Venture Surplus ad

Thinking about a .22 Mag, any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Looking for a bolt-action and I know the Savages and Marlins are out there, but is there anything else that I should be checking out? Also, is there enough difference in the real-world performance between a hot .22 LR and a mag to justify a whole different rifle and caliber? I've only shot a .22 mag one time, so I don't really have enough experience with one to know.
    Hurley's Gold

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I like mine a lot. It's significantly more than a 22LR. The Savage does an adequate job of accuracy, but my guess is that there are higher quality rifles that would allow the cartridge to shine.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have .22mag bolt action rifles from Ruger, Marlin, and CZ....the CZ's are fantastic shooters, very accurate, and wont break the bank. The .17hmr might be a bit more accurate, but if you're going to shoot steel or vermin, the .22mag provides a lot more thump.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    CZ makes an excellent .22mag.
    Model 452 is available in various configurations...

I have one in 17hmr. Heavy barrel. I got mine from Bud's. IMO it makes the savage and marlin rifles look like cheap toys. They have an old school feel to them. Strong lock up. Wonderful deep blue. Awesome wood.

Its pretty close to the ruger line of rimfire bolts in workmanship. The ruger is a hair bit cleaner on machining.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I love my CZ .17. This is a 453 with the set trigger and fluted barrel. Just need more range time with it.. darn rain.

rifle1p.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I love my CZ .17. This is a 453 with the set trigger and fluted barrel. Just need more range time with it.. darn rain.

rifle1p.jpg

Slobbers*

Mine doesn't have the set trig or the flute barrel. Dang.

If you havent shot can food with a 17 yet......man.....try it. They don't just pop open. They explode. WD40 cans launch in the air. 17hmr will burn through one side of army surplus practice grenade at 50yards like its armor piercing. Rabbits go Roswell when hit. Inside out. Strawberry mash.

A 22mag would in the same gun be kickbutt!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a Savage 17 that I much prefer over the 22mag.

$ is about the same for ammo, but the accuracy is much better with the 17. About the only thing I would prefer the 22mag on is perhaps a coyote. Anything smaller, and the 17 is just crazy destructive with those ballistic tips. Like the earlier post, strawberry mash. They are really fun at the range too.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I have .22mag bolt action rifles from Ruger, Marlin, and CZ....the CZ's are fantastic shooters, very accurate, and wont break the bank. The .17hmr might be a bit more accurate, but if you're going to shoot steel or vermin, the .22mag provides a lot more thump.
    I tend to disagree, my 17 makes more pronounced divots in my steel targets than my 22mag, nevermind the pinpoint accuracy out to 200yds. My dad used his ruger 22mag for head shooting does for years, since we both got Ruger X17s the 22mag hasnt been out of the safe. Plus theyre just plain sexy
    IMAG0765.jpg

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    I tend to disagree, my 17 makes more pronounced divots in my steel targets than my 22mag, nevermind the pinpoint accuracy out to 200yds. My dad used his ruger 22mag for head shooting does for years, since we both got Ruger X17s the 22mag hasnt been out of the safe. Plus theyre just plain sexy
    IMAG0765.jpg

Shooting deer with a 22 mag?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    A well placed shot right behind the ear works just fine, doesnt make as much noise or as much mess under the feeder.

Yeah well the problem is its illegal to hunt deer with any rimfire caliber.

MEANS AND METHODS
    FIREARMS

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, EXCEPT:

• white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Im well aware of that, but I also use a little bit of common sense. You realize the 17 hornet is a centerfire cartridge that has basically the same ballistics? Then youve got the tards who hunt deer with 223s and a 22-250s and shoot them in the gut or chest. With a headshot you either make a lethal kill or miss. Much better than gut shooting a deer or making it suffer with a little pin prick from some of the tiny calibers youre technically allowed to shoot. I dont need to be cited the letter of the law, the rimfire stipulation is antiquated at best and needs to be updated. Its needs to be caliber limited IMO, who cares the means of ignition. Personally I dont think you should be allowed to shoot deer with anything less than a 243, but Im also not trying to take a chest shot either.

Bet you never run any stoplights or speed either...

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Im well aware of that, but I also use a little bit of common sense. You realize the 17 hornet is a centerfire cartridge that has basically the same ballistics? Then youve got the tards who hunt deer with 223s and a 22-250s and shoot them in the gut or chest. With a headshot you either make a lethal kill or miss. Much better than gut shooting a deer or making it suffer with a little pin prick from some of the tiny calibers youre technically allowed to shoot. I dont need to be cited the letter of the law, the rimfire stipulation is antiquated at best and needs to be updated. Its needs to be caliber limited IMO, who cares the means of ignition. Personally I dont think you should be allowed to shoot deer with anything less than a 243, but Im also not trying to take a chest shot either.

Bet you never run any stoplights or speed either...

So not only are you intentionally breaking the law because you know better than TPW, but also posting so on a public forum AND trying to take pot shots at me?

Classy.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yes, Im an internet badass, cant you tell.

I dont believe anyone has ever accused any government entity of being timely with thier rules or using sound logic. Again, the 17 hornet has the same ballistics and worse accuracy than the 17HMR, please tell me how it is a worse choice than a techinically legal round and why the way its ignited matters a bit? Last time I checked the only thing the deer cares about is where it gets hit and what with. I believe in killing animals as humainly as possible and in my experience a shot to the base of the skull is the best way and it doesnt take a 50BMG to do it.

Judging by your remarks Im guessing youre not a hunter or atleast one that pays attention, otherwise youd leave out the whole comment about being smarter than TPW. There is a reason why more and more big ranches are ponying up the money to get a biologist survey done so they dont have to deal with TPW.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Yes, Im an internet badass, cant you tell.

I dont believe anyone has ever accused any government entity of being timely with thier rules or using sound logic. Again, the 17 hornet has the same ballistics and worse accuracy than the 17HMR, please tell me how it is a worse choice than a techinically legal round and why the way its ignited matters a bit? Last time I checked the only thing the deer cares about is where it gets hit and what with. I believe in killing animals as humainly as possible and in my experience a shot to the base of the skull is the best way and it doesnt take a 50BMG to do it.

Judging by your remarks Im guessing youre not a hunter or atleast one that pays attention, otherwise youd leave out the whole comment about being smarter than TPW. There is a reason why more and more big ranches are ponying up the money to get a biologist survey done so they dont have to deal with TPW.

Regardless of what we think or may even know regarding ballistics, the law is the law. That was my point all along.

And yes I am a hunter. Been hunting for over 30 years.

What does having a biologist have to do with the game laws?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Ok so you fall into the "not paying attention" category. If youre a landowner, you have a couple options to circumvent many of the "bag limit" rules of the TPW. You can use game camera surveys which is done by using your own cameras year round and submitting them to the TPW and they do their own sort of "game survey" and will release a corresponding number of tags instead of your current county limit. Or the best way is hiring a game biologist who does their own survey and they say how many does and how many bucks need to be culled. They are licensed through the TPW but thats about where the connection ends. All harvested animals are still reported to TPW but they have much less control over it. Also in case you havent noticed the Texas hill country is overrun with whitetail deer yet the bag limits havent increased, as well as the skyrocketing axis population.

If it comes down to it, Im just a really bad shot with my 45 thats always on my side when hunting. I harvest what the biologist tells me and many times its more than what my family can shoot. Especially if we're firing off arm cannons every time we pull the trigger. Thats also a reason why my trust is being drawn up to get some more quiet toys for the woods now that hunting is legal with a supressor.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Ok so you fall into the "not paying attention" category. If youre a landowner, you have a couple options to circumvent many of the "bag limit" rules of the TPW. You can use game camera surveys which is done by using your own cameras year round and submitting them to the TPW and they do their own sort of "game survey" and will release a corresponding number of tags instead of your current county limit. Or the best way is hiring a game biologist who does their own survey and they say how many does and how many bucks need to be culled. They are licensed through the TPW but thats about where the connection ends. All harvested animals are still reported to TPW but they have much less control over it. Also in case you havent noticed the Texas hill country is overrun with whitetail deer yet the bag limits havent increased, as well as the skyrocketing axis population.

If it comes down to it, Im just a really bad shot with my 45 thats always on my side when hunting. I harvest what the biologist tells me and many times its more than what my family can shoot. Especially if we're firing off arm cannons every time we pull the trigger. Thats also a reason why my trust is being drawn up to get some more quiet toys for the woods now that hunting is legal with a supressor.

I'm guessing you are talking about the MLD program and I am familiar with that as well. I have hunted on multiple MLD level III ranches. I have also hunted in counties that can participate in the LAMPS program.

Last I knew of that affected your bag limits and season dates depending on what level MLD program that you fall under but it did not change the legalities of what weapons you can use other than being able to hunt with a legal firearm beginning October 1 instead of being restricted to archery equipment.

So I would say your categorization of me is wrong.

Top Bottom