• ...and so much more!
  • Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    The northbound onramp / merge lane for Cabella's drive / frontage road, ends just about where the truck left the roadway.
    Just a thought, seen it too many times, idiot merging into traffic stomps on the brake rather accelerate, locate an opening and merge at freeway speed.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The northbound onramp / merge lane for Cabella's drive / frontage road, ends just about where the truck left the roadway.
    Just a thought, seen it too many times, idiot merging into traffic stomps on the brake rather accelerate, locate an opening and merge at freeway speed.

The news story I linked showed the Mustang the truck collided with - the reporter said it was "in front of" the truck. It had massive damage to the passenger side door - as if maybe they tried to keep the semi from merging onto the freeway?

Pure speculation, but plausible considering what happened. If the driver suddenly found a car in the way of his lane change and tried to swerve away to the right, perhaps yanking the wheel after making contact...

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    The news story I linked showed the Mustang the truck collided with - the reporter said it was "in front of" the truck. It had massive damage to the passenger side door - as if maybe they tried to keep the semi from merging onto the freeway?

Pure speculation, but plausible considering what happened. If the driver suddenly found a car in the way of his lane change and tried to swerve away to the right, perhaps yanking the wheel after making contact...
    That could very well be the case, the mustang driver probably never saw the truck. Being on the cell phone tends to put blinders completely around ones head these days. When I see vehicles doing strange and bazaar things 99% of the time a cell phone is involved. Hard to see what you are not looking for. The number of times I get pulled in front of during a day is scary. Trucks, cars , pickups even a cop as well.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Yes, that intersection is usually heavily trafficked and it was a green light going east and west. I was so shocked i didnt even think about that traffic

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It depends on the shape of the wall. If it bells at the bottom, you hit at the right angle and your tires can hit before the fender, I have seen cars drive up them. Two on the wall, two tires on the pavement. It is possible.
    It's my understanding that jersey barriers, the kind that bell at the bottom, are meant to lift the vehicle but dump it back down after redirecting it forward. Decades ago I fell asleep behind the wheel of a car with the cruise control set at 70 and drove into a jersey barrier. It worked exactly like that; it lifted the front of the car and dumped me back on the shoulder pointing in a more correct direction.

All that assumes a fairly narrow angle of attack, though. That truck looked like it was hitting the barrier at a not-so-acute angle.

Sad and sobering to see, for sure.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Diesel fuel will burn hot and fast if it hits the exhaust, I recall a wreck over 20 years ago (pre-EPA Diesel exhaust BS) where the guardrail punctured a fuel tank and it burned the truck up - thankfully nothing as spectacular as this as the O/O driver had her kids in the sleeper.
    Did y'all see the truck that fell of the overpass in Houston a few weeks ago, and crushed an SUV below?

Eli

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Some years back TXDOT started installing those cable barriers in the I10 median in our area. They seemed too flimsy to me at the time but they have been incredibly effective at keeping vehicles from crossing the median, including loaded semis. They make it tough for us to get to roadside fires and accidents (some of the time) but overall well worth it.

Top Bottom