Texas SOT

They no longer build beautiful hunting guns like they used to.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Three very nice guns, good for you that you like them and that you know what you like. Personal tastes though are just that - personal. So, as for me, I much prefer something like this and will forever kick myself in mine arse for having sold it. It retained 95%-98% of its case color and the pictures honestly do not do that justice. The guy who bought it from me left this feedback: "It’s absolutely beautiful....I couldn’t be more impressed....work of art.....I would of paid twice and still be happy":

View attachment 295723 View attachment 295724

The Marlin 1936 (2nd variation) in 30-30; very simple yet quite splendid. Of course, that is as per my personal preference, others will find something else more to their liking. Then again, I'd love to have one of these but doubt I could ever afford one and it is one of their less expensive premium models, certainly much less expensive than this one labelled as their ultimate masterpiece.
    You do realize that the OP isn't going to reply back, don't you?

He was banned, again, this morning.
    Texas SOT

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I hope y'all could tell from the get go the new poster was a plant. Why do you think I wrote what I did at the beginning (and the fact what I said is true).
    After a discourse with the OP on another thread he started, I didn't feel the need to discuss anything more with him. Decided to go and watch TV instead. Seeing this morning he got banned, well, it seemed appropriate.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    After a discourse with the OP on another thread he started, I didn't feel the need to discuss anything more with him. Decided to go and watch TV instead. Seeing this morning he got banned, well, it seemed appropriate.
    Likely a good idea. I know I am not the only one that could see the writing on the wall.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If you are not seeing the beautiful guns it’s for a few reasons. You’re not looking in the the right places. And you’re not willing to fork out the cost of ownership.

I would suggest you attend one of the high end auctions that offer them, or go to the SCI Convention. A walk through the Krieghoff display at the SHOT.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My love affair with guns is a very broad selection of guns. Just because I don’t own any guns of the old west don’t mean they do not interest me. I can see beauty in an old SAA or lever action.

For the most part firearms have been reserved for the rich land owners. Be it to protect his land & wealth of bring home the venison. There are a few other countries that have gun ownership for the general population.

Let’s face it most research & development in firearms comes in the way of the military of various nations. This means mass production which equates to cheap readily available materials. Not sure but I don’t think aluminum will take a super deep bluing. Then again look at the parts on your WWII production gun for tool marks, and compare them to the tool marks on you recent AR.

Beauty has never come cheap be it guns, vehicles, women, land or animals.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I like the old stuff too, but prefer Marlins to Savage 99s and Winchester 70s to Husqvarnas. Personal preference. As far as shotguns are concerned, there's better guns made now than the Superposed. The Belgian Brownings suffered from forend cracks and salt wood. A mid-grade Beretta or Rizzini is a better gun...if you're going to shoot it a lot. And both are hand-fitted, at least in the higher grades.

1955 Winchester 70 in .30-06
    FZlBCMM.jpg

Marlin 336 from 1956 or so. Hand-checkered at the factory
    ixdXSWM.jpg

Z4xaoXK.jpg

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    You do realize that the OP isn't going to reply back, don't you?

He was banned, again, this morning.
    I did not notice he was banned but I don't give a shit if he replies. My reply was to the post and my reply was for everyone to read not just him. It was a rather interesting post on his part which easily could have been his actual opinion as to what he liked (then again - maybe it was BS). I am curious though, why was he delivered a blow from the hammer of banishment?

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I like the old stuff too, but prefer Marlins to Savage 99s and Winchester 70s to Husqvarnas. Personal preference. As far as shotguns are concerned, there's better guns made now than the Superposed. The Belgian Brownings suffered from forend cracks and salt wood. A mid-grade Beretta or Rizzini is a better gun...if you're going to shoot it a lot. And both are hand-fitted, at least in the higher grades.

1955 Winchester 70 in .30-06
    FZlBCMM.jpg

Marlin 336 from 1956 or so. Hand-checkered at the factory
    ixdXSWM.jpg

Z4xaoXK.jpg
    Those are beautiful pieces

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I did not notice he was banned but I don't give a shit if he replies. My reply was to the post and my reply was for everyone to read not just him. It was a rather interesting post on his part which easily could have been his actual opinion as to what he liked (then again - maybe it was BS). I am curious though, why was he delivered a blow from the hammer of banishment?
    That banned member was pretty much a BS artist, and probably got banned again for trolling the forum again. This was the third time he was banned.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    We are moving from beautiful deep blues with wood of furniture quality to parkerized and synthetic. The newer stuff might be more durable, but I prefer the older stuff personally. Not sure how we got to this point. Did the consumers demand this, or was it brought about by the manufacturers as a cost cutting measure that was marketed as an upgrade?
    I guess it was a combination of the 1990's facination with sniper/military rifles and the manufactors seizing on the chance lower production costs while marketing the new style as an upgrade.

Top Bottom