• SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Grrrrreat . . . . Putting a taser on a shotgun . . . . Didn't taser already do this with the shotshell taser.

He'll, adding non lethal trigger to lethal trigger has proven to be a bad idea in practice
    Texas SOT

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I think the Gatling 12 gauge that they ended up with was pretty rad. I continue to like Will. He does cool things for people. Cares about his employees like family. And when he's wrong he mans up. When he thanked Joe for not having said "I told you so." it almost brought a tear to my eye.

You can complain about and nit pick anything, but I love this show and look forward to it every week.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I wondered if the drums were too heavy for the rotational force...otherwise I dunno why they didn't use them. And yeah, I'd like to see the original design too.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I just don't know how he could have let that guy have the electrically driven saiga. My understanding of the law is that would be considered a machine gun, and since it's new, and the guy is not a LEO agency it would be illegal. If he had put a hand crank on it, no issues, but with a motor I think that is a problem. Normally they skirt an legal disclaimer by saying we have to do the paperwork and you must wait for that to process or something like that.

With that idea, I can see a hand crank driven mount for multiple Saigas hitting the market from some one in the near future. (Like they make for the 10-22)

Also why did then not use high capacity drum magazines on it instead of the limited volume stick magazines??? I could see a use for it at a prison where it's mounted and loaded with rubber balls for riot control.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    IT WAS A FRAcking POST 86 machinegune with the electric motor. Hand cranked plus semi auto receivers would be Okay . . . probably.

BUT . . . those looked like Machiengun receivers anyway.

I didn't see any timing mechanism that made a semi auto shotgun fire at one point or another.

This monstrosity made me cringe!

I have to say that Will summed it up when he stated that they tried to cram years of development work into a few days.

I bet the engineers at GE and Dillon AERO were laughing their asses off when they saw this episode.

What i really do not understand is why he didn't bring James DeGroat in. He has made a few miniguns.

It wouldn't have helped! He could have brought the entire Dillon Aero team in and this woudln't have worked. Not enough time!

Anyone know who the "Engineer" was?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    DFW / Amarillo
    What i really do not understand is why he didn't bring James DeGroat in. He has made a few miniguns.

And give credit to a competent person in this business? RJ is the only place in the WORLD that can do this type of work. Dillon AERO? Pssssh. I guess you missed the part where they tell you "don't try this at home!" Do you think that Dillon has a lab like the fine facility that is RJ? I mean, they are about to be playing with the "big boys" on military contracts.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I started watching this with an open mind.
    It had guns and even FA.
    It morphed into a show about an arrogant maniacal tyrant who abuses his employees 'cause he is the 'boss' and starts every show talking about gun safety and regularly shoots off weapon inside the shop and not in the shooting range laughing the whole time.
    A company that ALL it does that puts together mismatched gun parts for another Franken-Gun.
    It pisses me off that this train-wreck of a show gives ALL firearm owners a bad name.
    I have learned that from all of this is that I will NEVER EVER have anything that Red Jacket Firearms has touched.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hmmm...funny - my perceptions of the man is that he's caring and considerate of his employees, gives them credit for their work and glosses over their failures. Sure, he'll blow a gasket once in a while, but he comes back and lets 'em know that things are okay.
    Don't recall him discharging a live round in their shop, unless it's in their range. Maybe I've missed something.
    Yeah - some of his guns are rediculous, IMO - but some of 'em are also just plain fun. Impractical, yeah - without any real purpose, maybe. But he's apparently makin' a pretty good livin' doing it, so....
    Oh - and those that I *know* that own his stuff swear by it. Don't know a whole passel of 'em to be sure - but I've not heard a single complaint that he's failed to perform.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Here's what went wrong

12Ga. Gatling!!!!!!

We needed another 3/8's of length on the outer housing to get another 3/8's of travel for the bolt in order to assure lock up . Our feeling was that it was locking "most of the time" , obviously not good enough . We had a few successful test firings then the failure they aired on TV . We where in the middle of re-drawing it when my investor pulled out . We've since , in response to a DOD general tasking , moved our efforts over to a 5.56 rotary . We are also looking at a .50 bmg rotary design [ yes , I know GE has one , I also know G.D. is on one ] . We'll bring it out when it's vetted and ready and the patent paper has cleared . As for the "TV" crap , I think there may be a basic misconception , we are a "for profit" company , they didn't pick us up off the street , drop us in a shop and hand us anything . I'm building a business , they're tagging along and turning it into a tv show . I do think their approach borders on and occasionally crosses over into Loony Tunes territory but thats the cross I bear in order to get a free commercial every week . Know this , there are details of my business and my customers , just as their are details of my designs that are , frankly , nobody's business . Since we are not in jail , we obviously follow the law . There are times when I [or my customer ] simply have to tell the production company to "****-off" , leaves them and me in the awkward position of "ending" a segment somewhat arbitrarily . Now , I'd REALLY prefer this subforum not turn into some kinda "fan" or "fag" page , there's enough of those . I like this board , have been a member for years , I'd really prefer if we could concentrate on the technicality's of what we do rather then the "who flung the chuck" TV crap . I'll always answer , clear up any thing the TV fuckers left hazy ,I just hope that doesn't turn into the main focus here .

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    It morphed into a show about an arrogant maniacal tyrant who abuses his employees 'cause he is the 'boss' and starts every show talking about gun safety and regularly shoots off weapon inside the shop and not in the shooting range laughing the whole time.
    The only part of that statement that is true is starting every episode with something about don't try this at home which kind of started in the 2nd season because they took a lot of flack in the first season. As I stated before, Will treats his employees like family. Sometimes when you are passionate about what you do, tempers can get hot, but he always acknowledges when he has gone off and he has done a lot of really nice things for people.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I could live without some of the drama and the deadline phrase. Although where I work there always is a deadline. My boss is similar to will and yes he does blow a gasket every now and then.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Jakashh, great link.
    SmileyThumbsUpAnimated.gif

For those interested, he is the where he talks about the magazines, and the future of the 12 gauge rotating shotgun.

Member Question
    Will -

When you first described the design of the eventual 3- magazine fed version (the version you demo'd for teh customer) , I was wondering if the centrifugal force of the barrel rotation would keep the magazines from feeding the individual barrels.

Did you have to change the mag springs in the mags, or did the factory mags work without modification?
    From Red Jacket.
    just put them in the gun's . didn't use drums because they didn't fit inside the mount , easy fix with a cutter , just didn't have time that morning . Guy's , the 12's dead . unless someone wants to step up with about 80 g and order one , it ain't happening . I will be at the AUSA conference in Oct. , if there's hard interest there , I'll pursue it , otherwise , it's over .

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Hmmm...funny - my perceptions of the man is that he's caring and considerate of his employees, gives them credit for their work and glosses over their failures. Sure, he'll blow a gasket once in a while, but he comes back and lets 'em know that things are okay.
    Don't recall him discharging a live round in their shop, unless it's in their range. Maybe I've missed something.
    Yeah - some of his guns are ridiculous, IMO - but some of 'em are also just plain fun. Impractical, yeah - without any real purpose, maybe. But he's apparently makin' a pretty good livin' doing it, so....
    Oh - and those that I *know* that own his stuff swear by it. Don't know a whole passel of 'em to be sure - but I've not heard a single complaint that he's failed to perform.
    Well, I have seen that crazed look in Will's eyes when he wants to flaunt his authority. I know it is his right as the owner but when you cannot even question anything or when you bring up something doesn't look right he tells you to shut the f**k up and get to work. Not someone I would want to be around for any time at all. It is still abuse in my mind and I can see it in the employees reaction but they take it 'cause they get paid by him.

Of course it may just be an attempt to cultivate show drama much like Jr. vs Sr. ~ I don't know.

Being able to weld different guns together is fine I guess and I am sure they can do decent work but nothing I would want or buy.

Still I think the show sends a bad message about firearms.

Top Bottom