• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Not sure if joking. If serious, please skip the last part where you're touch the neg cable to the pos one. Just wait three minutes, then reconnect. That's a lot cheaper and safer.
    Serious, learned it from Chrysler mech manual. I did not believe it at first. Took my new Jeep into the dealer and he said it needed a hard reboot on the ECM to clear all codes and updated tables which forces it to use the OEM tables in PRAM. Since I was an IT guy I said I understand that, how do you do it. He told me and said NO WAY...he said WAY. They came got my Jeep, and took me into the bay and I made him show me in the manual that this was proper procedure, in fact They Xeroxed a copy of it.

Shut down your car and remove the key, turn on headlights, turn off, turn on radio, turn off, remove Neg cable from Neg post and touch to Pos cable ON the Pos post, do this with a rubbing action to insure a solid contact. What this does is to clear codes, remove any LATENT electrical charges such as those in memory, clears all tables and forces it back to the OEM table set. Now start the car and it will learn all new tables over a period of 50 starts.

Systems today are a bit smarter and learn quicker. If you drive from say near sea level up into the rockies, like I did several times a year the trick was when you arrived to do the procedure and it will adjust itself for the thinner air, so you get a different fuel pattern that happens real quick, usually in about the first 5 or so starts/restarts.

It does force you to reset clocks, radio stations and other settings you may have.

When I was at the Ford dealership not long ago for some issues that required a hard reboot, they told me they no longer do that any more. Instead they do it at the ECM itself and it clears all the memory in the ECM and then they completely reload the software. It takes the better part of a day to do it.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    A wine doesn't have to sit around for years and years to be "Vintage ". Vintage refers to the batch of wine produced that particular year, and has a lot to do with the grape production.

So, a good wine can be relatively young, while one that's been around awhile could be crap.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Shut down your car and remove the key, turn on headlights, turn off, turn on radio, turn off, remove Neg cable from Neg post and touch to Pos cable ON the Pos post, do this with a rubbing action to insure a solid contact. What this does is to clear codes, remove any LATENT electrical charges such as those in memory, clears all tables and forces it back to the OEM table set.

LOL, I bet it does!

Systems today are a bit smarter and learn quicker. If you drive from say near sea level up into the rockies, like I did several times a year the trick was when you arrived to do the procedure and it will adjust itself for the thinner air, so you get a different fuel pattern that happens real quick, usually in about the first 5 or so starts/restarts.

Yeah, Colorado gas also comes in lower octane grades than Texas, so having the ECM relearn things shouldn't be necessary.

When I was at the Ford dealership not long ago for some issues that required a hard reboot, they told me they no longer do that any more. Instead they do it at the ECM itself and it clears all the memory in the ECM and then they completely reload the software. It takes the better part of a day to do it.

Yeah, those onboard diagnostic interfaces are slow as hell. On my car, I take the memory card out of my GPS, stick into my laptop and update all the maps within two minutes. On my wife's car, no memory card! Put a USB stick into the jack in the car, start the procedure and then wait 3 hours. With the engine running!

Pre OBCD-II GM vehicles, the proper procedure to read codes and reset error messages and ECMs involved a paper clip and counting blinks from the red light in the instrument cluster. Nowadays, a cheap OBD-II reader makes life a lot easier and cheaper!

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    A wine doesn't have to sit around for years and years to be "Vintage ". Vintage refers to the batch of wine produced that particular year, and has a lot to do with the grape production.

So, a good wine can be relatively young, while one that's been around awhile could be crap.
    So when I serve wine to my guests and I tell them its 'Chardonnay Yesterday' then I can tell them its still a vintage wine...luv it

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    LOL, I bet it does!

Yeah, Colorado gas also comes in lower octane grades than Texas, so having the ECM relearn things shouldn't be necessary.

Yeah, those onboard diagnostic interfaces are slow as hell. On my car, I take the memory card out of my GPS, stick into my laptop and update all the maps within two minutes. On my wife's car, no memory card! Put a USB stick into the jack in the car, start the procedure and then wait 3 hours. With the engine running!
    Only on standard aspirated cars but if you got a puffer sitting atop that motor you need to reset the tables:
    p9040007_med.jpg

Top Bottom