• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I've been bumming around on the net and was looking at LEO jobs and must "have tcleose training" keeps popping up. What is tcleose training? Is there a school or private academy you go to on your own dime? What's the deal here?
    Lynx Defense

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am a TCLEOSE instructor.

TCLEOSE is the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education. The basic Peace Officer Course is the minimum training a person must receive to be licensed as a Peace Officer.

Some departments run their own academy and train you. That is what I did. Some departments do not run an academy and need folks that are licensed. Several community colleges run an academy where you pay and go on your own.

You are in Houston? Edit, I see you are in Dallas. Cedar Valley has one as does Eastfield. You could check the DCCCD website to see if any of the other campuses in the system have one.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Check the Richland website. I know a guy who went to Eastfield and he thought it was good training. They prepared him well for the state test. If Richland does not have a program, Eastfield is not too far.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Cool thanks. I'm just finishing up my fire fighters course just thought I would look into additional options should the opportunity arise.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I didn't know you were a TCLEOSE instructor...I just got my Instructor Cert a couple months ago. What he typed was correct. A friend of mine had done the fire course, then through the basic peace officer course so he could become and Arson Investigator.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    The minimum training hours for a peace officer is about 680 hours. There are academies that host a 6 month session at 8 hours a day, or 11 months at 4 hours a day. My academy was 11 months and graduated with 1100 hours, almost twice that of another local academy that only taught the bare minimum.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    The minimum training hours for a peace officer is about 680 hours. There are academies that host a 6 month session at 8 hours a day, or 11 months at 4 hours a day. My academy was 11 months and graduated with 1100 hours, almost twice that of another local academy that only taught the bare minimum.

do the good academies take gi bill? i poked around a bit and some said they did others didnt specify and ive never used mine so im kinda lost.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    My academy was at the Alamo Area Council of Governments in San Antonio, they took the GI Bill. Although, they arent a local college...I don't know about the other academy. But, most I heard of, do.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    haters-gonna-hate-12.jpg

Top Bottom