• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • InHouston

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Police officers open-carry and many security guards open carry. Why do we citizens have to conceal our weapon when sanctioned by the State to carry it? In the summer months in Houston, it becomes more difficult to conceal my Glock .45 and extra magazines without having to drape extra heavy clothing around it that won’t blow around in the wind exposing my weapon leaving me to sweat profusely in the heat. I found a nice Air Marshal vest that straps around your chest and conceals your weapon under your armpit and slots for extra mags which is nice. All you need is a baggy T-Shirt and it’s perfectly concealed. But, you can’t draw from the hip and have to lift your shirt or reach down through your collar to get access to your weapon and mags. But it spares you from having a heat-stroke in the summer months.

Let’s arrive at some fundamental conclusions. I’ve read this entire thread, and I think all the points are valid and should be considered from a tactical standpoint. In theory, if you’re openly carrying, you could be identified by a point man on a cell phone to take you out first when his buddies come in to perpetrate a robbery. Plausible? Yes. Probable? I think not. You also have to factor in that the robbers might conclude, “Hell no, I’m not going in there” and wait until you leave. With a concealed weapon, you have to consider they don’t see you as a threat and will come marauding in regardless; so it’s a wash in my estimate. Personally, I don’t think criminals are that smart and that tactical to assess situations to that level of detail. This I do know of criminals in that they usually take the path of least resistance. They’re dumb, but they don’t want to get shot.

So this reduces all this down to one simple question. As a criminal, what would be your primary concern when committing a crime? Where are the police? With open-carry, the criminals have to factor in a much more complex situation to deal with. Where are the police and how many citizens in there are openly carrying a weapon, with more rights to use deadly force than the police? Two deterrents therefore loom upon them. Imagine a community where everywhere you looked, citizens were legally and openly armed in clear view of everyone around them. As a criminal, would you go rushing into a store to rob it when you see one to four citizens openly carrying a weapon? My reasoning leads to no you wouldn’t.

My point is, criminals have to illegally conceal their weapons and they target people they visually believe are not armed. I personally believe vast and pervasive open carry by citizens would greatly reduce a lot of crime in our communities.

Texas48

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    San Antonio
    Last session they were late to the game.

No excuses this session.

TSRA opposes it. Alice Tripp sent me an email stating their position on this issue. The law has no chance for passage. The last legislative session was controlled by the Republicans and campus carry could not be passed because the republican liberal House Speaker Joe Strauss refused to put it on the agenda for a vote. If that law could not pass or even come up for a vote what makes anyone believe that open carry would make it out of committee?
    I would not frequently open carry myself but we should have the choice. The overwhelming reason for me is the way the present law deals with printing. There are more than a few ignorant LEO's that don't know the current law and would love to make life miserable for a gun owner who accidentally prints. Therefore open carry could reduce the possible harassment by LE.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    TSRA opposes it. Alice Tripp sent me an email stating their position on this issue. The law has no chance for passage. The last legislative session was controlled by the Republicans and campus carry could not be passed because the republican liberal House Speaker Joe Strauss refused to put it on the agenda for a vote. If that law could not pass or even come up for a vote what makes anyone believe that open carry would make it out of committee?
    I would not frequently open carry myself but we should have the choice. The overwhelming reason for me is the way the present law deals with printing. There are more than a few ignorant LEO's that don't know the current law and would love to make life miserable for a gun owner who accidentally prints. Therefore open carry could reduce the possible harassment by LE.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

If this is true, then all the more reason for everyone to join and vote for new leadership. Maybe a little research on the TRSA bylaws and what's necessary to stage a coup is in order.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If this is true, then all the more reason for everyone to join and vote for new leadership. Maybe a little research on the TRSA bylaws and what's necessary to stage a coup is in order.
    Their website doesn't really give any details in how one could become involved as an officer in the club. I searched their site for the bylaws and it seems like its listed in their "director's only" section and is not viewable by regular members. Odd that they would conceal such a thing...

I did find this on another website. Who knows how accurate it is, however... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CG8QxQEwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fviewer%3Fa%3Dv%26q%3Dcache%3AyF9B0E0h0WwJ%3Awww.bayouriflesweb.org%2Fml%2Fmail.cgi%253Ff%253Dfile_attachment%2526id%253D20110329175433%2526filename%253DTSRA%252520By%252520Laws%2525203.13.11%252520Draft.doc%2526list%253Dbri22silhouette%2B%26hl%3Den%26gl%3Dus%26pid%3Dbl%26srcid%3DADGEESg5eTfGhrotpCetSGpq2hOpAtKC0Axw-EhQny5RUZWnyhgenNWD_tfWsfyTAIEBCN36atUCNZE025tm1OP_tO_9WVDdEPeFkzOMvDmbvXkzIqn0NRUAAFv5DAP7HscLBfyhMzbn%26sig%3DAHIEtbR_hNknV0nMqRlLX5T1cqUSMXI1qw&ei=jHLfT6S0AeeY2wWkrsX_Bw&usg=AFQjCNHaQDqrQUgH_zkzBsuhjJxpjMNJ-g&cad=rja

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Looks like the board is elected by the members and the officers are elected by the board.

It also looked like the board required 5 yrs in good standing to be eligible, and had to be a life member to be an officer.

I wonder how the structure is related to the TSRA PAC, which is in theory a separate organization from the TSRA. Hmmm......

jeffbaldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    San Antonio
    All concerns about being a target and all that, I'd rather carry as my discretion deems appropriate. Plus, if I carry concealed, and I inadvertently flash my weapon, it is one less reason for some LEO to harass me.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    All concerns about being a target and all that, I'd rather carry as my discretion deems appropriate. Plus, if I carry concealed, and I inadvertently flash my weapon, it is one less reason for some LEO to harass me.
    Oh do tell how many times you have "harassed" by a LEO........................

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    in all seriousness, as someone before me said, this is a freedom thing.

i don't understand how anyone could be Anti-Freedom in this state (outside of austin of course) and still have any teeth left in their head, if you'll excuse my hyperbole.

As freedom loving Americans, Texans no less we should be coming together on this issue, as well as all the others. This isn't about any one of us, it is bigger than that. We are on the verge of making a real difference and taking a large step in the right direction. The only way we are going to go all the way is knocking off the infighting and forming a united front against those that would take all of our freedoms from us.

Even if you personally don't think OC is a good plan, think of it like this, passing that will at least give the jerks another law to nullify before they can get around to an all out ban.

just a thought.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I suppose I'll beat the dead horse a little:

If you don't like open carry - then don't do it. But don't tell our legislators that "no one should".
    That just makes it look like we gun owners are in favor of more restrictions. Something slime - oops, I mean politicians are only too happy to oblige.

Anyway, here's the bat. Who's up next?: :deadhorse:

srstaff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Frisco
    I suppose I'll beat the dead horse a little:

If you don't like open carry - then don't do it. But don't tell our legislators that "no one should".
    That just makes it look like we gun owners are in favor of more restrictions. Something slime - oops, I mean politicians are only too happy to oblige.

Anyway, here's the bat. Who's up next?: :deadhorse:

I completely agree with this. I think way too many people get hung up on the wisdom of the practice when they should be focused on the validity of the right.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I completely agree with this. I think way too many people get hung up on the wisdom of the practice when they should be focused on the validity of the right.

To be honest, I'm in favor of full constitutional carry! Open, concealed, whatever the free and law abiding citizen may choose.

But that right is so far removed from us, that I'll support whatever little measures come up here and there - like this one.

Right now, we've only got licensed concealed carry. This is a travesty to me! No free, law abiding American should need a damn license to carry:
    1. Whatever weapon they feel is necessary to protect themselves and their loved ones,
    2. Whenever they feel it is necessary,
    3. Wherever they feel is necessary, and
    4. In whatever fashion they deem is appropriate!

But our laws are a just a little bit commie right now.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I've read a few posts and just scanned many of the others so ...

I like the idea of OC simply because I can make that choice.

The issue that concerns me personally is one of retention and control. If I lose control of my weapon and someone is hurt, then I could have some responsibility if it is proven that I acted negligently. And it doesn't take much any more to prove a person didn't do everything they could (not everything they thought of) to prevent a wrongful death.

If I carry concealed, no one should know I have a weapon and it's one more barrier between me controlling and losing control of that weapon.

So would I OC? Probably not. But I have no issue if someone else wanted to.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'd love Constitutional Carry, but yeah, we didn't lose 'em in one session and we won't get 'em back in one session. As long as there's a clear roadmap I'm fine with some incremental-ism. What I'm not fine with is TSRA not supporting OC. That's total bullshit - edit - chickenshit.

If I had to compromise then the one area I'd be willing to violate my principles is training. I think training should be voluntary, but if the only way to get OC was to go through the CHL program and get plastic I'd vote for that. After it proved a non-issue w/ the public (no blood in the streets) then maybe work on reducing the mandates for plastic.

Same goes for Campus Carry. If the only way to get it was to do a CHL supplemental class focused on the college setting/logistics then I'd vote for it.

It pains me but I would.

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    I agree with OC in theory from a rights issue stance. However, we are not discussing your right to carry a gun. We are discussing your right to make a gun OPENLY, READILY available to anyone who wants it in a public place.

So, yes I would be for a law recognizing the right to carry openly. Provided that carry is in a level 3 retention holster and that it is defined in the law that that individual (and their estate) is now legally responsible both civil and criminally as an accessory to any crime committed with that weapon.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I agree with OC in theory from a rights issue stance. However, we are not discussing your right to carry a gun. We are discussing your right to make a gun OPENLY, READILY available to anyone who wants it in a public place.

So, yes I would be for a law recognizing the right to carry openly. Provided that carry is in a level 3 retention holster and that it is defined in the law that that individual (and their estate) is now legally responsible both civil and criminally as an accessory to any crime committed with that weapon.

I wouldn't go that far. If you require a retention holster that's actually something the gun owner can control. If someone overtakes them and uses their gun it's not their choice.

To me that's like requiring car seats but still holding the parent liable if the car seat fails and their child is hurt. I don't think it's appropriate to try someone for a crime they didn't commit.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom