• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Wondering if anyone can recommend some good .22 pistols for less than $250 a piece (ideally new - buying used from someone out-of-state is a PITA). Mom wants to buy us each one for the local NSSF competition (she's actually more excited about it than I am, which TBH is surprising) and general range use, but we don't exactly want to break the bank.

Edit: One more criteria for the list - minimum capacity of 8 rounds. One of the stages in the local match requires 7 rounds, and there's no "on the clock" reloading allowed.

Right now I'm looking at some of Chiappa's offerings, specifically the M9-22 and SAA 22-10. Both are well within the budget (the SAA is about $210 from Bud's, the M9-22 about $190), and I've only seen a handful of negative reviews for them (and those are usually someone failing to RTFM or using shitty ammo). In addition to the price point, I'd prefer to stay with models that are simple to field strip/clean, or that have a quick learning curve - one reason I'm looking at these two models is that I've already got experience with their bigger centerfire siblings, but I'm willing to branch out into unfamiliar territory if there are any deals to be had.

My two current considerations, if anyone else is interested:

SAA 22-10: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_962/products_id/88304

M9-22: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_962/products_id/411548795
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Heritage Arms .22lr single actions are around that price range.

Should've mentioned, they need to have at least an 8 round capacity (edited into the OP now). All the Heritage guns (a least that I've seen) are only 6 shot, won't work for some of the match stages. They're good guns (in fact I'll probably buy one as a trainer for my kid cousin), but don't -quite- meet my criteria.

Last edited:

Lucas Mccain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Trophy Club Texas
    To bad you weren't around the DFW area. My LGS has a Ruger MKI and MKII both in pretty good condition for $220 for the MKI and $240 for the MKII. I am waiting to see if they go lower then pick them up. I don't really need them but I am pretty sure the MKI is a standard because it doesn't have the MKI on it. I have 4 MKIs and all are great shooters.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    My GSG 1911-22 was under $200 delivered from Palmetto State Armory...

gsg_22_1-tfb1.jpg

These days they're right at your mark...

http://www.southernshootersgunsandg...r-5-barrel-wood-grips-tan-finish-10-rounds-96
    http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=1000031
    http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.american-tactical-gsg-m1911-22lr-5-10-round-ca

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    How tough is it for a first-timer to field strip a 1911 type pistol? That's literally the only reason a 1911-style isn't already on my list (Citadel has a good-looking 1911 for just over $200 thru Bud's, with fiber-optic sights and Hogue rubber grips), I'm nervous that I'll end up breaking/losing parts or fucking something up and bricking the gun. For some reason I'm a magnet for Murphy's Law...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's not as easy as a modern polymer pistol; but it's not too bad either...

I usually don't break mine down too much to clean it, and when I do it's not too dirty inside...

The plus side is that the steel frame makes for a real light recoil and I use mine all the time for first-time shooters. In fact, my nephew's girlfriend shot it on Sunday, the first time she's ever fired a gun. About ten minutes later (most of which was spent going over weapons safety), she was shooting my .45 1911s!

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Oh nice, doesn't seem bad at all. Mkay then, looks like the GSG/some other respected brand of 1911 just made the list, and that Citadel (looks to be built by Chiappa though >.>) just got a bit more attractive. Was there any kind of a break-in period with yours? Reviews for some of the ones I'm eyeballing mention a need to break the gun in with a couple hundred rounds of high-velocity stuff so the gun will run right - only negative reviews seem to be from people that missed that bit in the manual, oddly enough.

sineypem

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2014
    TEXAS
    To bad you weren't around the DFW area. My LGS has a Ruger MKI and MKII both in pretty good condition for $220 for the MKI and $240 for the MKII. I am waiting to see if they go lower then pick them up. I don't really need them but I am pretty sure the MKI is a standard because it doesn't have the MKI on it. I have 4 MKIs and all are great shooters.

Care to tell us where at?

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    The GSG 1911 22 is a great option and just above your range. If you're looking for something a little more accurate, look for a uses Beretta Neos with the long barrel. You can throw a RDS on it more easily than the GSG.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    No break in required on my GSG 1911-22, it's been flawless and a load of fun since I fired my first shot with it. In fact, a buddy of mine bought one from the Gun Shack before they ever had a storefront; and after shooting his I made it a point to keep an eye out for one. It took a while, but I found Palmetto State Armory was clearing them out for $199 delivered (with a $30 rebate from GSG) and I didn't need to be told twice!

I also have a long-barreled Baretta Neos and as A.Texas.Yankee stated they are easy to put a red dot sight on. The trouble is without it the stock sights are pretty weak. I painted the front one just so I could have something to focus on, some people even go as far as to glue a small dazzle on there. Otherwise, it too has been reliable and a blast to shoot. Heck, I can pretty much say that about every .22 handgun I have, including the single-shot bolt action Chipmunk I bought a few years back on a whim! :D

About the only one that's given me any problems has been a Sig Mosquito, and even that got better once I learned to run it really wet.

Good luck with your hunt, I've really gotten back in the .22 world now that ammo is relatively easier to find and I've picked up some great firearms such as a 1952 Stevens 87b and a Ruger American in that caliber. These days I am almost more apt to shoot those as much as I am my AKs!

Cheers! M2

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Still hunting, but the search has slowed to a crawl. Ran into some money problems, so I'll have to postpone ordering/buying for at least another month unless I can take advantage of a layaway program or something.

Really liking the looks of this one: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1163/products_id/99802 fiber-optic sights (major plus for me - I hate black-on-black especially at an indoor range), grips that I already know I like (LGS has them on one of their rental .45 1911s), and well within my budget even with transfer fees. Problem is the reviews - 9 pound trigger on a 1911 raises some red flags in my head, as does the "stovepipes if the mag is more than half-full" claim.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Still hunting, but the search has slowed to a crawl. Ran into some money problems, so I'll have to postpone ordering/buying for at least another month unless I can take advantage of a layaway program or something.

Really liking the looks of this one: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1163/products_id/99802 fiber-optic sights (major plus for me - I hate black-on-black especially at an indoor range), grips that I already know I like (LGS has them on one of their rental .45 1911s), and well within my budget even with transfer fees. Problem is the reviews - 9 pound trigger on a 1911 raises some red flags in my head, as does the "stovepipes if the mag is more than half-full" claim.

Ouch...my GSG trigger is stock(upgraded some upper parts)...5.5# Could likely be a fair bit lower with a good cleaning/polishing

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Ouch...my GSG trigger is stock(upgraded some upper parts)...5.5# Could likely be a fair bit lower with a good cleaning/polishing

Yeah. Hoping like hell that particular reviewer got a lemon of a trigger, or his trigger gauge went wonky, because the gun itself is pretty attractive otherwise.

Also, with any luck I'll be able to order at least one of the options on Friday. Haven't decided what yet - the Citadel is impressive, but the M9-22 is the cheapest, and the SAA-10 should be fairly accurate >.> GAH, too many choices!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I asked Brian Zins what he'd suggest for a low-rent bullseye gun. He said the GSG, simply because it had the best magazines. However, in his sport, he never loads more than 5.

The recommendation from him assumed a trigger job would be done.

So, for what it's worth, there's one arguably-the-best-pistol-shot-in-the-world-champion who thinks the GSG is a perfectly adequate introductory level firearm.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Okay, didn't expect advice from someone like that. Awesome to know, looks like the GSG just got bumped up a bit.

At the risk of sounding ignorant (which I am), what makes the GSG 1911 (I assume that's the pistol he meant) mags so good?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    At the risk of sounding ignorant (which I am), what makes the GSG 1911 (I assume that's the pistol he meant) mags so good?
    I really don't know. Among the dedicated .22s that are built to look like 1911s, there are at least two (I think three) magazine designs in common use. Given all the custom base pads and followers that are on the market, you can get capacities from 10 to 16 rounds.

When I asked him the question, he looked at his coach, Andy, and verified "That's the one with the good mags, right?" before he answered me with finality. Personally, until he told me that I had pretty much ruled out the GSG due to the more complex takedown. A .22 blowback pistol without a fixed barrel is, by my definition, needlessly complicated. He didn't seem to care about that or even about accuracy. He was just assuming (rightly, in my case) that the pistol would be more accurate than I could hold so he zeroed in on another factor that he thought would be significant for me. When you're on a short break in a classroom environment, it's tough to carry on an in-depth conversation.

I assume that he assumed I'd be moving on from the GSG after a season or two if I improved much so, to be frank, I don't think he gave the answer much thought.

Come to think of it, he doesn't play with low-end guns, ever. His competition pistols are all over $5K apiece. Perhaps an off-the-top-of-his-head recommendation from someone whose experience is that far removed from the entry level might not be worth as much as I first assumed.

I'm getting a headache. You're making me think too much. :)

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Okay, didn't expect advice from someone like that. Awesome to know, looks like the GSG just got bumped up a bit.

The GSG 1911 is darned near a clone of the SIG 1911-22. I bought SIG mags and can't tell the difference other than the markings. Darned things are metal and STOUT; however, I understand the base plates are the weak point IF you mag drop onto the ground/pavement.

The pistols are less easy to find since they were German made and the US SIG folks are having a squabble over receiving any more German pistols. For all practical purposes, GSG is owned by SIG, I believe.

Top Bottom