• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I had 3 cars inspected at 2 different places. None of them were truly inspected. They just checked the wiper blades, horn and break lights. It's a money collecting joke.
    Hurley's Gold

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Go to this link and click on "When was my last inspection date" and enter the VIN number. It should tell you the last time it was inspected.

About Single Sticker | Two Steps. One Sticker. Texas DMV

thank you for that link.

I punched in the VIN and surprise! They DIDN'T inspect it. The last inspection was done in April of 2014

I'll be making a phone call this morning, something about paying twice the legal amount for something and then not getting it and being misled and patted on the back and smiling at me.

:mad:

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    thank you for that link.

I punched in the VIN and surprise! They DIDN'T inspect it. The last inspection was done in April of 2014

I'll be making a phone call this morning, something about paying twice the legal amount for something and then not getting it and being misled and patted on the back and smiling at me.

:mad:
    Daaaaamn...keep us posted.

"Patted on the back" eh?? I haaaaaatttte when people, who aren't my family, do this. Don't touch me with your grubby ass hands like we old chums. Shiit...

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Sooooo.....along different but similar lines....

I bought a new truck last year....has a one year registration sticker and a two year inspection sticker. How do I get a new registration sticker this year when the inspection doen't expire until next year?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

I bought a new truck last year....has a one year registration sticker and a two year inspection sticker. How do I get a new registration sticker this year when the inspection doen't expire until next year?

If your prior inspection is still valid when you go to renew your reg this year, you will not need to get another inspection until you register again in 2016.

Registration sticker expires 3/15
    Inspection sticker expires 9/15

The owner will be able to renew registration in March 2015 and not have to get the vehicle inspected again until 2016 because the inspection sticker is valid at the time of renewal (inspection sticker expires 9/15).
    The following year, before the end of March 2016, both inspection and registration will be due.

Resources | Two Steps. One Sticker. Texas DMV

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    So for $7 why can't you just swing into any place that does inspections and have them run the plates or whatever to check the vehicle to see if it has been sent it? If not get it done then and there. Were talking $7 dollars man. If the dealership screwed you rather than getting pulled over and getting your butt pushed in over not having and inspection.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    If the inspection doesn't expire until April 2015, and you are registering or renewing in March 2015, you do not have to have an inspection until March 2016. If your dealer is getting the plates for you, they will have to prove the inspection dates.

If the vehicle did not require an inspection, they didn't need to do one, but I don't know what they charged you for.

My car registration expires this month, inspection expires end of April. When I renewed, my inspection proof and insurance were in the system, and I got my new registration sticker. I no longer have an inspection sticker and my next inspection has to be within 90 days of renewal next year.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin

That's one way I have justified so many new vehicles since we moved here 6 years ago...the two-year inspection sticker saved me $27 each second year on the new cars(Although my business professors might question buying a $45K vehicle in order to 'save' $25 :) :) :)

Yep...just renew online and it will automatically 'remember' the extra year of inspection-worthiness.
    BTW...it doesn't work that way on new vehicles bought out of state. Our practically brand new C70 had to be 'tested' in Texas to get our original sticker...no two-year pass on that one. Still beats the $400/year we spent on tags for each vehicle back in Atlanta!!!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    ok, I went back today, told them it hadn't been inspected. He saw that look on my face and just took it back and had it done.
    And I got my slip of paper signed by the inspector, showing it had been done just like I thought I should have gotten had it been inspected. Now, I sit back and wait for the registration and lic plates to come in and I'm done.

all is well.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    If you sell a vehicle to a dealer or an individual, you are required to retain the plates by law. I did not know this, and the dealer used our car for personal transportation racking hunfreds of dollars in toll fines for not having a toll tag.

I did get a check from the dealer for the fines, but it was a PIA.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    ok, I went back today, told them it hadn't been inspected. He saw that look on my face and just took it back and had it done.
    And I got my slip of paper signed by the inspector, showing it had been done just like I thought I should have gotten had it been inspected. Now, I sit back and wait for the registration and lic plates to come in and I'm done.

all is well.

Let's hope they didn't spit on your pizza....Oh, wait...that's another scenario ;)

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Where are y'all getting inspections for 7 bucks? I've been paying $28 something. Maybe its the emissions test in Williamson County that costs extra.

Just looked it up and answered my own question. The cost is the same, they just split it up between the inspection station and registration now. So, my registration will be going up $10.25, but state inspection will go down to $18.50. Dang emissions tests, what a rip off.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/CostOfInsp.htm

[h=3]Cost of Inspection[/h] All vehicles registered in Texas are required to receive an annual inspection. All inspections include a comprehensive safety inspection. However, some vehicles are required to have an emissions test, in addition to the safety inspection. The inspection cost is determined by the county of registration and the type of inspection required.
    Inspection
    Type
    Amount
    You Pay At
    Station
    Amount
    You Pay At
    Registration
    One Year Safety $7.00$7.50
    Safety Only (vehicles 25+ years)$7.00$7.50
    Two-Year Safety (new vehicles)$7.00$16.75
    Commercial$40.00 $22.00
    Trailer / Motorcycle$7.00$7.50
    Safety Emissions (El Paso)$18.50$8.25
    Safety Emissions (Travis & Williamson)$18.50$10.25
    Emissions Test
    (vehicles 1995 and older,
    DFW/Houston areas)
    $31.50$8.25
    Emissions Test
    (vehicles 1996 and newer,
    DFW/Houston areas)
    $25.50$14.25
    Emissions-only vehicles
    (El Paso)
    $11.50$2.75
    Emissions-only vehicles
    (Travis & Williamson)
    $11.50$4.75
    Emissions-only vehicles (ASM)
    (DFW/Houston areas)
    $24.50$2.75
    Emissions-only vehicles (OBD)
    (DFW/Houston areas)
    $18.50$8.75
    **Amounts shown are the maximum charge for each inspection type.**
    Counties requiring emission tests:
    Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, El Paso, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis and Williamson
    Gasoline-powered vehicles two through 24 years old are required to have an emissions inspection. If you are in an emission county and your vehicle is newer than two years old, or older than 24 years, you are still required to have a safety inspection. See Emission Testing Information to learn more about the types of emission tests.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If you sell a vehicle to a dealer or an individual, you are required to retain the plates by law. I did not know this, and the dealer used our car for personal transportation racking hunfreds of dollars in toll fines for not having a toll tag.

I did get a check from the dealer for the fines, but it was a PIA.

Yep, you have to submit a Vehicle Transfer Notification within 30 days of sale. It can be done online at that link.

I didn't know that either, until I got a notice of an unpaid parking ticket for the car I traded in months prior. :(

Cheers! M2

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom