ARJ Defense ad

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Nice! I had found an old Wilton bench vise at a swap meet and didn't buy it. Still regret that since they are getting hard to find. That one you have there is a great find.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Tag. Ive got my great grampa's vices and anvil from the prior turn of century.
    Need to clean the vices up and get them mounted.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    sub'd

I got an old Wilton 6in from a garage sale for $10. It was from the 60s according to the model number. Anyway, put about 15min of elbow grease into it and sold it for $220 on Craigslist. I would've lovd to find that old Craftsman at a garage sale or flea market!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    nice, I semi restored one similar to that a few months ago.
    nothing like good quality beats the hell outa those harbor freight junkers

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Have you considered media blasting or a wire wheel? Those jaws look extra minty especially considering the age, but I'd remove them during restoration.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Have an old Record 52 1/2, quick release vise in storage the shop ... garage sale find twenty years ago;
    And a relatively newer Record 52, (pre Irwin) made in England, that gets used almost daily.
    Not many tools made like that today ... good to see folks appreciating them.
    Vises not being all that sexy ..

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Have you considered media blasting or a wire wheel? Those jaws look extra minty especially considering the age, but I'd remove them during restoration.

I have a wire brush on my drill to knock off the paint. I don't have an air compressor or media cabinet here. The vinegar makes it very easy to remove rust.

The jaws will be coming off as soon as I can move the screw out and to do that I think I need to knock out some of this rust.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Keep us updated with plenty of pics. I love seeing stuff like this. I would use a good etching primer

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Just need to settle on a dark grey enamel paint, decide to prime or not to prime and find a good way of polishing the parts that I want to shine.

Paint it bright, Mat. Pick your favorite engine color. I'd try emery strips to polish whatever. Buff it like a shoe.

If the pickle bath doesn't remove everything. Pool acid will.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Someone's been surfing Garage Journal??

If not, here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44782

The derusting solution there posts incredible results on old rust and virtually no work, no mess, no dust, etc. I've seen guys put a rusted chain in and it comes out looking like it just came out of the factory. Beautiful shade of virgin steel.

Anyway, if you need some resources for paint colors, check out Garage Journal or Vintage Machinery.org. Your project here is right up that alley if you haven't already found them.

For an easy grey, Rustoleum does a Hammered grey that goes great on cast iron parts. The uneven surface of the metal compliments the "hammered" effect of the paint. But there are other nice options available too.

As far as the polishing of the shiny parts, it's all elbow grease, paper, polish... Search that too on GJ. Some guys on there are absolute artists at getting results.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    A light emery cloth will put a shine on the parts you want to shine.
    Looks like a good find .
    I have a Craftsman Table saw I bought in 63 from my inlaws neighbor and have no ida as to the real age of it but
    the whole thing is all cast iron and still works great, just replaced the drive belt and blade.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I looked at Craigs List in Dallas after seeing this thread for the first time. There's a market for these old vises just like cast iron skillets. Would love to find either one of them at a great price. Guess I have to start going to garage sales.

Top Bottom