• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2014
    Lawmakers set to debate campus carry, open carry bills
    AUSTIN - Campus carry and open carry, two of the most controversial legislative proposals this session, will be two of the first to be debated by state lawmakers.The Senate State Affairs Committee, chaired by Houston Republican Joan Huffman, will take up Senate Bill 11 and 346 on Thursday. SB11 by Sen. Brian Birdwell, R-Granbury, would allow concealed handgun license holders to carry their guns concealed on college campuses. SB346 by Sen. Craig Estes would remove Texas' 125-year-old ban on the open carry of handguns, but would require those wishing to do so to pass a background check and receive a license.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick recently pledged to fast-track the bills, after gun rights activists criticized comments he made that open carry didn't have the votes to pass and wasn't a top priority this session. Many of the most vocal activists, however, do not support Estes' bill. Instead, they are advocating for a bill filed by Sen. Don Huffiness, R-Dallas, that would allow for the unlicensed open carry of handguns.

WCDUB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    After a quick once-over of the bills relating to open carry, here's my understanding of the differences (please forgive me if I missed something big), in a nutshell:
    HB 106 – License for concealed and unconcealed. Belt or shoulder holster.Dual points of resistance. This bill is a non-starter for me. So every time a police officer sees me with a holstered handgun, he would be within his authority to see if my holster includes "dual points of resistance"? That actually seems more restrictive than what we have now. And how do we define "dual points of resistance"?

HB 164 – License for concealed and unconcealed. Belt or shoulder holster. I'd settle for this, but I don't like the requirement for a "belt or shoulder holster." I have this cute lacy little garter holster for my S&W 642 that would be illegal. I look positively dashing with it on. And where does a purse holster, or fanny pack, or briefcase, or day planner, or back pack fit into the equation? I thought the idea behind open carry was to remove somebody else's authority to tell me how to carry my gun.

HB 195 – “Constitutional Carry”. Removes the requirement to possess a Concealed Handgun License when carrying a handgun in either concealed or unconcealed manners. Does not prescribe how a handgun may be carried (no "belt or shoulder holster" requirement). Does not abolish the DPS CHL program or change any requirements to obtain a CHL. Personally, I don't understand what problem a CHL solves, so I'm strongly in favor of HB 195. I don't know if there's enough support for full, unlicensed, "constitutional carry" in Texas yet. I'm planning to keep my CHL anyway, just for travel, grandkid/school, and purchasing reasons.

Discussion?

HB 195 is also my choice. I don't really understand the objections to it.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    HB 195 is also my choice. I don't really understand the objections to it.

No resistance....just realization that Constitutional Carry isn't going to get passed with the current set of politicians in office. Take what we can get now & push for CC at the next session when we have hard data from OC on our side.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Hearing set on open carry, campus carry gun bills | www.statesman.com

The legislative session’s first public hearing on two high-profile gun bills — open carry and campus carry — will be held Thursday before the Senate State Affairs Committee, where the chairwoman expects a “long and lively” discussion.

Adding to the liveliness, the hearing will not include a bill favored by the loudest and most active gun-rights supporters: Senate Bill 342 by Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas, legalizing “constitutional carry,” which would allow all legal gun owners to openly carry holstered firearms without the need of a concealed handgun permit.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    preyn2,

HB164 would criminalize the conduct of ladies (like my much beloved daughter), who carry handguns in thigh holsters, even when they are licensed to carry concealed.
    (My daughter is a faculty member at UT/Austin & she generally wears skirts & shirts to work & has several holsters, made of lingerie material, that match her various outfits.)

It's NOBODY'S BUSINESS how my daughter (or any other woman) carries her licensed handgun.
    (Truthfully, I'm responsible for her "carry method", as I strongly encouraged her to get licensed AND discouraged her from "purse carry", as purses often get "snatched" & that creates TWO serious problems: It disarms the woman whose purse is stolen AND it arms her attacker!!)

just my OPINION, satx

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    preyn2,

HB164 would criminalize the conduct of ladies (like my much beloved daughter), who carry handguns in thigh holsters, even when they are licensed to carry concealed.
    (My daughter is a faculty member at UT/Austin & she generally wears skirts & shirts to work & has several holsters, made of lingerie material, that match her various outfits.)

It's NOBODY'S BUSINESS how my daughter (or any other woman) carries her licensed handgun.
    (Truthfully, I'm responsible for her "carry method", as I strongly encouraged her to get licensed AND discouraged her from "purse carry", as purses often get "snatched" & that creates TWO serious problems: It disarms the woman whose purse is stolen AND it arms her attacker!!)

just my OPINION, satx

Not sure where you're reading this. The holster requirement only applies to open carry in this bill. So unless she's wearing really short skirts it won't apply.

WCDUB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    opinion

preyn2,

just my OPINION, satx

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    winchster,

Obviously, you have never seen a skirt "ride up", for example, when a lady gets in/out of cars.
    (CHUCKLE)
    IF that happens (and it frequently does in "real life") she is "in technical violation". = In a similar situation, I was once stopped at a "sobriety checkpoint" & asked for my DL/registration/insurance card in Harris County.
    When I reached for my billfold (I'm left-handed) the policeman claimed that I was "brandishing a firearm", because my sports coat exposed my revolver.
    (Only the fact that I was then a SDUSM saved me from being arrested, as the HCSD guy was "looking for something/anything to make an arrest for".)

The bottom line is there ARE numerous LEO out there who are LOOKING for any "possible violations" & will "create" a situation of "being in technical violation" of the laws to "make a point".
    (Pardon me for pointing out that Houston/Harris County is "notorious" for their several departments' antipathy to CC.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mexican_Hippie,

What is "intentional" & what is NOT is your word against a LEO's. = WHICH testimony do you think that a Harris County (& possibly violently ANTI-GUN) judge will believe??

yours, satx

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    winchster,

Obviously, you have never seen a skirt "ride up", for example, when a lady gets in/out of cars.
    (CHUCKLE)
    IF that happens (and it frequently does in "real life") she is "in technical violation". = In a similar situation, I was once stopped at a "sobriety checkpoint" & asked for my DL/registration/insurance card in Harris County.
    When I reached for my billfold (I'm left-handed) the policeman claimed that I was "brandishing a firearm", because my sports coat exposed my revolver.
    (Only the fact that I was then a SDUSM saved me from being arrested, as the HCSD guy was "looking for something/anything to make an arrest for".)

The bottom line is there ARE numerous LEO out there who are LOOKING for any "possible violations" & will "create" a situation of "being in technical violation" of the laws to "make a point".
    (Pardon me for pointing out that Houston/Harris County is "notorious" for their several departments' antipathy to CC.)

yours, satx
    My point was, the bill you mentioned makes no changes to concealed carry. Which makes your point about incidental exposure moot.
    This bill merely changes concealed to both concealed and unconcealed.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    winchster,

OBVIOUSLY Mexican_Hippie & you have much more faith in "certain" LEOs than I do as to what is "incidental exposure" & what they perceive as "intentional" or "brandishing". = For both of your sakes, I hope that you don't run into an ANTI-gun fanatic who is wearing a badge & is out to "make an example of" somebody/YOU.

yours, satx

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    preyn2,

just my OPINION, satx

Your daughter is already breaking the law by carrying on a college campus. That being said, I am rooting for the campus carry bill to pass and agree with your standing that it's nobody's business how you carry. And I don't think any OC law should state where the holster has to be either.

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    winchster,

OBVIOUSLY Mexican_Hippie & you have much more faith in "certain" LEOs than I do as to what is "incidental exposure" & what they perceive as "intentional" or "brandishing". = For both of your sakes, I hope that you don't run into an ANTI-gun fanatic who is wearing a badge & is out to "make an example of" somebody/YOU.

yours, satx
    No, obviously you refuse to read. You are flat wrong about this bill. It will not do what you stated it would.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Mexican_Hippie,

What is "intentional" & what is NOT is your word against a LEO's. = WHICH testimony do you think that a Harris County (& possibly violently ANTI-GUN) judge will believe??

yours, satx

That was specifically addressed last session 2 years ago. LEOs or DAs that disregard the change should expect corruption inquiries and lawsuits. I'm unconcerned.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mexican_Hippy,

I wish that I believed you to be correct. = The "common man's definition" of "OPTIMIST" is a fellow digging into a huge pile of manure & saying, "I just KNOW that there must be a pony under there."

yours, satx

Top Bottom