Patriot Mobile

Time for a real "go-to" carbine... help?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What would bring an Ak down?

Owning an AK, I think I should know all their downfalls...

This:

The worst one I've seen was some pin coming loose in the trigger group and locking up the rifle so tight it couldn't be taken apart.

And I saw once where somehow the hammer spring got under one of the "legs" on the trigger. But someone I know built an AK just to see how long it would run without maintenance. He was going on over a year of pretty regular shooting without any lubrication or cleaning. He had to kick the rifle open to take it to the range, because he would sometimes use surplus ammo. The worst I've seen on an AK was the pin retaining spring falling off, though one of those was because the owner forgot to put it in right (and the rifle actually ran fine as long as you held it right-side up) and the other was fixed with a paper clip. Get a pin retainer plate and you'll never have to worry about your pins moving, and it's a lot easier to take it apart and put it back together without making a mistake.

I highly doubt it killed the AK. I'm sure it worked perfectly after they took the cover off and shook the gravel out of it. Did any of you see the HK promotional vid for the 416 where they had a guy in some sort of aquaman ninja suit pop up out of the water and fire it. They did it with an M4 and the upper receiver shattered from the pressure. Now that was painful to watch. Mainly because of the techno. Let me see if I can find it... Haha here it is: YouTube - HK416 vs M4

You have to clear water out of the gas system on a direct impingement rifle or that's what happens because the system pressure will spike excessively - it's designed to have all that open space, and water doesn't compress. Not so with a gas piston - less open space.

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    I have two a smith&wesson mod 19 357mag and a trapper mod 92 also in 357mag same ammo for both guns they are reliable accurate and 357mag will do just fine in any situation in a hurry as go to gun people, put too much faith in having to have fancy simi auto's but that is preference get something that is known for it's reliability no matter what it is and get comfortable with it.

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I would feel save (with the reliability) with either my AK or AR.
    IMG_1143.gif

IMG_1142.gif

But I always end up placing this near me when I sleep at night. I feel much more comfortable moving around the house with this gun. But, again, I like all three!

IMG_1135.gif

IMG_1134.gif

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have two a smith&wesson mod 19 357mag and a trapper mod 92 also in 357mag same ammo for both guns they are reliable accurate and 357mag will do just fine in any situation in a hurry as go to gun people, put too much faith in having to have fancy simi auto's but that is preference get something that is known for it's reliability no matter what it is and get comfortable with it.
    I was thinking the same thing, but definately understand the advantage a semiauto can give you and knew that's what the OP meant anyways. My all purpose do everything gun is a Rossi 92 in 44mag. With the 16" barrel it's lighter and more compact than an AR, and with that caliber I can take a wide variety of game with it. Looks pretty, too...

4378051842_8e8bba51b9.jpg

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    Good choice Dan mine is the same only in 357 i made a shell holder for the butt stock that holds 10 extra rounds the weight is still less than any simi auto but im just a lever gun nut thou i have a m1a1 30 carbine that would work well for the auto stuff but i will stick with my lever gun i also carry single action pistols as well in 357 when i don't feel like toting the mod 19. To everybody eles i like the black guns too not knocking them i have some as well im just more comfortable with my lever guns. Point is find what you like but get a well made one that you know will be reliable. and the least amount of stuff you have hanging off of it the better.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I was thinking the same thing, but definately understand the advantage a semiauto can give you and knew that's what the OP meant anyways. My all purpose do everything gun is a Rossi 92 in 44mag. With the 16" barrel it's lighter and more compact than an AR, and with that caliber I can take a wide variety of game with it. Looks pretty, too...

4378051842_8e8bba51b9.jpg

You want compact? Wait till you see my next purchase.

Microtech Small Arms Research - STG-556™ Sporting Rifle

:D

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think I'd like to get a lever gun eventually. They are just beautiful guns. Its on my list. Still don't know whether to get it in like a 30-30 or a revolver round. But hey, I'm just dreaming. That gun won't be on the top of the List for a decade. . . . . you know, when I get a real job.

And M. Sage, that looks like a sweet rifle.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You want compact? Wait till you see my next purchase.
    Yeah I've got a STG-556, too. You're gonna love it

BTW I weighed the Rossi last night. 5lbs 4oz... Shove it in the scabbard, toss over my shoulder, and hike all day with that.

Since you were talking about how compact the MSAR is, I wanted to add that I find the quick change barrel makes it even MORE compact. The first time I took the MSAR to the range I had it in the backpack. Guy at the counter said to me "So you need the pistol range right?" "Nope, rifle," I said. He kinda peered around at me to see if I had something other than the backpack and then said "uh ok..." I bet a few people were a little surprised when I pulled it out of the backpack and popped the barrel in.
    3467738306_111d291a49.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Since you were talking about how compact the MSAR is, I wanted to add that I find the quick change barrel makes it even MORE compact. The first time I took the MSAR to the range I had it in the backpack. Guy at the counter said to me "So you need the pistol range right?" "Nope, rifle," I said. He kinda peered around at me to see if I had something other than the backpack and then said "uh ok..." I bet a few people were a little surprised when I pulled it out of the backpack and popped the barrel in.
    3467738306_111d291a49.jpg

Awesome! That's what I consider a small backpack!

I thought my underfolder AK would fit in a tiny container. :D

TooManyChoices!?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Texas
    If that little sucker came with a handguard to be gripped like a normal rifle, I would be all over it!! For some reason the pistol grip only just turns me off. The quad rail handguard make it drop-dead sexy though.

My go to rifle/carbine would have to be my DSA FAL with Eotech, and 4X Magnifier for rifle, and the Bushie XM177 W/ 14.5" barrel and perm. AK brake, quad rail, and attatched light, as a go to carbine. Fairly KISS approved.

Oh yeah! First post! Hi everybody!!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If that little sucker came with a handguard to be gripped like a normal rifle, I would be all over it!! For some reason the pistol grip only just turns me off. The quad rail handguard make it drop-dead sexy though.

My go to rifle/carbine would have to be my DSA FAL with Eotech, and 4X Magnifier for rifle, and the Bushie XM177 W/ 14.5" barrel and perm. AK brake, quad rail, and attatched light, as a go to carbine. Fairly KISS approved.

Oh yeah! First post! Hi everybody!!

What, the STG-556? It's actually a lot more comfortable with the front vertical grip. But the grip folds forward and you can grip it like a conventional rifle. It's just too short for a regular front grip. Overall it's more compact than if I were to hold a pistol at full extension.

Top Bottom