Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just for the record, I agree with everyone who says that BBQ doesn't require sauce.

However, for the sake of completeness, most of the rest of the country believes that BBQ requires sauce; if it doesn't, it's just "smoked meat", not BBQ.

In deference to my fellow Americans, I say that beef brisket in Texas should be naked. Every other protein in every other part of the country is fair game for whatever the locals want to slather on it. I'll try pretty much anything that doesn't have too much mustard in it.
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You want to know who drinks sports drinks? Fat kids!
    Quoted for truth.

Everybody who's seen me knows how fat I am. I turned from a chubby kid to a real fatso the summer after I graduated high school when I learned (in retrospect) that no matter how hard you work and how much you sweat, if you drink your weight in Gatorade daily during the job you're inevitably going to gain weight.

Lucas Mccain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Trophy Club Texas
    My favorite is Head Country Hot. I don't use it much because I agree that good bbq doesn't need it but there are times when I have a hankering for BBQ chicken or sticky ribs.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    For pure BBQ, you never slather the meat with any kind of sauce while it is being smoked. Just rub the meat liberally with a good spice rub, and put it on the rack. Since the typical time to smoke a brisket is 12 hours at 275 degrees, just spray it with a mixture of 1/3 vegetable oil, 2/3 water, and a tablespoon of the rub every hour.

Some folks like to mix grape jelly and a little bit of cider vinegar with just about any cheap BBQ sauce for dipping.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I can enjoy BBQ meat both with and without BBQ sauce. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

My favorite was probably the sauce from Armadillo Willy's back in California. The food/sauce was created by a fella who left CA to spend some time in Texas, then came back and opened his restaurant.

Jlrockboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Midland
    Sauce is ok when you're in pulled pork country like the Carolinas.

Yes, because those poor folk have no idea what good BBQ is. An their pulled pork, that been minced and than covered with a vinegar sauce can be down right nasty. Lets not even discuss their mustard based abortion.

Top Bottom