Guns International

They no longer build beautiful hunting guns like they used to.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AttaBoyDavid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Middle America
    The following 3 long guns are the most attractive models I've ever seen. My granddad owned 2 of them: Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage with straight uncheckered stock and a Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade with Monte Carlo stock in .308.

There isn't any lever-action rifle sleeker and more elegant than the American Savage Model 99 series. It's production is sorely missed. The Swedish Husqvarna 3000 Crown Grade bolt-action rifle is pure majesty to behold. Those European gun makers were master artists just like Da Vinci and Van Gogh. Mauser 98 action, long rotary control-feed extractor claw, jeweled bolt, fancy hand-rubbed walnut Monto Carlo stock, hand checkering, white spacers, metal butt plate, hinged floor plate, smooth, polished round-ball-knob, tapered and curved bolt handle. My grandfather's Husky had a darker wood finish and was in safe-queen condition when he passed away. The venerable Browning Superposed over/under shotgun is sheer elegance from the old-world craftsmen of Belgium.

I would almost trade my soul for any of these guns in minty shape. They are hard to find, sold out a lot or prohibitively expensive. This awesome threesome are the ultimate envy of American hunters and gun collectors.

three beautiful hunting guns.jpg
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The old Savage 99 is a cool rifle that was one of the finest around in it's day. They don't get the respect - and price - of old Winchesters, but the Savage had some great features, like the window that shows the rounds left and the rotary magazine that lets you use pointed bullets. If nobody refinished it, it's likely that the original varnish has yellowed or cracked.

There are some pretty rifles still made, but these days most people's tastes seem to run towards synthetic stocks with a focus on accuracy. Go to a shooting range during the week and sometimes you'll see the guys (who can afford to shoot on Wednesday instead of having to be at work) with really nice custom rifles. There's certainly something to be said for that nice furniture.

Reactions: AS2

AttaBoyDavid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Middle America
    The Hi
    The old Savage 99 is a cool rifle that was one of the finest around in it's day. They don't get the respect - and price - of old Winchesters, but the Savage had some great features, like the window that shows the rounds left and the rotary magazine that lets you use pointed bullets. If nobody refinished it, it's likely that the original varnish has yellowed or cracked.

There are some pretty rifles still made, but these days most people's tastes seem to run towards synthetic stocks with a focus on accuracy. Go to a shooting range during the week and sometimes you'll see the guys (who can afford to shoot on Wednesday instead of having to be at work) with really nice custom rifles. There's certainly something to be said for that nice furniture.
    The Husqvarna 3000 Crown Grade rifle as shown above is a bolt-action with the most perfect lines. It's something of a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud, Mercedes-Benz or Cadillac with tail fins one can shoot. They were built from the early 1950's through the early 1970's. Of course automobiles built during that era were a lot prettier in style too and rock solid in materials. From what I gather, the arms plant in Sweden that built these Huskys and Carl Gustaf rifles as well shut down a long time ago. None of the new Sako rifles even look as nice as these classic Swedish guns. The only way one can get that beautiful Mauser 98 action with that perfect polished smooth ball bolt handle in a new "production" gun nowadays is from a custom shop. That old Husky was a "custom rifle" right out of the factory and I believe they were imported to America by Smith & Wesson. My grandfather's Husky 3000 was purchased as a present for my grandfather by my parents over in Germany while dad was stationed in the air force there. He told me that Husqvarna retailed new for $200 back in 1962 mind you. This was two years before my time. In 1999, I sadly lost my treasured grandfather's Husky 3000 as well as his treasured Savage 99 in a home burglary never to be recovered. Sadly, Savage Arms would not continue production of the Model 99 past the year 1998. I read their 100+ years old machinery and tooling for these guns was obsolete and it would be cost-prohibitive to retool for the design of this classic rifle with modern machinery. These Savage 99's were complex to manufacture.

The Browning Superposed is certainly the classic Mercedes of over/under shotguns. I've seem some listing for $5K or more. A minty Belgian-made Browning Superposed shotgun would never be taken by me to a duck blind or marsh but certainly to a dove field over MOJO's or a pheasant push in the uplands. Holland & Holland of England would certainly be the Rolls-Royce of over/under guns price-wise. $100K or more.

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx

I love the wood

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    The following 3 long guns are the most attractive models I've ever seen. My granddad owned 2 of them: Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage with straight uncheckered stock and a Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade with Monte Carlo stock in .308.

There isn't any lever-action rifle sleeker and more elegant than the American Savage Model 99 series. It's production is sorely missed. The Swedish Husqvarna 3000 Crown Grade bolt-action rifle is pure majesty to behold. Those European gun makers were master artists just like Da Vinci and Van Gogh. Mauser 98 action, long rotary control-feed extractor claw, jeweled bolt, fancy hand-rubbed walnut Monto Carlo stock, hand checkering, white spacers, metal butt plate, hinged floor plate, smooth, polished round-ball-knob, tapered and curved bolt handle. My grandfather's Husky had a darker wood finish and was in safe-queen condition when he passed away. The venerable Browning Superposed over/under shotgun is sheer elegance from the old-world craftsmen of Belgium.

I would almost trade my soul for any of these guns in minty shape. They are hard to find, sold out a lot or prohibitively expensive. This awesome threesome are the ultimate envy of American hunters and gun collectors.

View attachment 295595
    Amazing that some of the classics can be found for the same or lower price than a modern rifle.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    We are moving from beautiful deep blues with wood of furniture quality to parkerized and synthetic. The newer stuff might be more durable, but I prefer the older stuff personally. Not sure how we got to this point. Did the consumers demand this, or was it brought about by the manufacturers as a cost cutting measure that was marketed as an upgrade?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Those beauties are still out there. You just have to hunt for them. One rifle I've always wanted but have never owned is the Winchester Model 1895.
    Such a cool gun.
    Back in the 1980's Browning did some limited edition reproductions of the 95. These are perfect for use as they're modern guns with good steel in them as well as no dorky safety button on the tang like the more recent Winchester 95's.
    Originals are way cool too but they're usually beat to hell clapped out junk or minty examples that are too valuable/rare to go shoot.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    We are moving from beautiful deep blues with wood of furniture quality to parkerized and synthetic. The newer stuff might be more durable, but I prefer the older stuff personally. Not sure how we got to this point. Did the consumers demand this, or was it brought about by the manufacturers as a cost cutting measure that was marketed as an upgrade?
    I think lots of manufacturers moved in that direction for two reasons. One consumers were wanting a no-nonsense all-weather rifle that could handle the abuse of hunting and not scratching or ruining a really beautiful hunting rifle.

Second reason, it's cheaper and less labor intensive to use a synthetic stock instead of one made from wood, and to bead blast the metal and blue it, or coat it, rather than all the time spent polishing and buffing before blueing the metal parts.

Personally, for a hunting rifle, I would go with a less attractive and more utilitarian rifle than one that was beautiful. Since I don't hunt anymore, many of my rifles are being converted to wood stocks over their synthetic stocks.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I think lots of manufacturers moved in that direction for two reasons. One consumers were wanting a no-nonsense all-weather rifle that could handle the abuse of hunting and not scratching or ruining a really beautiful hunting rifle.

Second reason, it's cheaper and less labor intensive to use a synthetic stock instead of one made from wood, and to bead blast the metal and blue it, or coat it, rather than all the time spent polishing and buffing before blueing the metal parts.

Personally, for a hunting rifle, I would go with a less attractive and more utilitarian rifle than one that was beautiful. Since I don't hunt anymore, many of my rifles are being converted to wood stocks over their synthetic stocks.
    How about some before and after pics.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    This awesome threesome are the ultimate envy of American hunters and gun collectors.
    Three very nice guns, good for you that you like them and that you know what you like. Personal tastes though are just that - personal. So, as for me, I much prefer something like this and will forever kick myself in mine arse for having sold it. It retained 95%-98% of its case color and the pictures honestly do not do that justice. The guy who bought it from me left this feedback: "It’s absolutely beautiful....I couldn’t be more impressed....work of art.....I would of paid twice and still be happy":

123.jpg
    456.jpg

The Marlin 1936 (2nd variation) in 30-30; very simple yet quite splendid. Of course, that is as per my personal preference, others will find something else more to their liking. Then again, I'd love to have one of these but doubt I could ever afford one and it is one of their less expensive premium models, certainly much less expensive than this one labelled as their ultimate masterpiece.

Top Bottom