• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm going to ask a really dumb question. What is the big difference between Blu-Ray and a DVD?

Layman's terms please!

Storage space. A normal single layer DVD has about 4.7 GB of storage, a double layer one holds about 8.5 GB, and a single layer HD DVD holds 15 GB. A single layer Blu-Ray holds 25 GB, while a double layer one holds 50 GB. There's a bunch of other small differences in how they work and how they're made, but that's the main one. More storage spaces means a you can fit more high definition video on a disk.

Both are becoming obsolete due to more and more people either streaming movies, or buying and downloading them to their computers.
    Hurley's Gold

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    But how many people are aware that you could send a fax over those wires? And that commercial fax services date back to the time of the Civil War?
    Faxes would work on open wire but the noise induction was a killer, real men know how to work open wire with glass insulators off a set of hooks.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Storage space. A normal single layer DVD has about 4.7 GB of storage, a double layer one holds about 8.5 GB, and a single layer HD DVD holds 15 GB. A single layer Blu-Ray holds 25 GB, while a double layer one holds 50 GB. There's a bunch of other small differences in how they work and how they're made, but that's the main one. More storage spaces means a you can fit more high definition video on a disk.

Both are becoming obsolete due to more and more people either streaming movies, or buying and downloading them to their computers.

Kind of what I thought.

I wonder how long before cable and satellite TV go obsolete?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yep. Heck, I remember when you actually needed to verbally confirm "Hayes compatible" in relevant conversations.

Now it's time to go completely off-track with discussions of 8-inch floppies and punch cards...
    And paper tape.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Those IBM selectrics were something when they came out.

I can remember when using the computer (mainframe of course) you were charged by the CPU second (fraction thereof) that you used.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Kind of what I thought.

I wonder how long before cable and satellite TV go obsolete?

It kinda already is. Most of what you can watch on TV, you can stream online for a small fee. You get the added benefit of being able to pay a few bucks more per month for no commercials, being able to watch it on your phone, and being able to watch what you want, when you want.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Betamax, Laser Disc and then HD-DVD. I think he was just unlucky when it came to that.
    Don't go dissing LaserDiscs. I've got about 6 feet of 'em including lots of Criterion collector editions, Disney box sets, and a number of rarities on the other end of the scale from Disney. I also have two top-end players, one sitting out and one still packed in the factory box for use when the first one dies. I'll have LaserDiscs available till I die or at least as long as I can still source a composite input adapter for my TV.

Don't get me started on my relatively large collection of pre-recorded reel-to-reel tapes... :)

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Don't go dissing LaserDiscs. I've got about 6 feet of 'em including lots of Criterion collector editions, Disney box sets, and a number of rarities on the other end of the scale from Disney. I also have two top-end players, one sitting out and one still packed in the factory box for use when the first one dies. I'll have LaserDiscs available till I die or at least as long as I can still source a composite input adapter for my TV.

Don't get me started on my relatively large collection of pre-recorded reel-to-reel tapes... :)

No diss from me on them. We used to rent them all the time. I liked them better myself even if they were massive.

One of the nice things about them was that the new releases were usually available at Blockbuster even if all of the VHS copies were gone. That and you could jump to specific points in the movie. Ahead of their time!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It kinda already is. Most of what you can watch on TV, you can stream online for a small fee. You get the added benefit of being able to pay a few bucks more per month for no commercials, being able to watch it on your phone, and being able to watch what you want, when you want.

We first made the transition to the Fire Stick about two years ago. Then it started having problems, so we got a Roku device. I like it much better than the Fire Stick, plus it was a third the cost. Really the only advantage of the Fire Stick was internet access.

Our satellite bill just got stupidly ridiculous in price. Kept increasing, but we weren't getting anything better than what we started with over fifteen years ago.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I'm going to ask a really dumb question. What is the big difference between Blu-Ray and a DVD?

Layman's terms please!
    The main difference between them was the format. Toshiba developed the HD-DVD using the standard DVD format but held substantially more data. Sony developed Blu-ray with their own proprietary format with enhanced digital rights management hoping to combat pirating. The battle between them raged on for a few years and Sony finally won because more movie studios were using Blu-ray. The actual nail in HD-DVD’s coffin came from Disney using Blu-ray because of the “Enhanced DRM”.

Of course both formats were already being pirated at that point. I still have an LG drive in my desktop that reads and writes Blu-ray, HD-DVD, and standard DVD.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The main difference between them was the format. Toshiba developed the HD-DVD using the standard DVD format but held substantially more data. Sony developed Blu-ray with their own proprietary format with enhanced digital rights management hoping to combat pirating. The battle between them raged on for a few years and Sony finally won because more movie studios were using Blu-ray. The actual nail in HD-DVD’s coffin came from Disney using Blu-ray because of the “Enhanced DRM”.

Of course both formats were already being pirated at that point. I still have an LG drive in my desktop that reads and writes Blu-ray, HD-DVD, and standard DVD.

Thank you sir for explaining.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

How is the resolution on the laserdiscs? I just can't remember.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom