Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Does anybody actually like or enjoy commercials?
    OK, this is more of a pet peeve than a "things people say", but as long as the subject is commercials...

I got a Tivo so I could, among other things, fly past the commercials. You learn what your program looks like and after a while you can hit fast forward three times and get the timing down so that the commercials fly by and you go almost instantly to the point where the program starts again.

The programmers have started getting wise to this. They've begun "teasing" their programs with a 10-second commercial for the program you're watching right in the middle of each commercial break. That's just enough onscreen time for the regular program logo or style that it trips the "hit play now" response in those of us who have been flying past commercials for over a decade now. Given the way the Tivo button response is timed, this usually means I see half a commercial I don't want.

It's clever, all right, but it's also infuriating.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    The programmers have started getting wise to this. They've begun "teasing" their programs with a 10-second commercial for the program you're watching right in the middle of each commercial break. That's just enough onscreen time for the regular program logo or style that it trips the "hit play now" response in those of us who have been flying past commercials for over a decade now. Given the way the Tivo button response is timed, this usually means I see half a commercial I don't want.

I frikkin hate that BS

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    proves how REALLY odd i am .. i don't mind them.. actually do a sorta "critique" .. wife calls me the professor... this is not to be taken as a positive.. fact is i do like to revue.. then sorta rate em.. at least those that are well made get a thumbs up from somebody..

i'm thinking i shouldn't have mentioned any of this..

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    proves how REALLY odd i am .. i don't mind them.. actually do a sorta "critique" .. wife calls me the professor... this is not to be taken as a positive.. fact is i do like to revue.. then sorta rate em.. at least those that are well made get a thumbs up from somebody..

i'm thinking i shouldn't have mentioned any of this..
    yeah I do that twice as much<---1 up ya

Actualy it is fun when i'm around them I will make shit up just to see what they can come up with

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Greg.. back at ya here.. got a son-n-law.. best you could ask for.. never borrowed a dime.. I'm feeling like Henny Youngman.. "take my wife.. please"..

serious here.. bow and rifle hunter.. Javalina that's just as in JUST under Boon and Crockett.. when "they" leave us alone will mute the TV and do voice over on the commercial.. dog's get all PTSD.. "they" don't leave us alone very often..

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I hate the increasing number of internet terms such as "viral" "phishing" "trojan" or any other BS word made up for virtual systems. Grinds my gears.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yea my brother is the same way. He's got a SWEET Sig p226 Texas edition. We just went out and shot it last weekend and now he's just putting it away for a while without cleaning it first. He just glanced at it at the range and said it doesn't look dirty. Didn't even take the thing apart! Next time i go to his house, I'm taking my cleaning stuff to clean it for him lol

He got a Sig SWAT rifle as well and I guarantee he just wipes out the chamber with a paper towel. Smh lol

I think I cleaned my P226 twice last year, but it might have only been once. It's not dirty until it won't shoot where you tell it to, or it starts to malfunction. A properly-lubed, quality gun, you can go a few thousand rounds before you even have to worry about it.

I just realized a few weeks ago that my Ruger Mk II has about three thousand rounds of filthy bulk .22 through it since the last time it was cleaned or even lubricated. Still good for shooting shotgun shells at 30 yards, and not a hiccup in the whole 500 round pack I shot a few weeks ago.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Are you saying that cleaning is overrated

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

People over-do it. I'd bet more barrels are worn out by cleaning rods than by actually sending ammo downrange. People over-do it with the stupid "break-in" thing, too. Your barrel doesn't need a break-in. It's as accurate as it'll get with the first shot through it. It's not going to get better. Ditto action break-in. If you buy a pistol that needs a certain number of rounds before it'll work reliably, send it back and tell them to get their goddamn tolerances right. Action break-in is just another way of saying "we built it too tight and/or too fast with shitty finish on the parts, so you're going to polish it with wear!"

Yes, I'm looking at you, Kimber. Your 1911s are too fucking tight and you know it.

Top Bottom