• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    My only source of information about Texas politicians is TGT. As an outsider I am only an observer. My take is he sounds like the lesser of three evils. That said, never let a good politician get complacent. Be vocal and loud about what and where you want his attention. They all suck, but some suck less when they know you are watching.
    Gun Zone Deals

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    My only source of information about Texas politicians is TGT. As an outsider I am only an observer. My take is he sounds like the lesser of three evils. That said, never let a good politician get complacent. Be vocal and loud about what and where you want his attention. They all suck, but some suck less when they know you are watching.

Exactly... Last time he was elected over 60% Texans would rather have someone else as governor... I'm not saying either way... All I'm saying is the people of the state have spoken before and I would not expect a different turn of events this time around as he hasn't done anything impressive as he continues to push land grabs and imminent domain...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    As much as I think Medina could work herself into a decent Governor some day, and I like a lot of what she says, I'm not sure I'm on board with sales tax replacing property tax. And that is said from some one that owns an home and a business that pays a fair amount towards property taxes. There is more than sound bites and feel good statements that go into such a radical change.

I fear we're going to dick around and end up with a Dem in Austin. Anyone remember the Ann Richards days.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, the event turned out alright. There was a small group of us there. Perry showed up fashionably late, of course. ;) Thankfully everyone was very calm and respectful, as this was not intended to be a protest as much as it was more of a request for help in regards to the whole gunshow fiasco. Perry was responsive, and thankfully didn't seem to shrug off any of the questions or clam up in the typical politician manner. A few people talked with him, and in effect he basically said something to the tune of "Get us the facts and we'll see what we can do." (that's not a direct quote) We'll see how that turns out, and if anything comes of it. I'll remain skeptical, though I'm trying to be optimistic as well.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Anyone remember the Ann Richards days.

Boy do I ever. A bit of Texas history for some of the transplants.

When the nutcase drove his truck into the Luby's in 1991 and executed over 20 innocent citizens, one person got mad, REALLY mad. That was Suzanna Hupp. She was a lawyer, handgun owner, and a law abiding citizen. When she and her parents stopped to eat lunch, she removed her handgun from her purse and set it in the car. Yes, people, there was actually a law at one time that said you didn't have the right to have a concealed gun to protect yourself.

When the shooting broke out, she at first thought to herself, "I have a gun, I can make the shot, save our lives". Then she realized it was out in the car. Her parents were killed, and you know the rest of that story.

Since Florida had now approved CCW, she enlisted the help of Marine Vet State Congressman Jerry Patterson to draft a bill for Texas. But, true to democrat form, then boozer and governor Ann Richards declared that as long as she was governor there would be no CCW bill in Texas.

Republican challenger George W. Bush, in his campaign for governor, declared that if he was elected a CCW bill would be the first one he signed. He was, he did. I am forever grateful to him to be able to have that bulge in my pocket.

Texans, true Texans, never forget. I hope we don't now.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    As much as I think Medina could work herself into a decent Governor some day, and I like a lot of what she says, I'm not sure I'm on board with sales tax replacing property tax. And that is said from some one that owns an home and a business that pays a fair amount towards property taxes. There is more than sound bites and feel good statements that go into such a radical change.

I fear we're going to dick around and end up with a Dem in Austin. Anyone remember the Ann Richards days.

The thing about sales taxes that help our state is that it generates an excess fund for our state from visitors and tourists. Hotels and tourist sites get hit the hardest. I highly doubt an income tax will ever fly in Texas.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I am going to change the word "please" from "fool" in an old quote from somebody.. "You can please part of the people all of the time and you can please all of the people part of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time ".. I did not like the idea of that corridor and toll road and Spain involved in any manner but all of us have stupid ideas occasionally. Generally speaking, Gov. Perry has Texans and Texas Gun Owners at heart and I support him !!!!

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I am going to change the word "please" from "fool" in an old quote from somebody.. "You can please part of the people all of the time and you can please all of the people part of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time ".. I did not like the idea of that corridor and toll road and Spain involved in any manner but all of us have stupid ideas occasionally. Generally speaking, Gov. Perry has Texans and Texas Gun Owners at heart and I support him !!!!

Toll roads are supposed to be funded by the tolls that they collect... When they have collected enough tolls to pay off their cost then it becomes a public access road... Not so with new Texas Toll Roads in Texas... our children, our children's children and future generations will continue to send our money to pay for our transit instate, not only out of state but out of country...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I know that are some benefits to the sales tax option, but I think it needs to be studied in depth to evaluate the ramifications on all socio-economic levels. And you just can't point to what works in another state, because all are different in their make up. I see such a tax method as being unjust to the poorer folks. They are not likely to have property that would see relief, and although in theory, since property owners who rent to such people would get a break, they might be inclined to pass that along but there is no guarantee that would happen. The thing about visitors contributing to the tax base when they spend dollars here sounds good, but it can also have a negative effect when conventions etc opt out of Texas because of the high sales tax rate, and people who heretofore, had come to Texas (neighboring states etc) to buy goods and services would be less likely. And what about internet sales, that people don't pay sales tax on (they are supposed to but few do)... will that increase to negate paying sales tax which would also effect the tax income for the state. These are just a few things that come to mind. There are many many other issues that would need to be addressed.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I know that are some benefits to the sales tax option, but I think it needs to be studied in depth to evaluate the ramifications on all socio-economic levels. And you just can't point to what works in another state, because all are different in their make up. I see such a tax method as being unjust to the poorer folks. They are not likely to have property that would see relief, and although in theory, since property owners who rent to such people would get a break, they might be inclined to pass that along but there is no guarantee that would happen. The thing about visitors contributing to the tax base when they spend dollars here sounds good, but it can also have a negative effect when conventions etc opt out of Texas because of the high sales tax rate, and people who heretofore, had come to Texas (neighboring states etc) to buy goods and services would be less likely. And what about internet sales, that people don't pay sales tax on (they are supposed to but few do)... will that increase to negate paying sales tax which would also effect the tax income for the state. These are just a few things that come to mind. There are many many other issues that would need to be addressed.

Texas is already at an advantage over other states, such as California, where for seasonal employees, which there are becoming more and more of with the technology industry, they tax all wages that you earned that year and not just what you earned in that particular state... This makes the technology market in Austin so appealing and also why the movie industry in Austin, Houston, San Antonio and Dallas are on the rise because if you're an actor why would you want to pay California for all of your wages and not just the small portion that you earned there...

Seems unconstitutional paying twice for what you earned once... But then again it is California...

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Interesting observation here. All of this happened while KBH and crew are in town. Typical Washington tricks.
    Cause, reaction, solution, divide and conquer. Open your minds, take in all the facts, make the right decision for the good of our rights and this state. Let's stay united people.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Wonder why Daddy Bush threw his support towards KBH?

I lived in Frisco/McKinney Tx for 5 yrs, we made the mistake of moving to NC for 2.5 yrs, during that entire time we did everything possible to get back to TX...I call it home and don't plan on moving out again...We live in Austin now, thought I still miss Frisco....I said all that to say, whatever Texas and it's leadership is doing can't be all that bad, especially since the unemployment rate is much lower than most other states and the local economy seems better off as well. I don't know anything about the other candidates, but I know what I see on a daily basis around me, so I will probably go with Rick...I do agree that a close race might light a fire under his arse to get off the fence and or make some better decisions with regards to this next term..

I would have liked to have gone to Red's, but didn't know about it in time...

Top Bottom