• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Thanks. This will come in handy sooner than later.

To the right of the shop\barn between the two trees was a set I was going to tear down. Looks like I'd be served by building it up into a coop.

896LAF.jpg

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Do you reckon that it's so top-heavy that it needs to have the legs buried in the ground like a swing set? Or could you put a wheel on each leg & have a chicken tractor - a moveable pen.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Do you reckon that it's so top-heavy that it needs to have the legs buried in the ground like a swing set? Or could you put a wheel on each leg & have a chicken tractor - a moveable pen.

Even if it was light it would take quite a few chickens to pull it. Do they even make a harness for chickens lol

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I saw one recently that was all wire. The wire was wrapped around the posts, and had a board at the bottom to prevent digging. It may have had a board on one end, and laying boxes mounted on that.

The one in the article looks really junky. No way my wife would allow that in our yard. I think you could make it look better though. Even painting it using the $10 / gallon screw up paint at Home Depot would look better than that.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Here's another couple that might suit that new yard better.

A good friend of mine is really into urban chicken raising.
    I designed and built half a dozen or so, for her and her friends, of this one down through the years.
    I can make measured drawings from the 3D SketchUp model I used to design it with when/if you get serious about it.
    But most anyone handy with tools could build it just looking at these photo:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/ChezPouletAustin_Ranchette

Here's a bigger one that I built for her daughter in Elgin (the same lady for whom I built her strawbale home):

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMzBtLGVEel3xv2i2M9ROsoUuCdJrZSqK9iSmsC

I didn't mean to get that involved in building chicken coops in my spare time, but damn, they wouldn't leave me alone....

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I like that the laying boxes are accessible without having to go inside.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I like that the laying boxes are accessible without having to go inside.

Thanks.
    Was raised on a farm, and we had more than our share of poultry.
    Oldest of 5 children, I was always looking to make my chores easier, so tried to use that experience in the design.
    I did enjoy making them, wished now I'd made one for me, but this city will not allow chickens.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

That's actually a technique for fertilizing the soil and making sure one spot doesn't get too torn up. Let the chickens hang out there a day or two, then move the coop up one spot. They end up benefiting the soil rather than destroying it.

Top Bottom