• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    My wife received a call from Spectrum yesterday offering to reduce our monthly bill by 50% over the next 36 months. I called back today and everything sounded legit until they said "in order to qualify for this promotion we had to pay 6 months up front".

My BS alarm immediately went off and I hung up. Called the spectrum customer service number and they confirmed this scam started a few days ago. They are using several different phone numbers.

If it sounds to good to be true.........
    ARJ Defense ad

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    they said "in order to qualify for this promotion we had to pay 6 months up front".
    Don't tell me. You just buy gift cards?

BTW, there are gift card scams this year. The crooks swap the original cards in the store with doctored cards. If you try to add funds to them, they go offshore (guess where? Hint: Prez is Xi). The news peep said "only buy cards that are kept locked up in the store." Yeah, right. That's not a thing.

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield

BTW, there are gift card scams this year. The crooks swap the original cards in the store with doctored cards. If you try to add funds to them, they go offshore (guess where? Hint: Prez is Xi). The news peep said "only buy cards that are kept locked up in the store." Yeah, right. That's not a thing.
    Never got that far. As soon as I heard the 6 mos in advance, I told him to go try and scam someone else and hung up.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    My GF got the same call this am.
    Makes one wonder if they actually have the phone numbers of Spectrum customers? Or just random, knowing that a set portion of the populace are subscribers. I used to get spam calls offering to help me with my AmEx balance and I have never been an AmEx customer, so going to guess "B".

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Makes one wonder if they actually have the phone numbers of Spectrum customers? Or just random, knowing that a set portion of the populace are subscribers. I used to get spam calls offering to help me with my AmEx balance and I have never been an AmEx customer, so going to guess "B".

I got the same call a couple weeks ago on the number that I use for Spectrum, so they could have their database. I'm sure it's not hard to get.

I'll be honest and I am pretty embarrassed to admit it, but I got this call (voice mail) initially and called back. Indian guy went through his script and after telling me in order to get the 3 year, 50% off deal I would have to pay 12 months in advance. At that point my cheapness saved me and I told him I was not interested. He was emphatic that I didn't have to pay him over the phone, but I still insisted I was not interested over and over until he gave up.
    I didn't think much of it until yesterday when I received another voice mail stating that, in fact Spectrum has ALREADY applied 50% off to my bill, but I would have to call them back for some reason.

The embarrassing part is that I'm usually pretty keen to BS like this and I'm not sure why I didn't immediately pick up on it the first go round, I guess I'm slipping a bit these days. Luckily my cheap ass kicked in :laughing:. Now to be honest, if there was any mention of anything other then it being billed through my Spectrum account or if they asked for any info that Spectrum already had, that would have jumped out to me and stopped the call had it got any further, but I got to think how many people they've gotten with this scam. I could see a few of my elderly neighbors falling for this quite easily.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas

Even worse is that they are scanning gift cards at the store, reproducing them and as soon as you check out and load the cards they are cashing in on them. Make sure the gift cards at the store are locked up so they can't be scanned by crooks.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    AI's are no fun, I just hang up on them. But if there is an actual person, I ask them if their mother knows that they are telephone whores.

Top Bottom