• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Okay so my buddy and I went Friday. I am hoping that I can find a range that is more in align with my historical experiences in AZ and not like this one.

We go pay the fee, and want to go to the 50 yd range. Counter guy asks us what we are shooting. I tell him a suppressed rifle and they demand to review all my NFA paperwork. :/ If I was not with my buddy I would have left. Their range-their rules I know but they don't need to see my paperwork. Not like they can verify a damn thing. I could print a form 4 off the web, fill it out myself and poof, anything I want is suddenly papered. It is a stupid illusion of safety. But we get passed that.

We get to the range throughout the next 90 minutes get bitched at for the following violations (we were the only 2 in the bay).
    standing up to shoot, apparently you can only sit.
    shooting my 22LR pistol in the 50yd bay, it is apparently only for rifles -SERIOUSLY WTF?
    Shooting anything without a 4 second delay between shots as that is "rapid fire" shooting.
    One guy said I was good shooting my Glock-Roni faster than 4 secs between shots b/c it was a pistol and then 15 min later someone else said I could not.

So I am looking for a range that is maybe a bit more rationale? Any one around town. Is what I described above normal? I would have been more okay if it was a Saturday and packed with people, but we were the only ones on the 50yd range.
    Guns International

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Not typical for mr on my trips. They are dealers of NFA toys, so It may be related to that. But the rifle range is a rifle range. Bays you can shoot as fast or slow as you want with anything.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Try Cedar Ridge in Bulverde.

After you get past the range rules rundown and get down to the line they will let you be.
    Fire as fast as you want providing that 100% of your shots are within the target frame.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    No, we complained when you dissed Bracken Range.

Bracken range will let you shoot suppressed. Just tell them when you pay your fee.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Bexar you just stop by the front and pay then head out to the range. They don't ask what guns you're shooting. And the office is a good distance from the ranges. Most people drive because it's a long walk.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Most people drive because they're fat and lazy San Antonians who eat tacos in the left lane at 55 MPH.

FIFY.

OP, I have been to BH enough times to tell you your experience is more exception than rule. Bummer though. I do agree with the others that said renting a bay is definitely better freedom-wise.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Never had a problem there. I've only been to the pistol range though. One time when I was the only one on the line, They let me draw from concealment and fire as fast as I wanted. Sorry your trip ended in red tape.

nlghthawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have been enough times that I dread going everytime I go. I have been kicked off of the 50 yard range for not having 4 seconds between shots. I was physically counting the time between each shot but the old crotchety guy kicked me off the range with no refund nothing. I had been going to TBH since the old dude used the front shed as his reloading room and there was nothing else out there. I understand its their property and its there rules, but it is painful to deal with the attitudes they have as a range. there is no where else in 30 miles for me to use so I go back but I do so reluctantly. Its been enough for me to just want to buy land of my own just to shoot on. If there are other ranges post them up. I had never heard of Bexar.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you have a problem with The Bullet Hole's rules then you're doing it wrong. It's more lax than strict by most peoples complaints. The rules at the 50 and 100 make sense. Most fellas are measuring groups or trying to find paper with new glass. If you wanna dump me in your casings while recreating a shtf scenario in your head, rent a private bay. That's what I do when my inner operator comes out.

W

nlghthawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    San Antonio
    Actually, that leads to another problem. The free for all positioning and lack of actual bays means, everyone is getting plinked in the face, on the pistol line. The 50 yard line isn't really any better, regardless if you are getting hit in the face every four seconds or every thirty seconds....its not set up well. If you "getting on paper" is a problem because someone else squeezes the trigger too many times in a minute then who really has the problem?

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    So I am looking for a range that is maybe a bit more rationale? Any one around town. Is what I described above normal? I would have been more okay if it was a Saturday and packed with people, but we were the only ones on the 50yd range.

I wouldn't be too hard on them.

I don't know if you knew it being a recent transplant from AZ, but the Bullet Hole has been in the news for 2 different on-site shooting deaths over the last 3 years, IIRC. While I haven't read each case report and only saw it on the news, both were suicidal idiots renting guns to kill themselves with (suicide notes were found in 1 car), and I believe is the reason at least one other range (possibly more) here in SA changed the way they rent guns (not happening unless you're with a group of 2 or more people).

I don't know anyone that runs the establishment personally, and I haven't kept up with any of the news reports, but I imagine the incredible amount of negative publicity and red tape involving on-site deaths has had a really bad effect on their ability to keep and do business.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Bracken has a reputation for harassing shooters as well. Maybe not as bad as the Bullethole, but it's well known...

Max, that comment of your's is a stretch.

When was the last time you shot there?

Bracken is my go-to-range, and I have never had a problem other than idiots taking their guns out of their cases and "sweeping" the line.

When the range master takes corrective action, it is quite assertive, much like a drill sergeant does in kicking a trainee in the ass.

Be well.

Tremors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    I dislike the Bullet Hole as well. I use to shoot tournaments back in the day and it was cool then. When they got all the range Nazi's, that think they need be confront you because they think you are double tapping when its just two people shooting next to each other. I prefer Dietz gun range off hwy 46. Its a nice relaxing drive in the hill country. If you have a membership the range is open before they open for non members. Most of the members are cool to work with on keeping things safe until the range masters get their and then they are pretty nice as well. Bexar County Community Range is a good range as well. Both are a drive to get to but they are the least restrictive.

Top Bottom