• vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I bought a used truck from a dealership
    I noticed that the state inspection sticker was due to expire 1 April

I paid cash, but they still made me go to the finance office to do the paperwork and pay him as nobody else is allowed to take payments.

He had to sign about 6 forms about mileage certificate, title application all of the usual stuff.
    Then on the bill of sale, he went over all of the charges, price for the truck, title application, registration, doc fees, blah, blah, blah and then there was the line

State Vehicle Inspection ---$14.50

I stopped and said "so, you are charging me for a state inspection?"

HIM "yes"

ME "so you did a state inspection"

HIM "I'm not sure, you'd have to check with the guys downstairs on that"

ME "no, I don't have an issue, I'm glad to get it done because it was going out soon"

So, I went back to drive the truck home and ask my salesman about it, to which he said he didn't know
    He got the sales manager out and he told me that they don't put sticker on anymore

And I said, yes... I knew that already, but did you inspect it?
    He said yes

I said, how do I know you did?

He said it was all in the registration paperwork when it comes back in a few days it'll all be fine.

Well I don't think they did it, but how do I know they did or didn't?

I paid for it, I'd like to have some proof. How can I tell for sure?
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you get a registration sticker, it's inspected. You couldn't get the registration without it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    "Don't put stickers on anymore"

I took that to be the salesman are whoever referring to inspections stickers.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep.
    He may not need one for 11 months though.
    He may need one in a week.

He has zero proof that the inspection he paid for actually happened or is in the database.

See post 3, I attempted to clarify on that.

Anyone who's dealt with the fallout won't leave plates on a vehicle they trade (nobody should) and force the dealership to re register it upon sale of the vehicle.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I got my truck inspected last month. They scraped the old one off and gave me a piece of paper saying it was inspected. They told me that the inspection goes into a state "database" and you can't get registration without being in there. I'm holding onto the inspection paper and a receipt. Meanwhile, I've been scraping the inspection stickers off of all of the other cars registered to me.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    "Don't put stickers on anymore"

I took that to be the salesman are whoever referring to inspections stickers.

yes, we were talking about the state inspection and there was no mistake about it.
    He knew what I meant

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I got my truck inspected last month. They scraped the old one off and gave me a piece of paper saying it was inspected. They told me that the inspection goes into a state "database" and you can't get registration without being in there. I'm holding onto the inspection paper and a receipt. Meanwhile, I've been scraping the inspection stickers off of all of the other cars registered to me.

and that was my gripe to him. Why don't I get some document saying it had been inspected by the dealership?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Yeah, if they sent off for new registration it would have to have been inspected.

I hope that's the case... but again, how do I know I got what they charged me for.

Also, I thought the inspection fee went down to $7 with the new sticker-less deal?

I'm telling you, I don't think they inspected it. It was setting in exactly the same spot I parked it in when I left it yesterday and all the salesman said he did was go get it and drive it around.
    This was an older truck they took in on trade and they were going to wholesale but I caught it before they did and bought it instead.
    It was a no frills purchase. I gave them a low ball cash price and they took it.
    No wash job, no free gas, no nothing and that's fine with me. But if I paid for an inspection, they damned well have better done it and I'm gonna need more proof than what I got that they did.

I guess I can go to a friend's place that does then and have him check in the DPS computer to see if it was.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    and that was my gripe to him. Why don't I get some document saying it had been inspected by the dealership?

Is there a new registration sticker on the windshield?

Wife just went through the same thing. I asked the same question, got the same answer you did.
    She still has temp plates, but her (single) sticker on the used vehicle shows 2/16, so I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, everything is copacetic...

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Is there a new registration sticker on the windshield?

Wife just went through the same thing. I asked the same question, got the same answer you did.
    She still has temp plates, but her (single) sticker on the used vehicle shows 2/16, so I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, everything is copacetic...

no, they scraped the old registration sticker off and there is no registration stick on it now.
    but, they at least gave me a piece of paper that acts as the temporary

Top Bottom