Hurley's Gold

Texas Senate passes bill that would ENFORCE ALL new federal gun laws....thanks, CLEET!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I reckon I "identify" as an old west Texas mesquite.
    When the wind blows from the south, I lean north.
    Wind from the north? I lean south. The roots don't budge.
    The foundation is firm.
    What the world sees is gnarled and twisted. Weathered.
    What's rooted below is straight and true.
    Holding fast like a battleship anchor tied to a bass boat.

There's nowhere for me to go. I can’t survive a relocation.
    If they come, I'll be here.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Easy on that broad paintbrush, there....the rank and file I think are with us - it's the brass that wants to make sure they get ALL the candy.

The various LE unions supporting this amendment aren’t doing it because they support 2A and the state and federal constitutions, the unions opposed the bill and supported the amendment because doing so is, in their view, what the members want.

So yeah, pick up that broad brush, especially since CLEAT clearly states they’re the 800-lb gorilla speaking for the street cop and not management.

ETA: these are the same unions that oppose constitutional carry.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    While this did pass a Senate vote, it doesn't mean it's a law yet. This still has to be signed off by Abbott, lets see which way he goes.
    He's a weathervane - points where the pressure is coming from. He just said OK to Constitutional Carry - now we need to make it clear that this bill cannot be signed into law.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Is it the consensus of members that SB513, as amended, should not be signed into law?

Dylan40cal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2021
    Texas
    Sent Abbott an email:

Hello,

I'm contacting you in regards to decline SB513 "Relating to the enforcement of certain federal laws regulating firearms, firearm accessories, and firearm ammunition within the State of Texas; creating a criminal offense."

Sen Bob Hall has introduced an amendment to SB513, that neutered the entire intent and purpose of the bill to make Texas a "Second Amendment Sanctuary" state.

In which reads,

"Amend SB 513 (senate committee printing) in SECTION 2 of the bill, in added Section 40.03, Penal Code (page 2, between lines 62 and 63), by inserting the following:
    (i) It is an exception to the application of Subsection (h) that the person is a local or state law enforcement officer who, as a member of a federal task force or of a joint task force consisting of local or state law enforcement officers and federal law enforcement officers, enforces or attempts to enforce a federal statute, order, rule, or regulation described by Subsection (b).

Subsection (h) reads as follows:

(h) A person commits an offense if, in the person’s official capacity as an officer of an entity described by Subsection (a), or as a person employed by or otherwise under the direction or control of the entity, or under color of law, the person knowingly enforces or attempts to enforce any federal statute, order, rule, or regulation described by Subsection (b). An offense under this subsection is a Class A misdemeanor.

The people of Texas DO NOT want this bill to pass because of this amendment introduced by Senator Bob Hall that completely destroys the main purpose, was in which, to stop local and federal law to infringe upon our second amendment rights, and we ask you to reject this bill to be signed into law, as the people of Texas want a real and authentic "Second Amendment Sanctuary" bill.

I hope it's made clear that the people of Texas want this bill rejected because it's not a TRUE Second Amendment Sanctuary bill, and failure to reject this bill will lose my support for you in the future going forward.

Thank you

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

The MAIIN reason that CC may not pass again is the OPPOSITION of Big City Police Chiefs & Sheriffs.

TYPICAL of the UN-Texan attitude is the comment of the Harris County sheriff who said: We don't need everybody carrying a gun, as that's just The Wild West & vigilante justice returning.
    What we need are RED FLAG laws.

Isn't the Harris County Sheriff at least smart enough to KNOW that the so-called RED FLAG laws will MOSTLY be used by ANGRY/VENGEFUL ex-spouses & anti-gun BUSYBODIES to HARASS their EX & peaceful gun owners??

yours, satx

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    The pols need to focus on the real problems we have instead of covertly trying to facilitate the liberal dream. Leave me alone and focus on the boarder. At minimum please close the loophole that allows uninsured junkers to have a steady supply of paper plates

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I reckon I "identify" as an old west Texas mesquite.
    When the wind blows from the south, I lean north.
    Wind from the north? I lean south. The roots don't budge.
    The foundation is firm.
    What the world sees is gnarled and twisted. Weathered.
    What's rooted below is straight and true.
    Holding fast like a battleship anchor tied to a bass boat.

There's nowhere for me to go. I can’t survive a relocation.
    If they come, I'll be here.
    1606168431550.jpeg.jpg
    b24a8464907aae4d323fd5cbfb21a3f7.jpg

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    To All,

The MAIIN reason that CC may not pass again is the OPPOSITION of Big City Police Chiefs & Sheriffs.

TYPICAL of the UN-Texan attitude is the comment of the Harris County sheriff who said: We don't need everybody carrying a gun, as that's just The Wild West & vigilante justice returning.
    What we need are RED FLAG laws.

Isn't the Harris County Sheriff at least smart enough to KNOW that the so-called RED FLAG laws will MOSTLY be used by ANGRY/VENGEFUL ex-spouses & anti-gun BUSYBODIES to HARASS their EX & peaceful gun owners??

yours, satx
    The Harris County sheriff has just been picked by ol' Jo for a high post in the border fiasco, ICE, I believe so he is just sucking up to his new boss.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Organizations don't die quietly. One of the things that happens to organizations over time is that as it fulfills its mission, it looks for new missions.

Law Enforcement lobbying groups will usually not support anything that seeks to eliminate laws because it's a threat to their very existence. As a whole, in the eyes of LE, gun control justifies their job even more. It gives them another mission and another reason to exist.

So I'm not surprised that CLEAT supported this and Republicans went along with it. CLEAT spends a lot of money in Austin.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Why is the GOA sending me this email praising the Texas Senate's 2A Sanctuary Bill with no mention of the poison amendment that reverses the Bills Intent?

Gun Owners of America
    Texas Senate Takes Action on Constitutional Carry & 2A Sanctuary Bills
    Hey xxxx

Today is the big day: For the first time ever in Texas history, a Senate committee will hear public testimony on Constitutional Carry! CLICK HERE for important information if you are attending the hearing.

The Senate Special Committee on Constitutional Issues convenes at 9:00 a.m. to hear only one bill: HB 1927. After laying out the bill, they will hear testimony from Texans who have traveled to Austin from all across the state. Each person who wishes to testify for, on, or against the bill can speak for 2 minutes. The hearing will last as long as there are people who wish to testify.

This is Texans’ invitation to show up and tell Texas Senate members in person why Constitutional Carry, HB 1927, is necessary for the safety and security of Texas. HB 1927 would repeal the requirement for legal gun owners to get a permit to carry a handgun. It would keep the LTC as an option for reciprocity.

If the committee votes to move HB 1927 forward, the next step would be to pass it on the Senate floor.

We need you to support Constitutional Carry in Austin today

Please join us at the Capitol in Austin if at all possible! It is critical to show strong support. We’ll be arriving at 8:00 a.m., but we expect the hearing to continue for hours. You can still show up anytime during the day.

CLICK HERE for information on how to show up, where to park, where to find us, and how to testify.

If you cannot attend, you can still help!

Watch the livestream from home and give shout-outs on social media to those who are standing up for your rights. (The link for the Constitutional Issues committee will be available from 9 am until the hearing is over.)

Donate a little extra to support our GOA Texas work so we can keep the momentum going.

Be sure your Senator has committed to support Constitutional Carry. We are thankful for the public commitment of Senators Bob Hall (SD1), Bryan Hughes (SD2), Brandon Creighton (SD4), Charles Schwertner (SD5), Angela Paxton (SD8), Kelly Hancock (SD9), Lois Kolkhorst (SD18), Brian Birdwell (SD22), Dawn Buckingham (SD24), Donna Campbell (SD25), Charles Perry (SD28), and Drew Springer (SD30).
    Note that you cannot submit comments online for a Senate hearing.

2A Hero Senator Bob Hall Passes 2A Sanctuary Bill
    We are thrilled that the Senate has also taken action this week to pass Senator Bob Hall’s Second Amendment Sanctuary bill, SB 513. Senator Hall has been a staunch advocate for your rights for many years and is a strong friend of Gun Owners of America.

Senator Hall filed the strongest 2A Sanctuary bill in the Senate. His is the only bill that provides an individual criminal penalty for state and local officers who partner with the Federal government to enforce new gun-grab laws that Texas law doesn’t agree with. Although an amendment was added that omits the criminal penalty for some officers, this bill remains strong.

The primary purpose of the bill is to remove state funding from governmental entities that help the Federal government enforce future federal gun-grab laws that are not in Texas law. That provision is entirely intact.

SB 513 will now go to the House, where Rep. Steve Toth filed an identical companion bill and is ready to champion the passage of SB 513. In an interesting twist, the House scheduled their version of 2A Sanctuary (HB 2622 by Holland) for a floor vote today. However, HB 2622 has a significant exception clause. See our handout for details.

While any 2A Sanctuary bill would provide a strong "Come and Take It” pro-gun sentiment, we are especially thankful that the Senate has passed such a strong bill as SB 513 by Rep. Toth.

Stay tuned for more updates!

As we approach the final month of the Texas legislative session, we want to be sure you are receiving all of our updates and action alerts so we can pass as much priority legislation as possible.

Please join our text alert list for urgent updates: text your zip code to 833-922-1212.

In Liberty,

Rachel Malone
    GOA Texas Director

Felisha Bull
    GOA Texas Deputy Director

Top Bottom