, bet on it that its not the fish you used to eat, its the junk fish called Tallipia, which I WILL NOT EAT at all, suggest do not either)

I get my catfish straight from the fryer and shove a quarter of a lemon in the gut cavity, then repeat with my other one and my other one and my other one (4 is a plate full, okra and fries go on another plate. Time you have spread the cavity and put the lemon in there and poured a beer so cold it gets a little ice in it on the pour, you can come back to the first fish and pull the lemon wedge out and squeeze it on the fish (NOTE: the purpose of the cornmeal coating to to HOLD the lemon juice on it) now you can eat like a king (NOTE: if the head is properly removed at the top of the spine, there are 2 pieces/bites of catfish meat there, one on either side of the spine bones. Its a small bite but its the essence of the catfish and only a novice or uninformed eater will leave them behind...if you see me reaching for your catfish bone and taking a bite it because you left it, many folks do. Its only a small bite and there is no meat under it, so it often goes either unnoticed or folks just don't think there is anything there to eat, there is and its the two best bites of the fish.

Enjoy...

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Anyone that can't tell Talapia from Catfish does not deserve Catfish. Anyone that serves it as Catfish needs a slow tortureing.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    [h=1]Tilapia[/h]
    Tilapia (/tɨˈlɑːpiə/ ti-lah-pee-ə) is the common name for nearly a hundred species of cichlidfish from the tilapiine cichlid tribe. Tilapia are mainly freshwater fish inhabiting shallow streams, ponds, rivers and lakes and less commonly found living in brackish water. Historically, they have been of major importance in artisan fishing in Africa and the Levant and are of increasing importance in aquaculture and aquaponics. Tilapia can become problematic invasive species in new warm-water habitats such as Australia,whether deliberately or accidentally introduced, but generally not in temperate climates due to their inability to survive in cooler waters below about 21 °C (70 °F)

I can tell the difference, but a lot of folks are fooled especially when covered up with Cajun spices, sauces etc. I trust few fish, if its not the whole fish I generally will not eat it...

Top Bottom