Join TexasGunTalk

Tactical boots... what yall wearing?

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by EZ-E, Apr 3, 2020.

1. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    Im in the market for a tactical 8" boot with side zipper. Preferably in sand or coyote color. I know there are tons of options & prices. Ive looked at the Under Armors, S&W, Bates, Reebok, Danner, Merrel & some cheaper options. What are yall wearing that yall find comfortable & not falling apart after a 6 months?

2. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Merrill hiking shoes.
    I don't do boots well.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

pronstar, Mills, Sam7sf and 3 others like this.
  3. HKaltwasser

HKaltwasser Well-Known

I'm currently wearing 5.11 3.0 rapid dry boots. I originally wanted a side zipper, but didn't want to blow them out when I stressed the boot.

These are really comfortable, so far they're holding up after 4 months and I wear them to work(contractor). I'm pretty hard on boots.

You can't really go wrong with Danners. I have 2 Bates, Oakley's, Belleville all in rotation. Oakleys are the lightest, and the Bates seem the toughest so far.
    I have a pair of Bates RAT boots that I have tortured for 6 years and they're just now starting come apart a bit.....most comfortable boots I have but heavy.

Also, check out Salomon boots. LAPD has some good deals right now.

YA2CPRu.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    How hard is the usage? The Oakleys, Nike’s, etc. are what I call garrison boots. You can walk around in them for a few months before they fall apart.

My all-time favorite medium duty boot is the Asolo GTX, although those are hot in the summertime since they’re Goretex lined. The Falcon GV might be a good option. Either should last years. Neither is exactly cheap, but my current pair I’ve had for five years and have been up probably a dozen 14’ers in CO and haven’t given up yet. I still use them regularly.

Rocky SV or Danner for heavy-duty ruck marching.

BuzzinSATX and EZ-E like this.
  5. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I just came accross the Belleville. I like that they are made in USA.
    Nice to know that Bates last & are comfy, but heavy.

Big Green, HKaltwasser and toddnjoyce like this.
  6. HKaltwasser

HKaltwasser Well-Known

The Bates RAT are heavy, just like the Danner RAT Marine boots. I have new pair of Bates hot weather that are a little less comfy but are lighter too. They make all kinds of boots for different purposes.

Some of Danner's are made in USA too. Allot of people like the Belleville, the pair I have are so so on comfort but fairly tough.

Haix,Hanwag, and Lowa make good boots too.

If you're looking for the toughest 8" boots and don't care about weight, the Danners are probably where it's at. There's always sacrifices of some kind between boots.
    I wouldn't take these 5.11's on the long Appalachian trail hike, but they are perfect for how I use them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    EZ-E likes this.
  7. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Bellvilles rock! True story time. When I went to see the Social Security Disability doctor he made a comment about my Bellvilles being heavy. I told him he didn't look like he ever wore a pair of work boots inhis life so I didn't figure he could understand.

Axxe55, Hoji and EZ-E like this.
  8. Petetothemax

Petetothemax New Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Austin, TX
    EZ-E likes this.
  9. Pops1955

Pops1955 Active Member

Mar 10, 2015
    I wear the 5.11 Speed Boot zip sides. All day, everyday, everywhere. Never had any problems. Comfortable and durable. The desert boots are cool in the summer. Pair I am wearing now had for over a year and still feel great.
    https://tacticalgear.com/511-8-speed-3-0-side-zip-coyote
    Usually wait for a sale at LAPG.

10. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    American made Danner’s

Italian made Zamberlan hiking boots
    Merrell MOAB
    Meindl hunting boots

Depends on what I am doing for what I am wearing.
    Yes, expensive, but you get what you pay for

Axxe55, toddnjoyce and EZ-E like this.