Thinking about a .22 Mag, any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    It doesnt affect what weapons you can use. I was simply citing one of many instances where the TPW is lacking and why I and many others have no faith in that organization.

You do your thing and Ill do mine. Figured the whole "worry about yourself" lesson wouldve been learned in grade school. Remember, dont speed into work in teh morning, wouldnt want to be a law breaker. Im done arguing semantics on the internet, back to the regularly scheduled program.
    Guns International

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    It doesnt affect what weapons you can use. I was simply citing one of many instances where the TPW is lacking and why I and many others have no faith in that organization.

You do your thing and Ill do mine. Figured the whole "worry about yourself" lesson wouldve been learned in grade school. Remember, dont speed into work in teh morning, wouldnt want to be a law breaker. Im done arguing semantics on the internet, back to the regularly scheduled program.

So blatantly breaking the law is semantics?

Like I said, classy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yes, when its the same bullet coming out of the barrel, yes its semantics. Thats like saying theres a difference with a cartridge because the action is bolt or semi. Both result with the same bullet coming out of the end of the barrel, so once again its semantics. Simply another instance of the law being behind times. Ive never had a game warden say anything to me, simply check my tag and go. Maybe its because theyve got better things to do than to worry about semantics.

You should focus all this "dudly-do-right" energy towards something constructive like our current healthcare issues, immigration, budget crisis or education. The world might be a better place, instead of worrying about some random guy on the internet shooting deer on a game managed ranch with legal tags.

HippiePhd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I thought about acquiring a 22mag or 17hmr but then decided to just stick with a nice 223 bolt. There is load data available for Blue-Dot based "gopher" loads that will give you similar performance with a 37gr or 42gr bullet as the 22mag and the 17hmr. Doing that, you can carry a few different sets of rounds but only one rifle. Just switch out your ammo, depending on what you're going after. Also, these loads are so easy on the brass that you can reload until you're blue in the face.

I particularly like this approach because it allows me to keep calibers consolidated. Additionally, I enjoy the benefits of reloading so I try to avoid cartridges that are impossible or hard to reload.

I find that I can cover the spectrum of range/power pretty well by transitioning from .22LR -> .223 -> .308, using different load-outs for each caliber to achieve the appropriate ballistics required for the situation. I have enough trouble keeping up with paying for toys without adding more platforms to the mix. :-)

If you plan on going this route, just ensure that you choose a barrel twist that's compatible with the bullet weights you intend to use.

Gopher Load Sample: To Bee Or 223, That Is The Question (Revisited)

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I tend to disagree, my 17 makes more pronounced divots in my steel targets than my 22mag

Maybe I need to try some different loads in 17hmr, because i don't know about any divots, but for me the .22wmr 40gr CCI's knock steel rams down at 100 yds with much more authority than 17hmr 17gr Hornady.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I gave up. No one keeps them in stock, the only ones I found were a CZ455 which was extremely expensive and I don't need the caliber change capability, and a Marlin. Marlin still lugs the barrel for the front action screw, and for a rifle I plan on accurizing I'd want the barrel free-floated. Unless I can find and look at a Savage 93, I guess this little experiment is over.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    I gave up. No one keeps them in stock, the only ones I found were a CZ455 which was extremely expensive and I don't need the caliber change capability, and a Marlin. Marlin still lugs the barrel for the front action screw, and for a rifle I plan on accurizing I'd want the barrel free-floated. Unless I can find and look at a Savage 93, I guess this little experiment is over.

Buds gun shop has several savage 22 WMR rifles available ranging from $182 to $400+.

Are you wanting to look at one before buying?

Sent from iPhone/Tapatalk

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Buds gun shop has several savage 22 WMR rifles available ranging from $182 to $400+.

Are you wanting to look at one before buying?

Yeah, I'd like to. I've handled a 93 in 17HMR, so I know the action and that stuff, but I wanted to see the wood quality before I spent the extra money on a wood stock. I'll try and make it to another shop some time soon and look at one of their Savage rifles. I'm pretty interested in the 93, but all I've found are synthetic stocked rifles in person.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    I doubt you will find one of the laminated ones in stock locally. They use the same wood for both the 17HMR and the 22WMR so you can expect them to be similar. Here's a picture of both of mine.

bb0998c2.gif

I'm currently waiting for glass for the grey one which is the 17HMR.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Maybe I need to try some different loads in 17hmr, because i don't know about any divots, but for me the .22wmr 40gr CCI's knock steel rams down at 100 yds with much more authority than 17hmr 17gr Hornady.
    My "test" was far from scientific. Just plinking at some metal targets with both of them, although I was shooting the 17gr Vmax in the 17 and regular ole CCI plated hollow points in the 22mag. Next time I take it to the range Ill have to use some of the Vmax 22mag stuff and see how it does.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, I found a used Marlin 782 yesterday and purchased it. Wood stock, magazine fed and micro-grove goodness. Pictures to come when I have a charged battery in a little while.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've put the Marlin 2000 trigger parts into my other Marlin rifle, so as soon as they have a sear in stock at Numrich, I'll pick the parts up and get the trigger down to a better pull weight.

Whole rifle
    t64Bz.jpg

Nice Marlin sling that came with it
    u8NuL.jpg

You can see, the finish is not amazing, but the flash makes it look worse than it is.
    Jp21T.jpg

Ring groves.
    Bay8r.jpg

The most important part, the Marlin bullseye.
    QozO2.jpg

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Phat, very cool. Have you shot it yet? I think I may have a spare magazine for that rifle (bought it thinking it would work in my 922M). If I can find it, I'll ship it to you, no cost.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Phat, very cool. Have you shot it yet? I think I may have a spare magazine for that rifle (bought it thinking it would work in my 922M). If I can find it, I'll ship it to you, no cost.

I really appreciate that, thank you.

I haven't shot it yet, hopefully I can get a little time free after work some time this week and I can get to the range.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Mounted a weaver scope in a tip-off mount I had sitting around. It took me a while to level the crosshairs, and on the last screw my driver bit slipped and sliced a hole in my thumb, but hopefully it was worth it.

CTPZy.jpg

c3uL8.jpg

Top Bottom