• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    OK, I went to the local Academy to look through what they had. They really didn't have anything that was able to be demoed. Only the Rattler V2 25-384 would power on. I have to say I was impressed with the thermal image. It definitely showed people next to "things". It didn't differentiate well the store background that was near the same temperature. This makes sense. This wasn't the model I was looking at buying at $2000. I was more into the 25-256 at $1000.

I with I could look through any digital NV. I'll head to Bass Pro to see what they can demo.

Be aware that looking at people in a climate controlled store with relatively low humidity at fairly short distances is not going to give you an accurate idea of what to expect on a hot evening with high humidity or maybe fog, or all the other weird environmental factors.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, I know its not a great test but its all I had. I'm sure the guy wouldn't like me heading outside with his unsold 2k optic.

I talked to a guy that went to Cabelas and they walked to the parking lot with him so he could try out a Leupold thermal spotter.

Not sure how common that is or if you have one nearby.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I'll ask when I get there. We will see.

One critique I forgot to mention is the ocular screen focus. I recently had to start wearing reading glasses. When the sales guy handed me the scope, I couldn't see the menu text clearly. I unscrewed the rear housing thinking it was a focus knob but it wasn't. It worked but I'm sure I did that wrong. I only had it for about 5 minutes total so I didn't have time to figure out the right way. Just one more thing to account for when getting old.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This was the first time I went out hunting with my S3. The feeder is 65 yards away. Possum starts at probably around 75 yards and ends up in front of the feeder. I was still figuring out some of the settings at the time and had the scope mounted a little too far forward. It normally runs about $1800, but I was able to find a $200 off coupon on Amazon.

I don’t think it would be happy with less resolution.

DoubleNaughtSpy has a ton a good thermal vids on his YT channel as well. Not always side by side, but in a lot of different conditions. Enough that I was comfortable ordering the S3 without trying it and feeling like I knew what to expect.

Top Bottom