• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    There is good food, but fried catfish ranks at the top. I have eaten from the sea, lakes and rivers around the world, but NOTHING tops catfish and it has to be bone in.

When I die and go to heaven I know they are serving BBQ and catfish...I ate my fill last night.

IMG_0878.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Best catfish in the world comes out of the Red River or lake Texoma. There's just something about that salty freshwater.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    There is good food, but fried catfish ranks at the top. I have eaten from the sea, lakes and rivers around the world, but NOTHING tops catfish and it has to be bone in.

When I die and go to heaven I know they are serving BBQ and catfish...I ate my fill last night.

View attachment 29458

This coonass ain't gonna be arguing with you on that score.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I get mine from the catfish cafe, just down the road. Buy it by the pound with spicy pickled tomatoes. Lord I'm hungry all of a sudden.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I like mine blackened or grilled. We used to catch them in the creek, gut them, sprinkle Tonys on them, put a stuck in their mouth and cook them directly over the fire with the stick holding them up. The skin peels back off and the meat is so good.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Fresh Bluegills, on buttered corn meal pancake. With okra fried till it turns black and crispy. Filleted, so i can just eat and not pick out bones.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    City from the country boys, eh?

Where's the fried green tomatoes and polk salad??
    LOL Ok City, next time you get down my way I will throw down a mess of POKE salad for ya.

Few folks eat today as its quite poisonous especially the roots, stems and berries. I ate it growing up, much like most greens, but you have to know how to prepare and cook. (you can eat the stems, my dad would fry them, but they are tough) Mama would have me take a knife a long thin blade used to bone with and I would sharpen it up, real sharp. Then pick up the leaves by the stems and with the knife you slice down on either side of the stem ( I still do this with Mustard, Collard greens unless the leaves are small). Throw the rest away, take the leaves, put them in heavy salted water and bring to a boil, pour off the water, rinse then put them in a pot with water and ham hocks, bacon or other smoked pork, spices and bring to a near boil and them simmer for a few hours. Eat.

Yep we had fried green tomatoes and green tomato pie.

I don't eat fish very often, but when I do I eat fried catfish with a squeeze of fresh lemon (fry you cats in a mix of corn meal and flour (about 80/20).

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Yeah we'd slice off the leafy part, de-vein it (it's what my granny called it) and cook it like spinach, to the best of my recollection.
    Had a crunchy, salty kind of thing going on. Chase it with a tall glass of cornbread in sweet milk ....

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Yeah we'd slice off the leafy part, de-vein it (it's what my granny called it) and cook it like spinach, to the best of my recollection.
    Had a crunchy, salty kind of thing going on. Chase it with a tall glass of cornbread in sweet milk ....
    Ahh you city slickers, cornbread in SWEET milk, heck you probably put Hersey's in there too LOL. No its cornbread in BUTTER milk....actually us kids had it in sweet milk and the grownups had it in buttermilk but today I put it in buttermilk, guess its and old thing...

Of course our cornbread had cracklings in it. Those are very hard to find today, you will see packages marked cracklings, but they are aren't. What you find is fried pork fat and sometimes some thin skin. But real cracklings are thick skin with most of the fat scraped off (this is the rind on bacon if you find bacon with rind on). When I was a kid when we got ready to head out to school we ran down to the kitchen and got a big piece of crackling and put it in cheek, it would soften and we would chew on it...it was like leather, it would be mid morning before we got it chewed up. You weren't allowed to have gum in school but you could have crackling.

Speaking of Rind on bacon. Weill I grew up with that and when I got a bit older then it was my job to take that think blade knife, sharpen it like a razor every morning and slice our own bacon. And you wonder why they made footballs aout of pig skin, let me tell you, but have that knife like a razor or you are not eating breakfast.

In my travels I have stopped at a LOT of 'smokehouses' across the US. MOST of them are nothing but resellers and they only thing they do it put on their own label. Phone calls to smokehouses have yielded the same and the conversation often goes like this:

Yes sir, I would like to buy some of your bacon, unsliced with the rind on, I am willing to pay the same price for your sliced and I will take the whole belly.

(cough, clear throat, feet shuffle) We don't sell it unsliced with rind on.

Yes, I saw that on your website, but if you could just pull a couple of bellies for me, I will pay you per lb price, no problem there just ship me a couple before you peel and slice.

(more coughing, throat clearing, feets shuffling) well the bacon does not come in that way, its already sliced and peeled...

Ohhh, LOL I thought you guys were down home on the original family pig farm for over 100 years corn cob, hickory smoked in granddads log smokehouse, been in business since the 3 wise men bought bacon on the way to the manger to see Jesus LOL?

WELL the farm is still in the family and we do run our packaging and shipping out of here but we get most of our meats someplace, one of the big pig farms out in Va.

Yea I know, I lived in Va for sometime, are things any different now that the Chinese own them?

Thank you for calling I have a meeting to go to Mr Chung King, good bye.

I am not going to name names, but goggle smoked meats, bacon etc take the top ones with all th claims and a website that looks like its home of the "Real McCoys' with pics of grandpa out at the smoke house and granny churning butter then give them a call and see if the conversation does not go exactly like I just said, EXACTLY!

I did find a meat shop and smokehouse down outside of Shiner by about 30 min or so and they had rind on smoked unsliced bacon, but they don't ship.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom