• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Can someone who is a Texas LTC Instructor please help?

I have just obtained my NRA basic pistol Instructor course certification, and just finished applying for my Texas LTC Instructor License.

I know that I will get an email to schedule another class in Florence Texas.

What does this class entail? What firearms And ammunition do I need to bring if any? Is their any additional cost for this class? Once I take this class, how long will it take to get my Instructor License? How long will the license be valid? What is needed to renew?

Will I have two cards? Ie My LTC and LTC instructor or will it be the same card? If it’s the same card will my LTC # be the same? Or will it change?

thanks
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    You will have one card.....it will have instructor across the top.......

Qualify with both revolver and semi-auto...take a minimum of 100 rds for each firearm....they will send you a list of approved ammunition.......take back up guns for both...you will shoot the same course of fire as your students...but they have been know to mix it up a little from time to time....

Your LTC is valid for 5 years like everyone else.....Instructors recertify/requalify as instructors every 2 years...........sometimes we go to Florence, sometimes we get another Instructor to sign you off......they will let us know........

Mostly classroom instruction......take it seriously and listen to the DPS Troopers......

Don't be the guy who thinks everyone wants to hear their personal stories......they don't.

Don't know the current wait time for the License after you take the course...it won't be very long though...

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo

Qualify with both revolver and semi-auto...take a minimum of 100 rds for each firearm....they will send you a list of approved ammunition.......take back up guns for both...you will shoot the same course of fire as your students...but they have been know to mix it up a little from time to time....

Your LTC is valid for 5 years like everyone else.....Instructors recertify/requalify as instructors every 2 years...........sometimes we go to Florence, sometimes we get another Instructor to sign you off......they will let us know........

Mostly classroom instruction......take it seriously and listen to the DPS Troopers......

Don't be the guy who thinks everyone wants to hear their personal stories......they don't.

Don't know the current wait time for the License after you take the course...it won't be very long though...
    V.....Did they cut the DPS class down to 3 days??

Tex1961

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2020
    Plano, Texas
    Also to echo some of the things V-Tach said.

You will get an email that will detail what you need to bring with you and he is right, 100 rounds each of revolver and semi auto ammunition.. And a backup for each... Troopers will insect your pistols to make sure they are safe and function correctly... Listen to their instructions carefully and follow them, especially on the range.. You WILL be asked to leave if you are not safe and do not follow instructions...

We were told that at least 1 person per class will get disqualified and sure enough we had ours.. Of course it was the blowhard who knew everything already during the class portion.. Nobody cares about your personal stories so please don't share... The more you yak the longer the day.

I finished up my class on a Friday and by Monday I had my email from the state with my certificate attached... So it can be quick..

Your current LTC # will also become your instructor number, but you won't get a new card until you renew your LTC.. Doesn't matter really nobody will see your card anyway.

One piece of advise though. After your class, download the LTC-16 handbook and study it.. There is no way they can impart all of that information to you in a few days.. It would take a full semester course to learn all of the laws pertaining to Texas Penal codes... And if you get a chance, exchange contact with others in the class, I have a couple of guys that I have become friends with and we help each other out with questions, etc when we need them...

Good luck.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville

So if it’s one license. And your LTC is good for 5, and instructor good for 2, I assume there are two expiration dates?

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville

You will get an email that will detail what you need to bring with you and he is right, 100 rounds each of revolver and semi auto ammunition.. And a backup for each... Troopers will insect your pistols to make sure they are safe and function correctly... Listen to their instructions carefully and follow them, especially on the range.. You WILL be asked to leave if you are not safe and do not follow instructions...

We were told that at least 1 person per class will get disqualified and sure enough we had ours.. Of course it was the blowhard who knew everything already during the class portion.. Nobody cares about your personal stories so please don't share... The more you yak the longer the day.

I finished up my class on a Friday and by Monday I had my email from the state with my certificate attached... So it can be quick..

Your current LTC # will also become your instructor number, but you won't get a new card until you renew your LTC.. Doesn't matter really nobody will see your card anyway.

One piece of advise though. After your class, download the LTC-16 handbook and study it.. There is no way they can impart all of that information to you in a few days.. It would take a full semester course to learn all of the laws pertaining to Texas Penal codes... And if you get a chance, exchange contact with others in the class, I have a couple of guys that I have become friends with and we help each other out with questions, etc when we need them...

Good luck.

Wonder how picky they are about revolvers? I only have 3.
    A black powder cap n ball, a Colt SAA 45lc, and a Ruger Super Redhawk 454. Which I will/can use low pressure 45 colt.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Thanks for that suggestion. Was going to ask for a link, but Bing thought it could find it:
    dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/LTC-16.pdf

Good luck.

Since 2021 is a an Odd year... (Not saying that 2020 wasn’t odd! Lol) our legislatures in Texas are back in session. There are way over 60 gun bills filed. Both pro-gun and Anti-Gun. Many of course duplicates as well.

There is a very is a very good chance that some of them will make it through to Gov Abbot, and get passed. I feel confident he will Veto the bad anti-gun ones.

With that being said... Hopefully the LTC-16 Handbook will be updated before the usual Sept 1, 2021 effective dates for those bills that pass?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Here's a curious question about instructors and trainers who are invested in time, energy and money that give classes for LTC permits.

IF Texas goes Constitutional Carry, and no permit is needed for a lawful person with in the state to carry openly, or concealed, how is this going to affect all these instructors classes and training?

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Any centerfire or rimfire revolver will be accepted in good condition......you will be expected to keep up with the course of fire if shooting single action revolvers....

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    There will always be an LTC for State reciprocity...........and background check exemption........but most will no longer keep their LTC active if we get CC...........a lot of instructors will be doing something else............

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Here's a curious question about instructors and trainers who are invested in time, energy and money that give classes for LTC permits.

IF Texas goes Constitutional Carry, and no permit is needed for a lawful person with in the state to carry openly, or concealed, how is this going to affect all these instructors classes and training?

You will still need a Texas LTC for reciprocity purposes if you wish to carry when you travel to other states. If you never leave Texas. The. You won’t need a Texas LTC.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    There will always be an LTC for State reciprocity...........and background check exemption........but most will no longer keep their LTC active if we get CC...........a lot of instructors will be doing something else............

This is my guess. For the average person that just has one or two firearms and doesn’t do much with them. Hey won’t get or keep their LTC. Especially if they never leave the state. Those that travel a lot, or know that they will trade their gun or buy news ones will probably keep their LTC for Convenience.

Also on quite a few occasions I have needed to have two official photo ID’s. It was nice to be able to show a DL and LTC as the two forms of Government ID.

I am retired and recently obtained my NRA basic pistol Instructor and will shortly be certified to teach LTC classes for Utah, Illinois and Texas.

Utah just passed CC. Yet half the states LTC’s are non resident. I have a Utah LTC so I can carry in Washington (Washington does not recognize Texas LTC)

Interestingly enough, one can’t teach a Texas LTC outside the state of Texas. But once I get my certifications approved, I will be able to teach Illinois and Utah LTC classes here in Texas. Both Utah and Illinois can be applied though the mail or online.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    Any centerfire or rimfire revolver will be accepted in good condition......you will be expected to keep up with the course of fire if shooting single action revolvers....
    Is there a preference for full size or compact/subcompact use for both semiautomatic/revolvers??

Top Bottom