• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CATI1836

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2019
    Sherman
    Like the title says, thermal optics or night vision? I'm looking at getting into the game of being able to see in the dark. What are some pros and cons of each? Budget would be about 1k for the initial setup. Context here would be pig hunting and ranch defense from predator regardless of how many legs they have. TIA

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I have both and thermal hands down. IR is more defined and clear, but range is limited to your ir light strength. I can see 200 yards, but only really see details to about 75yards. My thermal can see radio towers a mile away. Objects stand out on thermal against the background as well and that's huge. I've moved my ir to a 22lr 10.5 suppressed setup and keep my thermal on the center fires.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For 1k I’d say the best option is digital night vision with a good IR light. Something like the X-sight.

I have a Rod S3 Thermal and while I’m very happy with it, it’s $1800 and I don’t think I would be happy with any lower resolution.

My S3 and X-Sight Pro 4K have about the same useful range. The disadvantage of the X-Sight is that it works like a camera so it you have brush directly ahead of you it can cause the background to darken. But with clear line of sight it’s easily useful to 250 yards with my Wicked IR light. Downside my S3 is lower resolution, so by 250 yards you need to know what’s in the field your hunting and be able to identify the animal based on more factors like movement. Identification with thermal is…kind of different.

But for 1k budget I’d choose my X-sight again over thermal.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have both and thermal hands down. IR is more defined and clear, but range is limited to your ir light strength. I can see 200 yards, but only really see details to about 75yards. My thermal can see radio towers a mile away. Objects stand out on thermal against the background as well and that's huge. I've moved my ir to a 22lr 10.5 suppressed setup and keep my thermal on the center fires.

What thermal and Digital NV are you comparing?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    For huntng thermal.

For navigation (hiking, etc), Night Vision.

Neither offers a $1k price point. But the digitial units work fine for pig hunting and are priced lower, though maybe not under $1k.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    For huntng thermal.

For navigation (hiking, etc), Night Vision.

Neither offers a $1k price point. But the digitial units work fine for pig hunting and are priced lower, though maybe not under $1k.
    AGM's 19x256 and 25x256 Rattler thermal scope isnt bad.

Priced around $800 (Amazon has a "used VG" opened box 19MM for $675 and A 25mm for $676 right now...)

I have the 50x640 Rattler and am very happy with it.
    704c7c1f4cd9c821cf2e758f255306f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

The Narrator

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2024
    Texas
    Both have unique uses, and both seriously depend on price point/quality.

I personally like NV for short range hog/coyote/varmint on nights that have a little ambient light.

A top shelf thermal is hard to beat, but research options, battery life, ease of use, etc. carefully. I carry battery banks for both in case I'm out longer than expected.

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    How much money do want to spend? I have both and thermal, to me anyway, is like cheating. But for a good thermal, you will be paying thousands as compared to hundreds for a good IR. Advantages of a thermal, in my estimation, clearly outweigh that of an IR. Even though the image may be clearer in the IR, the fact that you can see the heat of a live target makes it easier to define.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    OP said $1k budget. I just don’t see getting thermal that will allow for positive target ID at any kind of real distance at that price point.

A low res scanner is fine, but when you’re about to pull the trigger you have to be able to know exactly what you’re about to shoot. Just don’t see getting that ability at the same distances as digital NV in this price point. And “real” NV is gonna be a long shot as well.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    While we're on the subject........my needs are 25 yards or less for suppressed 22LR.......I need lower power and nothing really seems to fill the need.....

Top Bottom