• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I was not in during war, but I was on duty when a KC-135 crashed and I was one of the first on scene and ended up assisting recovering 17 terribly burned bodies. I will not forget the smell of burnt flesh and Jet fuel ever.
    I do think that there should be a distinction in the VA between vet status for claims.
    If you were direct combat you should get faster processing for your claims

Yep.

And there are indeed "priority groups" for eligibility purposes. Way too many Vets simply aren't aware of everything that may be available to them at all levels, VA, state and local.

Many benefits, including healthcare, may require nothing more than a DD214 showing an honorable discharge, with healthcare that was not "service connected" usually requiring a "means test" basis for a co-pay.

Texas, and many counties in the state have tax payer funded Veteran's programs that will assist and go to bat for a Veteran seeking benefits and assistance based on his/her service.

It was stated that soldiers were pushed to apply for VA benefits prior to separation ... that is a damned good thing, IMO, and can't be over stressed in importance.

Because things that happened to you in the service, especially in a combat zone, and that you were too young foolish and tough minded to complain about at the time or, as in many cases, you never mentioned because those around you were hurt much more than you, can come back to make life miserable for you in old age.

Let 50 years go by, leaving you with the burden of proof because they were not mentioned on your medical records upon discharge.

Bottom line: as a Vet you need to help yourself, and no better way is find a Veteran's advocate to guide you through the bureaucratic morass.
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It was stated that soldiers were pushed to apply for VA benefits prior to separation ... that is a damned good thing, IMO, and can't be over stressed in importance.

Indeed it would be. Except that I had reps coming to me and telling to to find something, anything, to file for because “it’s not hard to get 10% disability”.

It’s a dishonest practice, gaming the system. PTSD is probably often used because it’s hard to prove or disprove. I found the idea of people encouraging soldiers to lie or exaggerate in an attempt to get a little “free money” to be disgusting. No better than the welfare fraud the country is plagued with.

I have no problem at all with those who need/earned it. I hope anyone who suffered a lasting injury gets every bit of the help they need. But those ETS vultures are dirt bags. He should have stopped when I told him “no, I have no injuries and need nothing from the VA”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Indeed it would be. Except that I had reps coming to me and telling to to find something, anything, to file for because “it’s not hard to get 10% disability”.

It’s a dishonest practice, gaming the system. PTSD is probably often used because it’s hard to prove or disprove. I found the idea of people encouraging soldiers to lie or exaggerate in an attempt to get a little “free money” to be disgusting. No better than the welfare fraud the country is plagued with.

I have no problem at all with those who need/earned it. I hope anyone who suffered a lasting injury gets every bit of the help they need. But those ETS vultures are dirt bags. He should have stopped when I told him “no, I have no injuries and need nothing from the VA”.

No "vultures and dirt bags" were alluded to in the post I mentioned.

But yes, to see such dishonesty and deceit only requires a short period in any VA facility waiting room listening to the disgusting stories of how to game the system.

None of which has any bearing on the validity of the benefit to a Vet of reporting ALL problems on his discharge medical examination ... or the impact of not doing so can have years down the road, which was my point.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No "vultures and dirt bags" were alluded to in the post I mentioned.

But yes, to see such dishonesty and deceit only requires a short period in any VA facility waiting room listening to the disgusting stories of how to game the system.

None of which has any bearing on the validity of the benefit to a Vet of reporting ALL problems on his discharge medical examination ... or the impact of not doing so can have years down the road, which was my point.

You made a reference to my previous comment about soldiers being pushed to claim something, which was based on the post I quoted which talked about soldiers claiming PTSD and other things that probably weren’t real.

I tried to make it clear that I supported vets getting anything that they should while pointing out that those who are being sent out to make sure they do will often encourage them to claim things they don’t have.

I only quoted and responded to your post because it followed from the previous comments on the topic. Hope that clears up why I went back to the subject.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You're right ...
    My fault, consider it a clarification for my considering the bits irrelevant to a Vet getting help for himself a detriment to the point of my post.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    May I ask what stories are being told to game a system offered by virtue of serving?

When I go into a waiting room. I see people missing legs or obvious signs of cancer. All the talk I hear is vets sharing avenues to benefits the VA themselves never mention on their own. You have to repeatedly ask over and over. A big one is clothing allowance. If you use a muscle rub, you qualify. By their own rules.

The monies paid to vets come from the DOD. Welfare is something completely different. Welfare was what they gave the banks to bail them out.

If there's money for war. There's money for vets. I'm not sure how veterans "game" the system. If by gaming it means begging like you're garbage for decent medical care. I game the $hit out of the VA myself.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have a question and I hope to not step on any toes but there’s something I’ve wondered for many years. I should also state I appreciate everything that the men and women of the armed forces sacrificed rather it was their lives or time.

For the question: Why do I see disabled plates on monster trucks? If you were disabled, wouldn’t you have trouble getting out of such a vehicle? I’m not referring to trucks, I’m talking the ones with 6” lift and 37s or higher.

If that’s anyone on here, this is not a shot at you. It’s a serious question and I understand not everyone’s situation is the same.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I have a question and I hope to not step on any toes but there’s something I’ve wondered for many years. I should also state I appreciate everything that the men and women of the armed forces sacrificed rather it was their lives or time.

For the question: Why do I see disabled plates on monster trucks? If you were disabled, wouldn’t you have trouble getting out of such a vehicle? I’m not referring to trucks, I’m talking the ones with 6” lift and 37s or higher.

If that’s anyone on here, this is not a shot at you. It’s a serious question and I understand not everyone’s situation is the same.

Because the State of Texas offers it as a benefit for those above a certain service connected percentage. The guy in the truck might have two bronze stars and decided against it being labeled on the plate.

The worst injury is what you don't see. I'm eligible for the plates. I have an older plate that has a wheelchair guy on it. Why? Because the DMV asked if I wanted it.

Now, I don't put DV plates on anything. Why? Because it makes people wonder about things they can't possibly understand unless they served. It's sad I have to feel that way. It's another benefit of serving and it'll pi$s certain people off. It's not worth the drama. So I forgo it.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Lots of disabilities do not effect mobility. Think. Also, the current state of prosthetics allows a lot of folks with missing limbs to be very mobile.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    May I ask what stories are being told to game a system offered by virtue of serving?

When I go into a waiting room. I see people missing legs or obvious signs of cancer. All the talk I hear is vets sharing avenues to benefits the VA themselves never mention on their own. You have to repeatedly ask over and over. A big one is clothing allowance. If you use a muscle rub, you qualify. By their own rules.

The monies paid to vets come from the DOD. Welfare is something completely different. Welfare was what they gave the banks to bail them out.

If there's money for war. There's money for vets. I'm not sure how veterans "game" the system. If by gaming it means begging like you're garbage for decent medical care. I game the $hit out of the VA myself.

Quite counting after 46 years of overhearing advice as to which lawyer's, VSO's, psychiatrist's and third party organizations to go to get an edge on claiming increases for everything, including PTSD, diabetic, tinnitus, et al benefits.

Ex BIL, case in point. Sat behind a desk, slept between sheets every night and never ventured off the pavement in Saigon ... SOB is 100%, thanks to his lawyers.

Anytime you have a third party, non veteran individual or organization making money off a Veteran's pain and suffering there is something fucking wrong with the system.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Lots of disabilities do not effect mobility. Think. Also, the current state of prosthetics allows a lot of folks with missing limbs to be very mobile.

Bingo. And for some folks getting into the store is the easy part ... getting back to and into the vehicle might take more effort than most can imagine.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Quite counting after 46 years of overhearing advice as to which lawyer's, VSO's, psychiatrist's and third party organizations to go to get an edge on claiming increases for everything, including PTSD, diabetic, tinnitus, et al benefits.

Ex BIL, case in point. Sat behind a desk, slept between sheets every night and never ventured off the pavement in Saigon ... SOB is 100%, thanks to his lawyers.

Anytime you have a third party, non veteran individual or organization making money off a Veteran's pain and suffering there is something fucking wrong with the system.

I believe it was George Bush Jr who changed the policy to where vets could get lawyers. Considering all the secret waiting lists and dirty VA employees dropping off names. Vets got to die.

The lawyers are a good thing because the VA rarely gives a Damn. They know you by the last four of your SSN over your name.

The third party organizations are heavily occupied by veterans. DAV and TVC are also good things. Don't let the guy in Saigon cloud the lense of veterans in general.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I believe it was George Bush Jr who changed the policy to where vets could get lawyers. Considering all the secret waiting lists and dirty VA employees dropping off names. Vets got to die.

The lawyers are a good thing because the VA rarely gives a Damn. They know you by the last four of your SSN over your name.

The third party organizations are heavily occupied by veterans. DAV and TVC are also good things. Don't let the guy in Saigon cloud the lense of veterans in general.
    Preaching to the choir ...
    The fact that a third party cottage industry should even be necessary, a necessity that puts many Vets, particularly the older ones, at a disadvantage for lack of access or even knowing what is available, is an indictment of the current system ... this ain't the Texas property tax protest cottage industry, but has many of the same unnecessary functions ... that's the "lense that clouds" many Vets view.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I want every vet to get what they need. That’s why I have no problem calling out those who suck money and resources out of the system because some lawyer knew he could make a buck by talking a soldier who was probably never anything more than a detriment to their unit in to claiming BS problems and sucking the VA tit for everything they can get.

It’s not a clouded lens. It’s a clear lens. Lying, lazy, greedy bastards suck resources away from vets who need and deserve them. If someone feels like that is a personal attack against them, I don’t know what to say. Maybe you should consider whether or not you were honest when applying for benefits. If you were, I’m glad you got them and hope you got all that your deserved.

But that desk jockey who strained his elbow sharpening a pencil can go to hell.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Because the State of Texas offers it as a benefit for those above a certain service connected percentage. The guy in the truck might have two bronze stars and decided against it being labeled on the plate.

The worst injury is what you don't see. I'm eligible for the plates. I have an older plate that has a wheelchair guy on it. Why? Because the DMV asked if I wanted it.

Now, I don't put DV plates on anything. Why? Because it makes people wonder about things they can't possibly understand unless they served. It's sad I have to feel that way. It's another benefit of serving and it'll pi$s certain people off. It's not worth the drama. So I forgo it.

Understood. Thank you

Top Bottom