• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    We lost power for about an hour this afternoon, but the trucks were already in our area. My surmise is that a branch or something fell on or obstructed some power lines and things went south briefly.
    I reckon I celebrated too soon.
    Tree is still on our line from Saturday.
    I guess they started at the other side of subdivision, lol.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    About 10 power Co. vehicles from some other area/state rolled through, passed our house on the main drag, and we haven't seen them again, lol.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    About 10 power Co. vehicles from some other area/state rolled through, passed our house on the main drag, and we haven't seen them again, lol.
    They must have been from the Permian Basin. They'll drive right through an outage area to go have breakfast before getting started.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My surmise is that a branch or something fell on or obstructed some power lines and things went south briefly.
    I consider power outages to be completely unpredictable as to duration until resolution.

According to the crews on my street, "a transformer blew". I don't know exactly what that means but just half of one block was out of power...yet there were three trucks working for more than two days before they got power back.

OTOH, whenever my power goes out, I think back to my grandmother and her ordeal during hurricane Frederick. She was without power for more than six weeks. Then I count my blessings.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Got this email "update" earlier.
    Third one of this type in 48 hours.
    Could work for any part of the Houston Metro area, no useful info at all, lol.

"We know that you have been without power for over 24 hours, and we understand the difficulties this may cause you and your family. As the company responsible for the safe and reliable delivery of electricity and natural gas to our area, we are working hard to get power back on for everyone.

As of Wed. morning, we’ve restored power to 713,000 people, but we know we have over 99,000 without power- of these 40,000 still have high water. Outages from river flooding and reservoir releases are ongoing, but with Harvey finally gone we expect to reach more areas soon. Until then, we continue working everywhere we can, fully all our resources, including helicopters, drones and outside crews.

We will continue to share our progress daily until we can resume providing individual outage updates through Power Alert Service.

In the meantime, please know Houston is our home too. We will keep working hard until we restore power for every one of you.

The sender provided the following contact information.
    Sender's Name: CenterPoint Energy"

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Sometimes, it takes a while. I'm so thankful we didn't lose power for long this time. It makes everything so difficult.

Plus, it gets boring.

That's why we (collectively, not me personally) had so many storm babies born nine months after Ike rolled through.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Last time, during whatever big hurricane hit Texas in 2008, all it took to restore power to our block was me breaking and entering into the abandoned hotel next to the Amtrak station and cutting down the tree that was hanging into the lines shorting out the transformer.

Also, if you haven't gotten gas yet, you'll wake up to a nasty surprise on Thursday morning, Dallas.

All my mags are loaded and I told the wife if she goes anywhere tomorrow, to bring a gun. Kar out.

iMac

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    North Texas
    I got gas on the way home. I told my wife about the long lines. Kind of clicked what was going on. She ran out to get gas. First station was out of gas. She had to wait in line at another station for several cars.
    This is a good friend of mines sons house in Beaumont. This will most likely be a total loss for them.
    49b57f2fb701a81fefdaa77b7e5dcfc2.jpg

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I consider power outages to be completely unpredictable as to duration until resolution.

According to the crews on my street, "a transformer blew". I don't know exactly what that means but just half of one block was out of power...yet there were three trucks working for more than two days before they got power back.

OTOH, whenever my power goes out, I think back to my grandmother and her ordeal during hurricane Frederick. She was without power for more than six weeks. Then I count my blessings.

Good to see you are alright Ben.

Also, might be unrelated, but our HEB gas station was closed for gas, the guy was still in there and but Unleaded price sign was off.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    A few houses in the back of our subdivision had 6ft of water ABOVE the roof. Dozens and dozens had water to the roof.
    Homes that never had water before got water in them.
    We are apparently high enough, so are really lucky..

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Insurance question.
    Does a car dealership need flood insurance, like a homeowner does for possessions, to cover flood damage to vehicles on its lot?

Top Bottom